When was our last home buzzer-beater win? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When was our last home buzzer-beater win?

Someone already mentioned Griff against Seton Hall - was that one not at the buzzer? For some reason I always thought it was...

Someone already mentioned Griff against Seton Hall - was that one not at the buzzer? For some reason I always thought it was...

No, I went back and checked (terrific use of an hour yesterday afternoon). That one was with about seven seconds left; Seton Hall got off a shot and Damone Brown blocked it.

We had Mike Hopkins hitting one of two free throws with a couple seconds left, Pearl against Georgetown in '86 with about 15 seconds left, Moten against 'Nova in '92 hitting a three with a few seconds left, Billy Owens hitting free throws to force overtime against Georgetown - several like that. But none since Pearl's BC shot was a true buzzer-beater.

Not that I could tell, at least. There were a couple of one- or two-point games on orangehoops.org (St. Joe's and St. John's in the early '90s, among others), but I couldn't find game stories for them.

If memory serves, we've had a number of them away from home. Gerry at the Garden, Gerry at Georgetown, Conrad at the Spectrum, Marius Janulis against Iona, Blackwell's wild shot at the Garden.

I recall Stevie Thompson stealing an inbounds at UCONN (or Providence) and going coast to coast for the winner in 88 or 89.

Also against UCONN, there was the LeRon Ellis put back dunk at the buzzer in 1990 or 91 which sent the game into OT at the Dome.

I recall Stevie Thompson stealing an inbounds at UCONN (or Providence) and going coast to coast for the winner in 88 or 89.

Also against UCONN, there was the LeRon Ellis put back dunk at the buzzer in 1990 or 91 which sent the game into OT at the Dome.
I've been looking for that Stevie game forever, I can't believe it's never been played on ESPN Classic! Also, not the dome, but didn't Michael or Rock (can never remember which) hit a 3 at the buzzer to send GW game into OT in Manley?

I've been looking for that Stevie game forever, I can't believe it's never been played on ESPN Classic! Also, not the dome, but didn't Michael or Rock (can never remember which) hit a 3 at the buzzer to send GW game into OT in Manley?
Yup. Michael Lloyd. We lost in OT

Wow, the mystery deepens. There may not be a dome instance EVER where Syracuse hit a time expiring basket to win the game when trailing. Unreal.

Leo Rautins?

I would say Pearl's shot fits the definition. SU won it on his made basket with no time left, just like Valpo on Drew's basket - two WINNING shots. I would agree it's more dramatic and emotional to win a la Drew's shot because of the immediate either/or win/loss factor but Pearl's was still a winner.
This. No time on the clock, shot wins the game = buzzer-beater. Granted, hitting a shot at the buzzer when you're down a point is a bit more dramatic.

This. No time on the clock, shot wins the game = buzzer-beater. Granted, hitting a shot at the buzzer when you're down a point is a bit more dramatic.
We have had some such wins on the road. Conrad McRae at 'Nova. And, of course, John Wallace vs Georgia in the tournament. And, Cipolla in the same game to beat the buzzer and get us to OT in the first place.

Last one I can remember where a buzzer-beater turned a loss into a win at home was Marty Byrnes vs BC in '75, Roy Danforth's last team.

We have had some such wins on the road. Conrad McRae at 'Nova. And, of course, John Wallace vs Georgia in the tournament. And, Cipolla in the same game to beat the buzzer and get us to OT in the first place.

Last one I can remember where a buzzer-beater turned a loss into a win at home was Marty Byrnes vs BC in '75, Roy Danforth's last team.
Wallace wasn't at buzzer. Uga had a good shot rim off.

Wallace wasn't at buzzer. Uga had a good shot rim off.

Georgia's shot would not have counted even if it went in, was after the buzzer.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom