When Should JB retire?

When should JB retire?

• Retire at end of this season

Votes: 116 69.0%
  • Announce after this season that 2022-23 will be his last

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Sometime between 2024 and 2026, he’s got one last shot

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Ride or die, to death do us part. JB is a lifer.

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After next season he should hang it up... Boeheim has earned a full year retirement tour too. Have to land a big hire with previous head coaching experience. I like our assistants but I don't think one of them taking over the reigns would be the best thing for the program.

Hes on record saying he doesnt want the tour

When JB goes out it will be like what Roy Williams did. A couple weeks after the last game he'll announce. He won't want to pre announce and have a farewell tour like K. I could see it after next season if that's another non tourney season like this one is shaping up to be.

Ahh I gotcha. Well even if it isn't a "tour", I think like Trueblue25 said it would be a good way to get some buzz around the program again, especially if we are going to be searching for a new HC

I want him gone as soon as possible. He’ll probably never leave out of spite.

An option
Mark Turgeon stepped down at Maryland. He’s usually pretty consistent. Has top 25 teams every year. Makes the tourney.

I know everyone wants Oats or Wright but we have to be a little bit realistic on who would actually come here.

At the end of the year… hire Mike Boynton and try to retain as many of the assistants as possible. I’m guessing Red would move on but Allen and Gmac would be retained if they wanted to stay. Hire Stevie Thompson to replace red if he left.

Nate Oats is never coming here, he's making more than boeheim and alabama is giving him anything he wants/needs. He makes almost as much as out football coach does. The SEC has become a player in bball outside of kentucky and they are here to stay. They are a legit league now.

At the end of the year… hire Mike Boynton and try to retain as many of the assistants as possible. I’m guessing Red would move on but Allen and Gmac would be retained if they wanted to stay. Hire Stevie Thompson to replace red if he left.
Why? Take out his one year with Cade Cunningham and he is a below average coach, not much of an upgrade compared to the current situation with JB&CO.

Why? Take out his one year with Cade Cunningham and he is a below average coach, not much of an upgrade compared to the current situation with JB&CO.
Who would you hire? He’s recruited great talent to a eh program in Oklahoma st imagine what he would do with New York City and New York in general. The zone is outdated and will never be the same because more and more shooters will be coming through the college ranks. It’s time to make a move to someone who can relate to the players.

After next season he should hang it up... Boeheim has earned a full year retirement tour too. Have to land a big hire with previous head coaching experience. I like our assistants but I don't think one of them taking over the reigns would be the best thing for the program.
If they are going to move on then the program needs to just do it.

The reception for a Boeheim retirement tour wouldn’t be that great anyway. Going into wake or NC state….Besides like one or two schools I don’t think ACC fan base would care. It would be more for the cuse fans. If they were still in BE i could see it.

Who would you hire? He’s recruited great talent to a eh program in Oklahoma st imagine what he would do with New York City and New York in general. The zone is outdated and will never be the same because more and more shooters will be coming through the college ranks. It’s time to make a move to someone who can relate to the players.
Personally I'd hire Pitino, Boynton is a great recruiter but has failed to show much more. I think the more important question is, are we going to spend the money at the echelon we think our program is. I would've liked Porter Moser, IMO he would've been a slam dunk but that ship has sailed. The next HC is likely going to get 3M+ unless we go cheap and promote an assistant.

Personally I'd hire Pitino, Boynton is a great recruiter but has failed to show much more. I think the more important question is, are we going to spend the money at the echelon we think our program is. I would've liked Porter Moser, IMO he would've been a slam dunk but that ship has sailed. The next HC is likely going to get 3M+ unless we go cheap and promote an assistant.
If we hire Pitino we’re in the same spot we are now in a year or two down the road. Might as well hire a younger guy. Pitino is a really good coach but recruiting is a big deal now. Need good players to win.

Im not sure you can announce it if there is no named successor.

Even if he announces its not like a few tournament wins won't have JB changing his mind and trying to stay on longer.

The more stubborn he is the more backlash he deserves. I would not be surprised to start hearing fire Boeheim chants if he is back next season and we are losing by a lot. He shouldn't be allowed to hold the program hostage and leave it is ashes.

When JB goes out it will be like what Roy Williams did. A couple weeks after the last game he'll announce. He won't want to pre announce and have a farewell tour like K. I could see it after next season if that's another non tourney season like this one is shaping up to be.
Yes

Hws earned the right to coach his sons but after this year we really should move on. Unfortunately SU doesn't really do that, Babers is in year 7 and has been awful 6 of those years

I would say that he's been "awful" once (1-10), "bad" twice (4-8), and "mediocre" (5-7) twice

If we hire Pitino we’re in the same spot we are now in a year or two down the road. Might as well hire a younger guy. Pitino is a really good coach but recruiting is a big deal now. Need good players to win.

Pitino is a GREAT bridge coach, in my opinion. Two / three years to keep us at a relatively high level, bring some juice back to our recruiting. Then when Rick retires (again), bring in a young guy.

Pitino is a GREAT bridge coach, in my opinion. Two / three years to keep us at a relatively high level, bring some juice back to our recruiting. Then when Rick retires (again), bring in a young guy.
Selling our soul to the devil great idea.

I get that hes friends with JB but the guy owned Boehiem over the years JB has won a lot of games and been very good head to head against all the other top coaches he played a lot apart from Slick Rick.

No way. Pitino 5 years younger probably works but you are rolling the dice on age. JB aged as well as any coach post 70 but still...look at our recruiting.

Do people actually like the guy and I'm alone in hating Pitino? Also if we are talking coaches we dislike I'd take Willard over Pitino due to age.

I don’t get why Oats wouldn’t come here? We should be able to pay the same and coaching at Syracuse is way more prestigious than coaching basketball at Alabama.

It just makes too much sense he goes out with his sons.

Let’s face it, our incoming recruiting class is solid but not full of guys that will be big contributors right away. This isn’t Dior or Lands or Westry. I like the class but it’ll be a few years before those guys really produce.

Would JB really come back for Joe, Jessie, Benny and our freshman? That team is a potential disaster unless you land a stud transfer (or 2).

I think if Dior and those kids still were coming, JB would give it another shot. But next years roster could be worse than this years.

I am definitely intrigued by someone like Boyton. But there is a side of me that is curious to see how GMac coaches a roster that was put together by JB. I would just be super curious to see how he’d utilize Joe and Benny; how he’d use the freshman, his defense, etc.

I am not sure the in-house choice is the best move. But it would make for a super interesting season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom