When Two Out of Three is Bad | Syracusefan.com

When Two Out of Three is Bad

SWC75

Bored Historian
2012: I’ll Have Another

In subsequent years no other horse seemed to step up to the place in the Triple Crown and the popularity of racing seemed to be fading. Then along came another Kentucky horse, named “I’ll Have Another”, named not after a desire for adult beverages but for his owner’s, (J. Paul Reddam”), attitude toward for his wife’s chocolate chip cookies. From such things come the names of race horses. He was trained by Doug O’Neill and ridden by Mario Gutierrez. He won three of his five races leading to the 2012 Kentucky Derby.

He used a great stretch run to catch Bob Baffert’s favored Bodemeister and win by a length and a half. Bodemeister was nonetheless installed as the favorite for the Preakness. I’ll Have Another again caught him down the stretch, this time winning by a neck. The two races reminded people of the battles between Affirmed and Alydar 34 years before and made them wonder if they would see a third and another Triple Crown.

But Baffert pulled Bodemeister out of the Belmont. Then I’ll Have Another developed a tendon problem and was scratched. There was speculation that a new rule that all the horses for the Belmont had to be stabled together in one barn for three days before the race so they could be observed by track officials had something to do with the withdrawals. Union Rags, who had been rated second to Bodemeister going into the Derby won that and the Triple Crown had to wait for at least another year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom