Where do we want to be sitting when the music stops? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Where do we want to be sitting when the music stops?

If big-time football breaks away from the NCAA, what form would it take? All of FBS? The Power 5? The football factories in their own mini-NFL? And where would we want to be? Trying to compete with the football factories or settling down to be the equivalent of a mid-major in today's football set up but playing other schools with similar profiles for a championship we might actually win? SU will want to be where it can make the most money. But will that be the best place to be competitively?
I can't believe how much I don't care - 2002 me wouldn't have believed it. It's certainly not because I've matured.

all this restructuring and constant worry is exhausting. things never work out the way i predict so even if what i think would be bad actually happens doesn't mean it will be and vice versa

I can't believe how much I don't care - 2002 me wouldn't have believed it. It's certainly not because I've matured.

all this restructuring and constant worry is exhausting. things never work out the way i predict so even if what i think would be bad actually happens doesn't mean it will be and vice versa

I agree. I don't care whatever happens, happens. It's not worth worrying about at all and certainly not going to lose my mind over any of it. If it happens 10 years from now then I will probably care even less

At some point the boosters of bottom feeders have to come to realize they are getting zero return on their investment and decide to move on to something better. There's that old joke, "If you can't tell who's the patsy when you're sitting at the poker table, then you're the patsy." They big boys are going to suffer competitively because they're going to find less padding for the schedule. No more "buy" games and a lot fewer of the bottom feeders.

"Everyone" wants to compete at the highest level. How many plans for 64/48/{pick another number} teams have you seen on message boards? I see it on The Sabre and wonder how far up their anal orifices do some of our fans have their heads, let alone SCAR's and Kentucky's. But when the ADs tell them the price tag for "bare survivability" many will reluctantly see the light.
I've said from the time the SEC added A&M, if I am Ole Miss, Miss ST, Arkansas, Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, SoCar, I vote NO to any school with more football history than Arkansas and any school with a stadium that seats more than 70K. SEC football already at 14 was too deep in terms of history and talent availability and fan base size for half or more of the league to be able to win more than 7 regular season games more than back to back seasons. Adding Texas (a 100K stadium and endless 4 and 5 * players in TX) and OU (more wins than any program in the country since WW2) makes winning even harder for SEC teams that are not Bama or LSU or UGA or UF, etc.

You guys talk like people are incapable of recalibrating their expectations. In a ~40 team super league the standards of success would change. Just because someone wants a 10-2 season in the current landscape doesn't mean they won't understand that a 7-5 playoff berth season in the new landscape isn't "good" as well.
These are spoiled fans used to 9-15 wins a season right now. Attendance will dip for the middling or worst teams in the NFL Jr.

Just look at Jacksonville

These are spoiled fans used to 9-15 wins a season right now. Attendance will dip for the middling or worst teams in the NFL Jr.

They are still going to get $100 million plus a year, they should be able to have very strong runs periodically. That's how it goes in the NFL.

I get your point, but I also think you guys are overstating things.

5 of 14 SEC teams had 9+ wins last year.
7 of 14 B1G.
3 of 10 Big 12.

Problem isn’t teams suddenly doing worse (although, it will take some getting used to). It will be the lack of governing body to curb cheating. If they don’t get serious about parity, it will be a distilled and consolidated version of what’s already broken in CFB

They are still going to get $100 million plus a year, they should be able to have very strong runs periodically. That's how it goes in the NFL.
The fans Don't get the money

Some NFL teams go on a 10-20 year odyssey of suckage...Even with high draft picks conversely college is all about recruiting. That destroys casual fan souls and some hard core souls too.

The fans Don't get the money

Some NFL teams go on a 10-20 year odyssey of suckage...Even with high draft picks conversely college is all about recruiting. That destroys casual fan souls and some hard core souls too.
Syracuse is on a 20 year odyssey of suckage. A lot of teams that were good before go through lean times. Nebraska, Texas, UW to name a few more. I just don't see it being all that much different. Teams have been paying for talent for...ever, in football and basketball. At least if your in the P2, your program will be fully funded.