When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

When JB decides to retire, who's on the short list?

As I have said before, JB's earned the right to retire on his terms. But when he does leave, the AD whoever they are then needs to go completely out of house for the next coach. NO former players or coaches. We are amongst the Top 8 most attractive jobs in the country and we need to act like it.

Cheers,
Neil
II agree with the first part. Your last sentence is WAY off base. SU may not even be in the top 8 the year JB retires.

1. Hop wasn't too thrilled with the way the fanbase turned on him when he went 4-5.

2. Hop's father is aging. Hop isn't leaving the West Coast anytime soon.

#1 is fallacy, not to mention Hop won't last long even if it had been true as he'll need to learn fast to have/grow thicker skin, especially if he wants to last. Hop left because he knew that his mentor and a guy he practically worshiped did not want to retire in any way, shape or form. JB tried to get the administration to let him stay, but the powers that be said no. Hop knowing this, and immensely struggling on what he believed was forcing JB out against his will, left on that plane, except to Washington instead of Phoenix. But, it's true, that he doesn't know when he's ever coming back again.

#2. Yes, a factor.

Gregg Marshall ?
Eric Musselman ?
Mark Few ? Would he ever leave what he built in Gonzaga
Billy Donovan ? Another flame out by OKC in playoffs he could be fired?
Jay Wright ? Time to cash in his chips for the Syracuse job?

#1 is fallacy, not to mention Hop won't last long even if it had been true as he'll need to learn fast to have/grow thicker skin, especially if he wants to last. Hop left because he knew that his mentor and a guy he practically worshiped did not want to retire in any way, shape or form. JB tried to get the administration to let him stay, but the powers that be said no. Hop knowing this, and immensely struggling on what he believed was forcing JB out against his will, left on that plane, except to Washington instead of Phoenix. But, it's true, that he doesn't know when he's ever coming back again.

#2. Yes, a factor.

All of this is the product of Orangecuse’s overactive imagination. Not a single bit of it is supported by anyone else.

In fact, it directly conflicts with the statements of Wildhack, Boeheim and Hopkins. In order to accept Orangecuse’s story you have got to assume that all three people who know what happened are blatantly and publically lying.

My advice is to stop watching daytime soap operas. They are distorting your perspective.

People think he's too old to coach effectively.

I don't think he is too old to coach, he just needs to adapt to the way college basketball has changed. You can be old as long as you are willing to change.

All you say is true.

But unfortunately, none of it matters all that much. A "hot" coach, who likely has other alternatives, is not going to be asking "How much merchandise fo they sell".

Instead, he's more likely to be asking about the do-ability of the task than the average attendance:

1. Can I win there against ACC competition? Can I do as well or better than Boeheim was doing? (Because that's the floor on the expectations)
2. What happens if I don't? How much time do I have to install my system? (How much time will it take to install my system, if it is significantly different from Boeheim's approach?)
3. How hard is it going to be to recruit given the current competitive landscape.
4. How much will I be paid and under what Terms and Conditions.
5. Will my family like it there or will my wife start complaining the day after the moving truck leaves?

Georgetown went through it's list of "Coaches we would like to have" pretty quickly, finding out --- to the shock and surprise of their fans --- that none of them wanted the job. They finally had to twist Ewing's arm to take it.

I'd say confidence in how this is going to work out is unwarranted.

Credit where credit is due: this is a very good post.

Everyone should repeat question #1.

Can the new coach do better than Boeheim has in the last five years? Once more, can Coach X outperform Hall of Fame Coach Jim Boeheim?

This will not be an easy transition for anybody. Fans' expectations are based on 40 years of excellence, but the program's sitting in a puddle of mediocrity right now. From an SU fan's perspective, SU plays in the biggest arena in the country; from a prospective coach's experience, they play in a barn that's under 50% full for most of the season (and barring a crazy turnaround, ticket sales are going to drop next year).

OMG, how long do we have to listen to this Howard's ankle bs? There is no more time to "turn the corner". If he doesn't stick it up and go all out, he needs to be a sub. This team has to start winning now or playing like a "contender" won't mean a thing in March unless we somehow win the ACCT.
Excuses are just excuses.

This post lacks any common sense, displays a lack of knowledge of facts, and confuses the meaning of excuses and reasons.

All of this is the product of Orangecuse’s overactive imagination. Not a single bit of it is supported by anyone else.

In fact, it directly conflicts with the statements of Wildhack, Boeheim and Hopkins. In order to accept Orangecuse’s story you have got to assume that all three people who know what happened are blatantly and publically lying.

My advice is to stop watching daytime soap operas. They are distorting your perspective.

I have a relative that is an executive with one of SU's largest boosters and travels on occasion privately with other members of the basketball coaching staff, unnamed here by you. It's interesting how much one of those boys in particular likes to drink, especially on these small private planes and what they may share.

You are free to believe what you wish to believe.

I have a relative that is an executive with one of SU's largest boosters and travels on occasion privately with other members of the basketball coaching staff, unnamed here by you. It's interesting how much one of those boys in particular likes to drink, especially on these small private jets and what they share.

Is it like that episode on Seinfeld where the Boss sent George to be the liaison to the Astros on their upcoming inter-league play? Because that was one of the funniest episodes of all-time.

He's the PG/QB/Boss of the team. We go how he goes. I would rather he goes 60% now and gets to 90+% by March, than he goes 80% now and is at 0% percent in March because he re-injred himself. Patience Grasshopper.
Lol

This post lacks any common sense, displays a lack of knowledge of facts, and confuses the meaning of excuses and reasons.
No. I get that the team struggled early due to injuries. That is a reason. At week 9 of the season, it's become an excuse, especially when it's acknowledged that he's at or near 100%. This team has had plenty of time to adapt and they haven't improved, unless 2-1 against crappy conference opponents is improving. That tripe on Saturday looked just like our other losses this season and GT might be the worst team we play all season.

I have a relative that is an executive with one of SU's largest boosters and travels on occasion privately with other members of the basketball coaching staff, unnamed here by you. It's interesting how much one of those boys in particular likes to drink, especially on these small private planes and what they may share.

There’s a reason “heresay” isn’t allowed in court. And it wouldn’t be unusual for people who say they are “in the know” to exaggerate or to interpret incorrectly.

This isn’t about what you believe, it’s about what you write or say. I would want a better source before I accused these guys of lying publically.

But that’s just me. Some people have lower standards of personal behavior.

There’s a reason “heresay” isn’t allowed in court. And it wouldn’t be unusual for people who say they are “in the know” to exaggerate or to interpret incorrectly.

This isn’t about what you believe, it’s about what you write or say. I would want a better source before I accused these guys of lying publically.

But that’s just me. Some people have lower standards of personal behavior.

I understand, again, you're free to believe as you wish. And, regardless of your disparaging remarks, it won't have any affect on me.

Based upon your posting history, I realize you've been around the block a time or two. Therefore, I know that you're aware that what is relayed in public may be quite a bit different (at times) then what is communicated privately.

If you and your relative are trying to say that the public’s/fans reaction to hops 4-5 record and him being the HC in waiting had zero effect on Hop, you’d both be wrong. But maybe you’re trying to say something else.

If you and your relative are trying to say that the public’s/fans reaction to hops 4-5 record and him being the HC in waiting had zero effect on Hop, you’d both be wrong. But maybe you’re trying to say something else.

Not implying that it had zero affect, just that it did not carry the immense amount of weight in being a proximate cause in his departure. As I stated above, had it (for argument sake) Hop would have to learn at warp speed to have/grow some thicker skin, especially if he wanted to last as a head coach, considering he had zero experience in that role prior to that 9 game stint.

#2. Yes, a factor.

And then there's #3, the most plausible reason he is unlikely to return, which nobody seems to want to talk about. He was promised the job by a certain date, that date was postponed, and then postponed again. Hop lost heart that JB would ever give up the job willingly, and Mike, as he said in at least 1 interview, "Didn't want to be that guy" who pushed JB out the door.

But the fact of the matter is that he was strung along for about a decade as "Coach in Waiting", until it must have seemed to him that wasn't going to get a chance at the top job until he was as old as Bill Guthridge was at UNC when he took over for Dean Smith.

And then there's #3, the most plausible reason he is unlikely to return, which nobody seems to want to talk about. He was promised the job by a certain date, that date was postponed, and then postponed again. Hop lost heart that JB would ever give up the job willingly, and Mike, as he said in at least 1 interview, "Didn't want to be that guy" who pushed JB out the door.

But the fact of the matter is that he was strung along for about a decade as "Coach in Waiting", until it must have seemed to him that wasn't going to get a chance at the top job until he was as old as Bill Guthridge was at UNC when he took over for Dean Smith.

Ohhhh, the agony of it.

Being paid a princely salary in a very secure job and given extremely important tasks which effectively groomed him to be a head coach.

Well, it all worked out. He was able to throw off these shackles of oppression (false promises) and find a place where he has a chance to succeed or fail on his own.

They're right, he can't.
OK smart guy. I will tell you what. The coaches you and the other arm chair AD's want to come here know JB. They know how intelligent he is and how hard he works and I guarantee they don't think he's done. They would look at what he's up against trying to be top tier in the best conference in college basketball and how after winning so much for so long, people here want to ship can him because his team is going through some struggles, much do to injuries to key players. And they would think to themselves that this would be a tough situation to take over after Boeheim, with a high chance of failure.

Belichick. Alsacs's mind = blown
I joked a baseball team should hire Belichick he is smart and can read analytics to make moves.
It’s not like the manager needs to have any experience anymore.
If we could get a Belichick I would be willingly to give him up as I have had first class football rooting for 20 years now.