When did you first post to this board and what was it about? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When did you first post to this board and what was it about?

I certainly don't recall my first post on July 26/13, but it could have been something about getting out of the Big East which I just loved at the time.

julius hodge recruiting. whenever that was. before that i was a faithful subscriber to the BIG EAST BRIEFS /ORANGE INSIDER.
on line is so much more timely but i do miss those cheap little pamphlets that arrived bi weekly to update us on recruiting in the BE.

Last edited:
Fan for 20+ years (man it feels weird typing that) but member since only 2016.

In a thread about Diamond Stone, here is my exact first post:

In regards to players leaving early:

I'm all for allowing NCAA players to make money off of their name. I know they are trying to work on something like this but probably still a long way off.

1) Players that really aren't ready to jump to the NBA can stay behind and not worry about money. Being able to endorse a product or show up at events would put some scratch in their pockets.
2) You could hypothetically/hopefully cut down on some of the infractions regarding money exchanging hands wrongfully.

As for handles, I have been sutomcat since the early 1990s.

Did you ever consider switching to T-Diddy similar to Puff Daddy's name change?

I had lurked on here for a while, too intimidated to post. But my first post was over my sorrow when I read that Jake Ober, the student who had composed the fantastic “Syracuse Basketball - Let’s Go!” song, had died. I immediately found out that it was ANOTHER Jake Ober, and that “my” Jake was alive and well. I felt dumb.

I later learned to embrace the dumb and have been posting ever since. Great thread, Steve!

Been a lurker since the AOL days, made my first and only post early in the 95-96 season defending coach Boeheim when he was being bashed on the board at the time. My post was met with such vitriol that I dared support Coach Boeheim against the board at a time when this anti-Boeheim sentiment was prevalent, this included a current admin. who also railed away against my supporting coach, Lol.
But I decided the dreaded keystroke demons of the day were not a group I felt the need or compulsion to go to combat with.
No harm no foul, I have continued to read this forum almost every day and enjoy both the glass half empty and the glass half full perspectives.
Thank you all at Syracusefan for continuing to make this board the best forum in all of sports. Now my second post has been made!
Do a third! Do a third!

I'm from the AOL days and came on board after lurking for a bit. I can't recall how I stumbled across the board back then, but perhaps though from Syracuse.com. After a long time lurking, I decided to post. I didn't give much thought to my first handle, as it came easy to me. I was a huge Jimmy Lee fan in my youth, so it was a no-brainer that that was it for me. The world wide web was pretty much in its infancy then, 14.4/28.8 kbps dial-up was it! But man, how great this was!

Being relatively young at the time, I didn't pay much attention to proper grammar, punctuation, etc. as this was the new frontier for Pete's sake and what a place to talk SU sports and that's what really the focus...right? However, this poster who responded to a couple of my posts was so aggressive in attack and additionally belittled the heck out of me relative to my lack of spell checking prowess. Who was this Igor character and why is he coming after me so hard? Aren't we all here because of our love for SU and its hoops, etc. I had much thinner skin then, so I basically said bite me dude and went back to lurking.

I also was a subscriber to "Big East Briefs" back in the day as well as Clark Francis' "The Hoop Scoop." Good times. :)

Last edited:
Here is the absolute true history of this place.

There were a few earlier Syracuse fan boards, but syracusefan.com opened for business on January 15, 2000.

It was started after several Syracuse fans .. disgusted by the sewer-like syracuse.com forum ... started visiting The Boneyard (the Uconn fan forum) and were beginning to take it over based with the volume of their posts.

As a result, Tom (Temery) and Fishy, the founders of the Boneyard, approached me about starting a syracuse forum -- mainly to get the Syracuse posters off the Boneyard. So the three of us started it. Just the three of us. And it debuted on 1/15/00. The original posters were me, Tom and Fishy ... using a variety of aliases to pretend there were more than just three of us.

Our first real poster was Yegorange. And we kept getting more posters from among the Syracuse fans who had been posting on the UConn board.

It then became my job to find more Syracuse posters. I launched multiple raids on syracuse.com, urging posters to come to syracusefan.com, and I was finally banned there.

Once we had a core group of posters here, it was time to find admins and moderators. Based on the content of their posts, I invited a group of people i didn't know (didn't even know most of their real names) to meet for dinner at the Syracuse University Sheraton. The group included bees, Jake, tomcat and Cherie. This was a momentous step in the evolution of syracusefan.com. And the rest is history. (Funny sidelight to that dinner. Cherie was so nervous about meeting a group of anonymous internet geeks, that she brought her husband to the dinner with her).

We were founded as an independent board. Along the way we affiliated with Scout and Rivals... but then we became independent again. Tom (Temery) still does much of the heavy lifting here (non-content related), even though he remains a UConn fan.

Last edited:

There were a few antecedent boards, but syracusefan.com opened for business on January 15, 2000.

It was started after several Syracuse fans .. disgusted by the syracuse.com forum ... started visiting The Boneyard (the Uconn fan forum) and were beginning to take it over based on the volume of posts.

Tom (Temery) and Fishy, the founders of the Boneyard, approached me about starting a syracuse forum. So the three of us started it. Just the three of us. And it debuted on 1/15/00. The original posters were me, Tom and Fishy ... using a variety of aliases to pretend there were more than just three of us.

Our first real poster was Yegorange.

It then became my job to find more Syracuse posters. I launched multiple raids on syracuse.com, urging posters to come to syracusefan.com, and I was finally banned there.

Once we had a core group of posters here, it was time to find admins and moderators. Based on the content of their posts, I invited a group of people i didn't know (didn't even know their real names) to meet for dinner at the Syracuse on-campus Sheraton. The group included bees, Jake, tomcat and Cherie. This was a momentous step in the evolution of syracusefan.com. And the rest is history.

We were founded as an independent board. Along the way we affiliated with Scout and Rivals... but then we became independent again. Tom (Temery) still does most of the heavy lifting here (non-content related), even though he remains a UConn fan.
Did someone have ginger ale at that dinner?

I have been around since the Scout days...mid 2000's or so? Someone slid into my DM's to tell me that this site was built and most of the good posters were moving here. No idea what my first post was about, I was mostly a lurker for a very long time.

Pretty sure I have always been GoCuse14...I can still recall all fun with turkey fryers and tube socks...

Feb 27, 2012. Oddly enough, I jumped right into the deep end, bashing BMK. I'd say that was an early theme for me. I'd like to think I've maintained a high level of consistency with my treatment of skinny centers.

I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest this is true. Baye's primary method of defense is to foul whoever is near him with the ball.

I think the only reasonable answer to the question at the top of this thread is yes.

Been DNABB5 or DNABB544 the whole time (DNABB5 was the Illinois License plate on a Nissan Pathfinder that once clipped me as I was crossing Standart as it was coming out from under Lawrinson after a hoops game in December 1996 - I got an autograph from it)

The first time I posted on Syracusefan.com I believe was before the 2000 Miami football game. Those old Tristan threads...

I had predicted the National Championship on a post I made before driving out to meet my buddy @ Michigan St. He had moved to Minny in 2001 and we met up to see that 76-75(?) win but before the game we went to their trophy case and stared at the glass basketball since we had watched that game together when Michigan St. came back in 2000 in that historic Syracuse meltdown. I also want to take credit for being the first one to note that when Kueth Duany scored double figures Syracuse would win. (Is it archived somewhere?) I made it then went to the game and whislt gone my step-son Limewired my computer to death so I never got to follow up and by the time I found the board again we'd moved. I think.

Last edited:
I have been around since the Scout days...mid 2000's or so? Someone slid into my DM's to tell me that this site was built and most of the good posters were moving here. No idea what my first post was about, I was mostly a lurker for a very long time.

Pretty sure I have always been GoCuse14...I can still recall all fun with turkey fryers and tube socks...

Thinking back...I think I have been around pre-2000's...that would have been Skout and Rivals tho.

Ok so this thread has inspired me to finally change my handle that I’ve had since day one, which is dumb. It’s my old username from Chase-Pitkin. I can’t figure out how to change my handle. Help?

I first "got" internet for my job, around 1995, and it wasn't long before I started poking around for SU sports related content. At that time, the Syracuse newspapers published a weekly [or perhaps bi-weekly] separate publication focused on Syracuse basketball. I used to get that every time, and read the recruiting section. At the time, we were hot and heavy after Stephon Marbury, and Shaheen Holloway in the next class.

One of my friends who is a DIE HARD Syracuse fan [and a frequent lurker / infrequent poster on the various incarnations of the board] suggested that I check out the newspaper website for more in-depth, real time recruiting info. So I checked it out. And there were lots of kernels of info there, mixed in amongst the cesspool.

I remember pondering over the selection of a handle -- my first online "presence" of any kind -- it seemed like such a monumental decision!

I started posting a bit on the recruiting threads, and shortly thereafter rrlbees responded to one of my posts, suggesting that I check out a non-newspaper board where the quality of dialogue / info sharing was of much higher quality. I don't even think it was called syracusefan.com back then, but I went over and was hooked.

The rest is history. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago. Time flies.

Last edited:
Ok so this thread has inspired me to finally change my handle that I’ve had since day one, which is dumb. It’s my old username from Chase-Pitkin. I can’t figure out how to change my handle. Help?

I always thought you worked at Lums. ;)

Send a PM to bees and I think he can take care of it.

Feb 27, 2012. Oddly enough, I jumped right into the deep end, bashing BMK. I'd say that was an early theme for me. I'd like to think I've maintained a high level of consistency with my treatment of skinny centers.

So you were the BMK guy too? I remember I went back and forth with someone on whether he would ever play pro ball - not talking NBA, anywhere in the world. I had forgotten it was you. Oh yeah - I was right :)

It was a cold day in December, 1996. I got my first real job in the professional world after moving from Syracuse to DC (a mere 19 months after my originally scheduled SU graduation date of May 1995, but that's a story for another thread).

It was really the first time I had a regular internet connection. Right there. At my desk. I discovered syracuse.com, and somehow discovered wherever this wonderful place was at the time. I'm still a little surprised I wasn't fired for the time suck.

My first name on the board was my initials, CFR. When I had the chance to meet many of the fine people that frequent this establishment at the November 2001 BC football game, I decided that I hated introducing myself as something other than my name, so I just switched to my name. A name that wasn't my choice by the way, my mom still gets an earful.

I don't know exactly what my first post was, but I would guess it was probably me cyber dry humping Bees' leg for a very detailed practice report at spring football 1997. Those reports were intoxicating, and I do like being intoxicated. But then Quinton Spotwood went down in practice with an injury, and the practice reports went to practice reports heaven forever.

And here I am, some 23 years later, typing this and feeling like I'm in an AA meeting. Peace and love to you all, even the dopes.

There were a few earlier Syracuse fan boards, but syracusefan.com opened for business on January 15, 2000.

It was started after several Syracuse fans .. disgusted by the sewer-like syracuse.com forum ... started visiting The Boneyard (the Uconn fan forum) and were beginning to take it over based on the volume of posts.

As a result, Tom (Temery) and Fishy, the founders of the Boneyard, approached me about starting a syracuse forum. So the three of us started it. Just the three of us. And it debuted on 1/15/00. The original posters were me, Tom and Fishy ... using a variety of aliases to pretend there were more than just three of us.

Our first real poster was Yegorange.

Once we had a core group of posters here, it was time to find admins and moderators. Based on the content of their posts, I invited a group of people i didn't know (didn't even know their real names) to meet for dinner at the Syracuse on-campus Sheraton. The group included bees, Jake, tomcat and Cherie. This was a momentous step in the evolution of syracusefan.com. And the rest is history. (Funny sidelight to that dinner. Cherie was so nervous about meeting a group of anonymous internet geeks, that she invited her husband to come to the dinner).

We were founded as an independent board. Along the way we affiliated with Scout and Rivals... but then we became independent again. Tom (Temery) still does much of the heavy lifting here (non-content related), even though he remains a UConn fan.
debuted on 1/15/00. The original posters were me, Tom and Fishy ... using a variety of aliases to pretend there were more than just three of us.

You did not! Get OUT! Oh, how I would have loved to have seen those posts! Great anecdote from a Person In The Know.

Too bad Dave Babych wasn't Finnish. That would be a cool user name.
Ha, indeed except he sued the team so there’s some drama there. Mark Eaton was also 44 and is from my hometown. Was hoping he woulda lasted longer!

I was on the old board and migrated here when it was formed. I have no idea what was in my first post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom