When Tom Brady left the Patriots Re: Syracuse basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When Tom Brady left the Patriots Re: Syracuse basketball

CUSE fans(what i think are a majority of them) are tough...they are "traditional" to a fault.
But they are also "aging". We grew from Louie and Bouie. We grew from a rocking Manley fieldhouse and the "ZOO". remember the student section when the other team was introduced,,,"WHO'S HE? and the 5th guy got..."BIG SH=T". And that's why the dome HAD to be built, JB was the perfect guy for the job 40+ years back.
But the act has worn thin...JB has worn out,,,the attendance drops...the product is no where near dynamic
and the fanbase is no longer growing. Players don't come or stay here. You have a better chance of "losing" this program if JB stays than if he leaves.

There was a portion of the “Patriots” fanbase that were Brady fans first and Patriots fans because of that. Around 10-15%. Who became Bucs fans because Brady left.

I am wondering as it pertains to Syracuse basketball how many fans are Jim Boeheim fans first and root for Syracuse basketball because of him and if he wasn’t the coach would lose interest or switch team.

The point is do you think that he is bigger than the Syracuse program or not?

One potential losing season is not why their is a portion of this fanbase frustrated.
It’s NOT entitlement. It’s wanting to see everything done with our resources to be as good as we can be.

That is the frustration.

The analogy of Tom Brady and Boeheim is interesting. Both took hometown discounts to allow the program to flourish. Both are winners, and both are incredibly good looking men capable of magazine cover spreads.

All that really matters is whether "the money" will lose interest. That's what will truly drive our success in the new NIL era (AKA, cheatin in the open).

All that really matters is whether "the money" will lose interest. That's what will truly drive our success in the new NIL era (AKA, cheatin in the open).
Yup..the money plays a big part.
So can "the money" show up with "on the bubble" or less seasons?
Do we really want to find out?

Yup..the money plays a big part.
So can "the money" show up with "on the bubble" or less seasons?
Do we really want to find out?

I don't know. I've thought Boeheim should be out since the NIT loss to Ole Miss. But I'll continue following the team whether he coaches them or not (my preference is not). But then again, I'm not "the money"" either.

I've been a SU fan for about 40 years so JB has been the only coach. I can't see not being a fan if/when he leaves. In fact I have often wondered what various teams would look like under different leadership especially since zone only & 2.5 man bench has become the norm. I really think that learning/playing man would help on offense and zone defense. I hope that the fan base is prepared for a fall off as coaching changes rarely show immediate rewards. Just maybe the turn down in fortunes the past few seasons will actually minimize what ever falloff there is.

Season tix sold for JB's last season vs the 1st season under next coach will be telling.
New coach plus 1-2 exciting freshmen and/or Portal Prizes may fill more seats.
Expect lots of interest in seeing how the new era unfolds.

There was a portion of the “Patriots” fanbase that were Brady fans first and Patriots fans because of that. Around 10-15%. Who became Bucs fans because Brady left.

I am wondering as it pertains to Syracuse basketball how many fans are Jim Boeheim fans first and root for Syracuse basketball because of him and if he wasn’t the coach would lose interest or switch team.

One potential losing season is not why their is a portion of this fanbase frustrated.
It’s NOT entitlement. It’s wanting to see everything done with our resources to be as good as we can be.

That is the frustration.

I think it is such a unique situation, because it is practically unprecedented to have one coach remain with one team for so long.

So for some fans, they may be unable to separate JB from Syracuse basketball, because he's BEEN Syracuse basketball for nearly five decades.

But all good things must end, and we are rapidly approaching the finish line. The sun will still come up after JB retires, no matter what direction the AD decides to go in to find his replacement.

My guess is that the fanbase will embrace a new direction, if results follow suit.

I think it is such a unique situation, because it is practically unprecedented to have one coach remain with one team for so long.

So for some fans, they may be unable to separate JB from Syracuse basketball, because he's BEEN Syracuse basketball for nearly five decades.

But all good things must end, and we are rapidly approaching the finish line. The sun will still come up after JB retires, no matter what direction the AD decides to go in to find his replacement.

My guess is that the fanbase will embrace a new direction, if results follow suit.

The Jim Boeheim off ramp is 100% going to be unpredictable. You can't have a country run by one dictator for decades and then assume things will be the same post the king.

It may be much better, it may be post Coach P bad, it may be what it is. No one knows. Kansas never had a downturn, UNC did.

The Jim Boeheim off ramp is 100% going to be unpredictable. You can't have a country run by one dictator for decades and then assume things will be the same post the king.

It may be much better, it may be post Coach P bad, it may be what it is. No one knows. Kansas never had a downturn, UNC did.
I’d love to have UNCs downturn. Final four the year after Dean left, one bad year after Doherty then 3 national championships with Roy. 6 final fours or better since we won our title.

I’d love to have UNCs downturn. Final four the year after Dean left, one bad year after Doherty then 3 national championships with Roy. 6 final fours or better since we won our title.
That's what I was thinking when I was looking at their yearly records. They pivoted in the right direction pretty quickly when Doherty wasn't the answer.

That is the frustration.

I can’t imagine there are any fans that are JB fans but not Syracuse fans. It just doesn’t work like that for coaches. The Brady analogy isn’t appropriate. People LOVE players. They tolerate coaches and GMs.

The real question is the age old “what if” of JB versus a different coach. Much like a debate about starters or minutes, you only get to see one outcome, not what would happen with the alternatives so this debate is unlikely to ever end.

If JB retires after this year and we suck under Autry, people who think JB was a good coach can gloat, because we’ll never know if Autry actually did really well in that season compared to what JB would have done. The reverse is also true.

I'm an SU fan since Ernie Davis and Dave Bing. I like or admire or criticize SU coaches but I'm a fan of the teams, the school and the area. Fred Lewis, Roy Danforth, Jim Boeheim and whoever, it's all SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom