Where does Eric Dungey rank all-time among Syracuse football QBs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where does Eric Dungey rank all-time among Syracuse football QBs?

If I had to choose a QB to lead my team, it'd be Dungey out of that group. Loved all of those guys, but if Dungey played on those teams back then with that overall talent around him, it would've been lethal.

1) McNabb
2) Dungey
3) McPherson
4) Graves
5) Philcox
6) Kevin Mason

Dungey loses this bowl game, me and Sir Charles are taking him out of our 5...

Imagine the responses if you made this thread four years ago if he could be an all-time great.

Not a ranking guy but enjoyed watching him play and very happy he choose SU and he created a lot of wonderful memories on the Hill.

I cant believe somebody brought up the Farneski's and Tim Wilson...The second SU game I attended, had Wilson as QB vs Pitt in 1978. SU lost 18-17. Dont forget Jim Donahue...He went 6-5 in '75...

Don't forget Tim Wilson.
Or the Farneski brothers
GaseousBeautifulAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

David Sarette threw 10 TDs in 1959 (a great total back then) and had a passer rating of 164, and was the 3-year starter for teams that finished 1st, 14th and 19th (all three of those teams appeared in the Top 5 at some point).

Why is he nowhere to be found on this list but mediocre QBs like Hunt, Patterson, Paulus and RJ are listed?

McNabb
McPherson
Graves
Dungey
Hurley

Graves is underrated. He had a bad senior season but his first 3 years he was so clutch. If we were down in the last few minutes you just had that feeling he was going to lead to a score.

I don't know where to put Dungey. I've had polarizing views on him. He's a special player, and a good player, but it's hard putting a guy among the greats that has lost so much (yes, the talent around him was limited, but he was still the QB of record) and that heading into NC State we weren't even sure was going to end his senior season as a starter.

1)Mcnabb- Best overall but was he really a winner?teams dissapointed
2)Dungey- what can you say just brings it !
3)Mcpherson-different world as a QB than todays game

4)Hurley-totally different world than Today, he was every bit the runner as Dungey and the rest. Plus played on my personal favorite SU team of all time the 1979 team which featured NFL Hall of famer Art Monk, 12 time NFL 1st teamer and third leading scorer in NFL History Gary Anderson. My second favorite SU Player of all time Joe Morris. a really really good NFL player in Guard Craig Wolfley and a pretty good NFL Linebacker in Jimmy Collins. They were they were the saviors of SU football of that era kind of like the 2012 team.

5) Graves, was up and down sometimes but was pretty damn good

Perry would have been awesome if everyone else would have quit screwing up! Grandma told me so!
PP doesn’t make the Top 5 modern era SU QBs. But PP would have been much better if he had even one good knee.

Modern Era = Dome Era
1. McNabb
2. McPherson
3. Dungey
4. Graves
5a. Nassib
5b. Philcox

If Notre Dame has Rudy then we have Dungey. He is the most inspirational leader we've had at QB. Possibly transformational for the culture of the program (I don't have any idea what happens at the team level) once HCDFB came onboard. Literally the team was not able to win without him.

I also remember McNabb's cool under pressure. That's an entirely different kind of leadership and what was maybe most appropriate at the time given our being ranked all the time. I'm still hurt by the beginning of the 1998 season and that took a whole team to produce that result but really underlined the inconsistency of Coach P's teams. Did not do McNabb any favors.

The only other QB on that list that I'm familiar with is Nassib. He was a solid QB. Marrone was also not a risk taker on offense so Nassib only showcased just so much of his talent. Solid gets him a #5 in my book because it sounds like no one under 70 on this board witnessed anyone within sniffing distance of the top five.

1. McNabb
2. Dungey
3. Nassib

I never really got to experience anyone prior to McNabb and who you choose for the 4 and 5 slots from the other QB's post-McNabb don't really matter to me. RJ Anderson beating ND was pretty cool though and I thought Terrell Hunt had some talent. Obviously Graves and McPherson are legends but I didn't get to live through it and enjoy it.

1)Mcnabb- Best overall but was he really a winner?teams dissapointed
2)Dungey- what can you say just brings it !
3)Mcpherson-different world as a QB than todays game

4)Hurley-totally different world than Today, he was every bit the runner as Dungey and the rest. Plus played on my personal favorite SU team of all time the 1979 team which featured NFL Hall of famer Art Monk, 12 time NFL 1st teamer and third leading scorer in NFL History Gary Anderson. My second favorite SU Player of all time Joe Morris. a really really good NFL player in Guard Craig Wolfley and a pretty good NFL Linebacker in Jimmy Collins. They were they were the saviors of SU football of that era kind of like the 2012 team.

5) Graves, was up and down sometimes but was pretty damn good

Good post. I loved that team also.

Hurley just might deserve #5 over Nassib.

1. Joe Fields
2. Drew Allen
3. Troy Nunes
4. That one kid who got sacked into oblivion under GERRRG
5. The kid who was so bad his grandmother had to make a handle to defend him in this very message board.