When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list?

Not me. The guy is totally off putting, crosses the line with his remarks. I don’t want a coach who is hated for his personality. But someone of his ilk, resume, accomplishments, and age for sure would be ideal.

I live in Buffalo, went to UB as an undergrad (SU for grad school), so I keep tabs on the UB program. They're something about Oats that's really off-putting...maybe it's that he throws shade at other programs/teams AFTER the game is over, with no rematch on the horizon. Just my .02, but this is coming from someone who wants to see WNY college hoops to flourish, and for UB to succeed

I live in Buffalo, went to UB as an undergrad (SU for grad school), so I keep tabs on the UB program. They're something about Oats that's really off-putting...maybe it's that he throws shade at other programs/teams AFTER the game is over, with no rematch on the horizon. Just my .02, but this is coming from someone who wants to see WNY college hoops to flourish, and for UB to succeed
I agree on this. Oats has done a really nice job at UB and is destined for greater things. But I don't see John Wildhack hiring a guy like him. When the time comes to replace JB, I think the new coach is going to be as good a person as he is a coach. There won't be controversial pressers or off the court incidents in the newspapers. I think the new coach is going to be polished and savvy with the press and fanbase.

As for the "stepping stone" remarks, our job is in the ACC in a facility that is the largest in the country, with a fan base that outdraws most NBA teams. Our basketball program generates a lot of revenue and has a following up and down the east coast to the extent that we take over most out of town arenas, and you hear our fans at the opposing arena with a "let's go Orange" chant almost every game. We sell something like Top 5 in NCAA merchandise, or at least we did in the not-so-distant past. Our alumni are all over the media. This is not some backwater BS second rate job. We had better do a serious search and not just turn it over to a an untested assistant.
Our alumni in the media are mostly mute

The game is more focused on the outside shot where there are more athletes who are able to make the three pointer or cut to the hole. It s no longer about big guys banging inside. Running strickly a zone is useless. For once I would love to see Boeheim actually take some blame on how poorly we are playing, it is always poor execution. It seems to be like there is no offensive plays being run. I am sure there actually is but whatever plays they are running are not working. Change it up and try something different.
How does a team practice against a zone all the time and not have a clue how to run an effective play against it?
I heard they play mostly man To man at practice

I heard they play mostly man To man at practice
Was this sarcasm?
I thought it was reported we now only play zone in practice.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Gregg Marshall ?
Eric Musselman ?
Mark Few ? Would he ever leave what he built in Gonzaga
Billy Donovan ? Another flame out by OKC in playoffs he could be fired?
Jay Wright ? Time to cash in his chips for the Syracuse job?
Billy Donovan — i'd be worried he would not be in it for the long haul.
Jay Wright — why would he leave? Philly is a better city than Syracuse for one thing. And why would he want to step into the footsteps of JB when he has his own legacy at Villanova? He would be a coup, though.
I'd definitely be talking to Few. Feelers and backchannels and all that Jared stuff.

Was this sarcasm?
I thought it was reported we now only play zone in practice.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Depends on who is practicing what, don’t you think?

Would it make any sense to you if the SU first team offense were exclusively working against a defense they rarely see instead of one they see every game?

Would it make any sense for the first team to practice a defense they would never use?

Depends on who is practicing what, don’t you think?

Would it make any sense to you if the SU first team offense were exclusively working against a defense they rarely see instead of one they see every game?

Would it make any sense for the first team to practice a defense they would never use?
You can skip the snark. Those are precisely the questions i've been asking.

out of the box candidate: tony parker

it will never happen, of course, but i do think tony has what it takes to be an excellent coach. but i think if he wants to go into coaching, he would have his eyes on the nba, so any college gig he takes will be a stepping stone, and nobody wants the school seen as a steppingstone program

although, post jb, that may well be it's ultimate fate . . .

I honestly heard they do play mostly man at practice. Read so much on here I can’t remember the source. Offensively they face mostly man to man and may be the reason

Your sensitivity to snark aside, why would you even ask the question?

Are you probing for some obvious weaknesses in the team's practice strategy?

Seriously. Look at Goosemutt's suggestion that the team must practice against man to man because that is what they face in games. (Ya think!?)

One of the reason JB has committed to 100% zone is specifically because the team has to practice only one defense.

Never count on any new coach (or any human now) to stay more than a few years. Boeheim stayed here because he has never left for anywhere else. People with any experience moving on should be expected to again. What's up with this obsession with permanence?

out of the box candidate: tony parker

it will never happen, of course, but i do think tony has what it takes to be an excellent coach. but i think if he wants to go into coaching, he would have his eyes on the nba, so any college gig he takes will be a stepping stone, and nobody wants the school seen as a steppingstone program

although, post jb, that may well be it's ultimate fate . . .
That makes no sense to me but how about Mark Jackson.

Your sensitivity to snark aside, why would you even ask the question?

Are you probing for some obvious weaknesses in the team's practice strategy?

Seriously. Look at Goosemutt's suggestion that the team must practice against man to man because that is what they face in games. (Ya think!?)

One of the reason JB has committed to 100% zone is specifically because the team has to practice only one defense.
The hell is wrong with you? "Probing for some obvious weakness?" Seriously? You need to unpucker.

Goosemutt said one thing. I'd read something that contradicts what he said. I've asked for that clarification in the past, and still got contradictory responses. If you still need to play 'board authority,' then answer the question and let it stand at that.