Where do we finish in the polls? | Syracusefan.com

Where do we finish in the polls?

skurey

Living Legend
I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd imagine a few teams ahead of us have lost in their bowl game and looked less than stellar doing so.

I believe we were 20th before bowl season so maybe top 15 is a possibility?

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd imagine a few teams ahead of us have lost in their bowl game and looked less than stellar doing so.

Teams that will definitely drop below us due to losing their bowl:
18 Miss State
16 WVU
17 Utah

15 Texas will likely lose to Georgia, but it's iffy how far they drop.

I see us finishing at #17.

Do they bother doing another Playoff poll?

If not, we're already #17 in the AP and Coaches with Texas and West Virginia poised to drop blow us (assuming Georgia beats Texas). Penn State was 13 and 12 respectively.

So 14 or 15 I guess.

Hoping to sneak in at 15. Losses from 7, 8, 9, 12, 16, 17, 18. I think if Texas loses tonight, which they should, we can make it to 15. I don't think we can jump 7,8 and 9.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no final Playoff Ranking, so only the AP and Coaches Poll will release a Final Poll. Coming into bowl season, we were #17 in both. We should jump:
13 Penn State,
14 Texas (assuming a loss to UGA tonight)
15 WVU

So we should be atleast 14 with a possibility of higher if we pass Washington and/or Michigan.

Gun to head, I think we finish #14 in both the AP and Coaches Poll which would be our highest finish since 2001 where we also finished 14.

My bad -- I was incorrectly basing it on the playoff poll.

My bad -- I was incorrectly basing it on the playoff poll.
I’m wondering how much the #20 ranking in the CFP poll will affect us too.

We will finish 13

Certainly possible with Washington getting curbstomped by Ohio State at the moment. This would be loss #4 for the Huskies. If we can get to 13, would be our highest final AP ranking since 1992 when we finished #6.

Certainly possible with Washington getting curbstomped by Ohio State at the moment. This would be loss #4 for the Huskies. If we can get to 13, would be our highest final AP ranking since 1992 when we finished #6.
Why the McNabb years were so frustrating under Coach P. We had the talent to finish higher and always had a few What The Frig losses. NCSt, a mediocre OU, Minnesota, etc...

Last edited:
Why the McNabb years were so frustrating under Coach P. We had the talent to finish higher and always had a few What losses. NCSt, a mediocre OU, Minnesota, etc...

I think 19th is the highest we finished with McNabb.

AP Ranking
19th in 1995
21st in 1996
21st in 1997
25th in 1998

14th in 2001

Yep. Just one of those head-scratching periods of SU sports. We overachieved in some ways but underachieved in others.

1995 - loss at home to ECU (finished a decent 9-3 but we were only ranked team win)
1996 - loss on the road to Minnesota (finished 4-7)
1997 - loss at home to NC State (finished 6-5)
and 1998 was a whack-a-doodle year with the Tennessee (eventual NC) loss at home by 1 point, beating a 10-3 Michigan team at their place, and losing again to a so-so NC State team this time at their place.

Cheers,
Neil

CFP did not update the ranking in the final week. We were ranked #17 on AP and Coach Poll. But most teams close above us won their bowl games. We may only jump West Virginia.

#16 Most likely.
#15 If we also jump Penn State.
#14 If we jump Penn State and Michigan (10-3).

We need Texas to lose last night, but it did not happen. Also Washington (10-4) almost beat Ohio State, I don't think we can jump ahead of them, unlike Michigan lost big on their bowl game.

1995 - loss at home to ECU (finished a decent 9-3 but we were only ranked team win)

We were winning that game 21-0 early 2nd quarter, also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom