Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games?

For me personally, I put last night #2 among my SU favorite games ever:

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn

its up there for sure

This was a little like Georgetown in 2006: nothing pleasant about the majority of the game, they've had a nice run but it's coming to an end tonight, then suddenly we played four minutes of fantastic basketball and won. More surreal than an all-time great game, I think these types are in a special category by themselves.

SO tough, so many to choose from.

1)Kansas 2003 Title
2)Texas semifinal 2003
3)UNC 1987 elite 8
4)UVA last night
5)Bulldogs 96 sweet 16
6)Badgers 2012 sweet 16
7)Buzz Williams 13 sweet 16
8)Florida 87 sweet 16
9)Providence 87 final 4
10)Oklahoma 20003 elite 8

#6 on your list is a huge one. There was absolutely a glass ceiling on the Elite 8 for us for a hell of a lot of the history of the program (sure we had gotten there but the record was hideous and our two previous Sweet 16 games had been friggen Butler and Oklahoma) and that game was shaping up to be another insane heartbreaker with them draining 14 three pointers. If I remember right, they may have hit 6 in a row at one point late in the game. That game was like a heavyweight prize fight with two guys throwing haymaker after haymaker at each other. And for us to previal was so amazing. It is one of my favorite games ever. Still can't find that game on YouTube for whatever reason, but would love to watch it again.

I wasn't a fan in 96, I could buy that though.
06 yeah, the Cincy-UConn-Gtown run was pretty good. Also really, the night after th e 6 OT game in 2009 we beat WVU in OT, which is just insane when you think about it.

In the Extraordinarily Underrated Great Performances category:

2009 OT against West Virginia in the semis, capping 115 minutes of basketball (nearly 3 games) in 24 hours.
2012 against Wisconsin, who played almost a perfect game and still lost to us in the last minute.

1- 2003 Title Game
2- 1987 win over UNC to go to F4
3- Last night
4- 1996 win over KU to go to F4
5- 1996 win over UGA to go to Regional Final

#6 on your list is a huge one. There was absolutely a glass ceiling on the Elite 8 for us for a hell of a lot of the history of the program (sure we had gotten there but the record was hideous and our two previous Sweet 16 games had been friggen Butler and Oklahoma) and that game was shaping up to be another insane heartbreaker with them draining 14 three pointers. If I remember right, they may have hit 6 in a row at one point late in the game. That game was like a heavyweight prize fight with two guys throwing haymaker after haymaker at each other. And for us to previal was so amazing. It is one of my favorite games ever. Still can't find that game on YouTube for whatever reason, but would love to watch it again.

Yep, might be the best-played low-scoring game I've ever seen. That was a national championship type performance by both teams, crazy atmosphere in an 80-degree arena. The game had it all, but it's been overshadowed by what came next.

All the games you listed are obviously amazing, but in order for them to be Top 5 ever I feel like they have to be iconic amongst Cuse fans. The only one you listed that I personally would describe that way is the Pearl half-court shot game.

Don't know your age but the 1987 win over UNC was massive. To that point JB had experienced nothing but futility in the NCAAs with some brutal losses.

Don't know your age but the 1987 win over UNC was massive. To that point JB had experienced nothing but futility in the NCAAs with some brutal losses.

33, and I stand corrected on that one.

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn

Fun one:
  1. National title
  2. Uga win (was a student and the chaos in the house will always be a top memory of college)
  3. 6 OT (don't care about birthdays but was neat for it to turn into my birthday at midnight as the game went on. Fun angle to the story)
  4. Last night (I think I so so reconciled to the loss that the win still hasn't sunk in appropriately)
  5. GT ejection game. Cemented where I wanted to go to college.

1. National Championship
2. Last night
3. 6 OT's
4. The entire 2006 BET
5a. Georgetown 1985
5b. Georgetown 1989

I agree with this list. The Gone-zaga game was pretty epic too and could be in the top 10 list.

33, and I stand corrected on that one.

Understandable. You were almost a diaper dandy back then.

The parallel with 1987 and many other huge SU wins like last night was that it came when not many expected it.

It would be hard to overstate the criticism JB was taking from a national standpoint prior to the 1987 F4. "Can't coach but is a good recruiter, just rolls out the balls" etc.

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn

Great topic! I love this thread!

1. National Championship
2. Last night
3. 6 OT's
4. The entire 2006 BET
5a. Georgetown 1985
5b. Georgetown 1989

I just remembered one. What about the Boston College Pearl half court shot game? Even Ennis shot to beat Pitt was pretty epic. I guess maybe those would be top 10 since they tournament meaningful. The Georgetown ones were pretty epic though and defined the character of the BE.

Didn't Steve Thompson have a last second shot during the BE quarterfinal to win the game? My memory is getting fuzzy with each beer I drink.

Definitely one of the greatest comebacks ever, and in a HUGE spot. I don't even think I could rank the top games because there have been so many amazing moments since I started watching in about 83. Being at the NC game in 2003 was obviously remarkably memorable, as was the Texas game two nights before.

The 1996 game against Georgia really sticks out to me too, because it required not one, but TWO last second shots to win. Wallace was amazing, and Z hit back to back 3s when we were down 9 with 2 minutes left.

No one has mentioned the Oklahoma State game in the NCAAT in 2003. We were getting blown out when Edelin and Pace took over the game, and McNeil started blocking shots on the back end of the press. Then Gerry hit a few dagger 3s to seal it.

For regular season, beating Duke in their first trip to the Dome was beyond special. Remarkable game.

1987 beating UNC to make the F4 was probably the first real 'game-changing' win for Boeheim and I still remember how elated I was to have the time reach the F4 for the first time in my fanhood.

And there are sooooo many more.

Hell, the Ryan Blackwell last second shot in the 1998 BET against St. John's is another one of my most memorable Cuse experiences.

I could keep rambling on and on...
Re: last-second BET shots--

1992 vs. GTown, and the Dave Johnson 10-footer over Mourning. Boeheim said afterwards that game (culminating the tournament run)
was the most satisfying. Of course, lots of good stuff has happened since.

'03 title
6OT
Last Night

I was 4 in '96. and don't really recall any other single games being HUUUUUUGE.

I just remembered one. What about the Boston College Pearl half court shot game? Even Ennis shot to beat Pitt was pretty epic. I guess maybe those would be top 10 since they tournament meaningful. The Georgetown ones were pretty epic though and defined the character of the BE.
That (Pearl against BC) helped get (and move up) SU on the national scene. Had to be one of the 3 loudest moments in Dome history? The General had one or two of those moments also...

Not only is the Pearl a Living Legend. Look at the recruits JB got immediately after Pearl: Seikaly, DC, Stevie, Sherm, Billy, Leron, DJ etc etc . I really need to get one of those Pearl tshirts...

When you look at promimity between FFs and Elite 8s for JB. There were two time periods that standout: '87/89 and NOW. I know it was a tough year but we really are fortunate right now as Cuse fans...obviously 2010-2016 has been special. Just hope JB gets one more ring...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom