Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games? | Syracusefan.com

Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games?

Eric15

Living Legend
For me personally, I put last night #2 among my SU favorite games ever:

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn

Last edited:
For me personally, I put last night #2 among my SU favorite games ever:

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), or 2003 Pitt in the Dome

87 Title game was a great, great college basketball game. No one liked the outcome, but even in defeat, people came away from that game thinking more highly of SU and JB.

For me its al about the ncaas so i think you got the top 3 corrrect, in whatever order. I would also put the elite 8 games against unc in 87 and ku in 96 up there with your top 3. I think you also have to throw the 13 team a bone and put either the IU or Marquette dominating wins close with those other 5. For me anyway.
Two of my greatest early memories being a Cuse fan was that Pearl half court shot and then a year later? the UNC victory in 87. I was on cloud nine after the UNC victory to go to FF, same as now (and really same as when we beat ku and ou and mu to go to our other FFs). Thank you JB/Cuse!

For me its al about the ncaas so i think you got the top 3 corrrect, in whatever order. I would also put the elite 8 games against unc in 87 and ku in 96 up there with your top 3. I think you also have to throw the 13 team a bone and put either the IU or Marquette dominating wins close with those other 5. For me anyway.
Two of my greatest early memories being a Cuse fan was that Pearl half court shot and then a year later? the UNC victory in 87. I was on cloud nine after the UNC victory to go to FF, same as now (and really same as when we beat ku and ou and mu to go to our other FFs). Thank you JB/Cuse!

All the games you listed are obviously amazing, but in order for them to be Top 5 ever I feel like they have to be iconic amongst Cuse fans. The only one you listed that I personally would describe that way is the Pearl half-court shot game.

Last night's game brought back the memories of the glorious 2006 BET game vs Gtown. Trailing seemingly the whole game but somehow just found a way to win at the end.

I think the halftime score was almost exactly the same; I think it was 35-20 in 2006; 35-21 last night?

There have never been 2 better back to back games in school history than Friday-Sunday, right?

Definitely one of the greatest comebacks ever, and in a HUGE spot. I don't even think I could rank the top games because there have been so many amazing moments since I started watching in about 83. Being at the NC game in 2003 was obviously remarkably memorable, as was the Texas game two nights before.

The 1996 game against Georgia really sticks out to me too, because it required not one, but TWO last second shots to win. Wallace was amazing, and Z hit back to back 3s when we were down 9 with 2 minutes left.

No one has mentioned the Oklahoma State game in the NCAAT in 2003. We were getting blown out when Edelin and Pace took over the game, and McNeil started blocking shots on the back end of the press. Then Gerry hit a few dagger 3s to seal it.

For regular season, beating Duke in their first trip to the Dome was beyond special. Remarkable game.

1987 beating UNC to make the F4 was probably the first real 'game-changing' win for Boeheim and I still remember how elated I was to have the time reach the F4 for the first time in my fanhood.

And there are sooooo many more.

Hell, the Ryan Blackwell last second shot in the 1998 BET against St. John's is another one of my most memorable Cuse experiences.

I could keep rambling on and on...

No one has mentioned the Oklahoma State game in the NCAAT in 2003. We were getting blown out when Edelin and Pace took over the game, and McNeil started blocking shots on the back end of the press. Then Gerry hit a few dagger 3s to seal it.

That game was basically the 2013 BET champ game vs. Louisville in reverse. A blowout one way turned into a blowout the other way. Whenever some douche says we wouldn't have won in 2003 without Melo, just remind them of this game. He absolutely sucked, and without our bench stepping up HUGE Melo is just another one-and-done without a ring. Total team effort.

All the games you listed are obviously amazing, but in order for them to be Top 5 ever I feel like they have to be iconic amongst Cuse fans. The only one you listed that I personally would describe that way is the Pearl half-court shot game.

The win over UNC in the 1987 Elite Eight as DEFINITELY iconic. Until then, JB had always been labeled as a great coach who "can't win the big game". That was the game-changer of his coaching career.

The win over UNC in the 1987 Elite Eight as DEFINITELY iconic. Until then, JB had always been labeled as a great coach who "can't win the big game". That was the game-changer of his coaching career.

I thought about it more and I agree.

I think the halftime score was almost exactly the same; I think it was 35-20 in 2006; 35-21 last night?

There have never been 2 better back to back games in school history than Friday-Sunday, right?

As far as being gigantic NCAA games, I think Georgia and Kansas in 1996 was equal.

Overall, the 2006 BET run had better back to back games and did it 3 straight nights, then followed by beating Pitt the next night for the championship. Easily a more difficult stretch of games that what it has taken to get to any Final Four and all on consecutive nights. Again, the stakes weren't as high but that was better in strictly what happened.

You make a great point about Ok St game, i think we were down by 18, more than we were down to UVa, altho they obviously had more time to make the comeback. That win was obviously huge as JBs one title almost didnt happen

As far as being gigantic NCAA games, I think Georgia and Kansas in 1996 was equal.

Overall, the 2006 BET run had better back to back games and did it 3 straight nights, then followed by beating Pitt the next night for the championship. Easily a more difficult stretch of games that what it has taken to get to any Final Four and all on consecutive nights. Again, the stakes weren't as high but that was better in strictly what happened.

I wasn't a fan in 96, I could buy that though.
06 yeah, the Cincy-UConn-Gtown run was pretty good. Also really, the night after th e 6 OT game in 2009 we beat WVU in OT, which is just insane when you think about it.

You make a great point about Ok St game, i think we were down by 18, more than we were down to UVa, altho they obviously had more time to make the comeback. That win was obviously huge as JBs one title almost didnt happen

And Ok State was nowhere near the team that UVa is. To come back like that last night - we did that against possibly the most difficult team in America to come back against. Everything about how they are coached, how they play, personnel, etc makes it almost impossible to do what we did last night.

SO tough, so many to choose from.

1)Kansas 2003 Title
2)Texas semifinal 2003
3)UNC 1987 elite 8
4)UVA last night
5)Bulldogs 96 sweet 16
6)Badgers 2012 sweet 16
7)Buzz Williams 13 sweet 16
8)Florida 87 sweet 16
9)Providence 87 final 4
10)Oklahoma 20003 elite 8

2nd best for sure.

Where does the Gonzaga game fit? That was pretty good to, obviously this one get's the edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom