Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where does last night fit in amongst all-time Syracuse games?

Ennis buzzer beater against Pitt didn't really mean much in the larger scheme of things (though we were undefeated and #1 at the time) but should get special consideration for the shots of Dixon's reaction.

'03 title
6OT
Last Night

I was 4 in '96. and don't really recall any other single games being HUUUUUUGE.

You had other HUGE problems at the time. Just kidding!

I'm doing this based on my experience as a Cuse fan. Obviously, others have been fans longer and had great experiences that pre-date mine.

1) 2003 National Championship game
2) Last night
3) 1996 vs. Georgia
4) 6OT game
5) 1996 vs. Kansas - this was my freshman year at Syracuse. I know it wasn't as exciting as the Georgia game, but it got us into the final four. And we managed to beat a team rich in NBA talent.

Can someone tell me the last time we beat an ACC team in the tournament?

I'm doing this based on my experience as a Cuse fan. Obviously, others have been fans longer and had great experiences that pre-date mine.

2) Last night
3) 1996 vs. Georgia
4) 6OT game
5) 1996 vs. Kansas - this was my freshman year at Syracuse. I know it wasn't as exciting as the Georgia game, but it got us into the final four. And we managed to beat a team rich in NBA talent.

Hell, it may have been UVa in 1990.

2) Last night
3) 1996 vs. Georgia
4) 6OT game

Maryland 2004

1. NC 2003 vs Kansas
2. Last night Elite 8 2016 vs UVA
3. Elite 8 1987 vs UNC
4. Sweet 16 1996 vs Georgia
5. Elite 8 2003 vs Oklahoma
6.Elite 8 1996 vs Kansas
7. 6 OT BET vs UConn
8. Elite 8 2013 vs Marquette
9. 2006 BET vs UConn
10. 1989 vs Georgetown
11. BET Championship 1992 vs Georgetown
12. Elite 8 1975 vs UNC (Lee's shot beats UNC)

So many great wins I'm sure I missed some.

My friends and I had a similar discussion last night about where this ranks in terms of games since we attended Syracuse (we arrived at the same time as CJ/Dion/Fab). Considering context of the game, I think this was our #1 with the win over Indiana in 2013 as the #2. I think #3 would have been the first game against Duke when it went into OT.

I think the halftime score was almost exactly the same; I think it was 35-20 in 2006; 35-21 last night?

There have never been 2 better back to back games in school history than Friday-Sunday, right?
I think 1996 UGA then KU are up there as well. Big, late comebacks in both of those games too. The 2003 FF games were pretty epic back to back games.

No mention of rhe Duke game 2 years ago
Well played. I guess I give less credence to regular season games, but at the end of the day, the outcome of the 6 OT game didn't carry too much significance. Maybe a separate category for non-tournament games?

For me personally, I put last night #2 among my SU favorite games ever:

1. 2003 Title game
2. Last night
3. 1996 Georgia Sweet 16
4. 6 OT vs UConn
5. Either 1990 Georgetown (JT ejected), 2003 Pitt in the Dome, or 2006 BET vs. UConn
For non conference regular season wins, beating Phi Slamma Jamma in '83 has to be top 5.

My friends and I had a similar discussion last night about where this ranks in terms of games since we attended Syracuse (we arrived at the same time as CJ/Dion/Fab). Considering context of the game, I think this was our #1 with the win over Indiana in 2013 as the #2. I think #3 would have been the first game against Duke when it went into OT.

Is that the game in the Dome where the girl took off all her cloths so she could have a bigger embarrassment than the game.

1. NC 2003 vs Kansas
2. Last night Elite 8 2016 vs UVA
3. Elite 8 1987 vs UNC
4. Sweet 16 1996 vs Georgia
5. Elite 8 2003 vs Oklahoma
6.Elite 8 1996 vs Kansas
7. 6 OT BET vs UConn
8. Elite 8 2013 vs Marquette
9. 2006 BET vs UConn
10. 1989 vs Georgetown
11. BET Championship 1992 vs Georgetown
12. Elite 8 1975 vs UNC (Lee's shot beats UNC)

So many great wins I'm sure I missed some.

I know a lot people do not like Buzz Williams but I thought his post game interview after the 2013 game was very classy. He said very nice things about our team.

me too Dave. I can still see Santifer tossing the ball to the rafters as time ran out. Pandemonium in the Dome that day.

That was my junior year. I went to every home game. I've bled Orange ever since!

The win over UNC in the 1987 Elite Eight as DEFINITELY iconic. Until then, JB had always been labeled as a great coach who "can't win the big game". That was the game-changer of his coaching career.
Wins over UNC have been mileposts in SU basketball history. The win over Dean Smith in the 1975 East Region was in the Danforth era, but put us on a national stage. That win is high on my list and is the event that made me a lifelong fan. For the 2016 FF, I like us in the role of Cinderella' s evil twin against America's sweetheart. As I felt in 1975...just wow!! Another opportunity for a statement game against UNC. This one's for JB...

Last edited:
Wins over UNC have been mileposts in SU basketball history. The win over Dean Smith in the 1975 East Regional Final was in the Danforth era, but put us on a national stage. That win is high on my list and is the event that made me a lifelong fan. For the 2016 FF, I like us in the role of Cinderella' s evil twin against America's sweetheart. As I felt in 1975...just wow!! Another opportunity for a statement game against UNC. This one's for JB...
I was in high school in 1975 and remember that game vividly. It seemed impossible that they could knock off UNC. Who could have imagined all that was in store for the program in the next 41 years?

I was in high school in 1975 and remember that game vividly. It seemed impossible that they could knock off UNC. Who could have imagined all that was in store for the program in the next 41 years?
It was my second semester at SU and I watched continuous replays of the UNC game. SU' s run in 1975 felt so much like this year to me. We were Cinderella in 1975 and Cruella in 2016 but what a thrill for all of us...just wow...

I'd have to put a LOT of thought into this to come up with a list that made me happy, and even then it might be impossible, so instead of doing that I'm going to just vomit out whatever is stored in my mind right this minute.

I think its hard to compare some of these games. Regular season games have been emotionally just as satisfying as tournament wins to me, but in the tournament you get the added bonus of being excited for another upcoming round. Also, my favorite tournament historically has always been the Big East tournament and not the NCAA tournament. You got better games in the Big East tourney. For this reason I like the idea of splitting the games into four lists. Also, I have a hard time ranking the championship game as my favorite game ever. It was the most significant, certainly. But I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others. First because I was worried they would lose. They had a big lead which slowly dwindled throughout the game, as a fan those are the hardest to watch. And second, because even though I was very happy they won, I was also a little sad that the season, and the great ride we had, was over and there was no more basketball to watch.

My list comprises the 86-87 season to now, because that was the year I really started watching SU.

Full disclosure, I know there are big games I'm forgetting ALL over this list. Feel free to add some I'm forgetting.

Georgetown games (always the best regular season games)
1) 1990 JT ejection. Not sure I've ever been happier in one moment of watching basketball than that.
2) 1996 blow out of the Iverson GTown team, which was revenge for them blowing us out earlier . . . love that 96 team.
3) 1989, I hope I'm not confusing this, but I think SU had a big comeback against Gtown this year, maybe the most fun SU team ever.
4) Was it 2007, when SU was on the bubble and Gtown was in the top 5 and we beat them?
5) Donovan McNabb Game
6) GMac buzzer beater

Thinking it through, a lot of the really great games were ones that Gtown won . . . damn them.

Other great regular season games
1) Sherm Douglas through the legs full court pass in SU's revenge destruction of Indiana . . . I hated Indiana and Knight and wanted that one bad.
2) SU beating Pitt in 2003
3) SU's very surprising (to me) win against #1 UConn in, I think, 2004.
4) SU's rout of top 5 Nova in 2010 to take #1 in the polls.
5) Beating #1 Louisville at Louisville in 2013

This was the hardest one for me as there have been thousands of great games. Those 5 came to mind. I'm absolutely sure I am missing a lot of great old games.

Big East Tourney Games
1) The GMac run. Can't pick just one game. Not sure anything tops that for me.
2) 6 overtime classic against UConn
3) SU finally beating Gtown for the title 1992
4) SU's Big East curtain call where we beat Georgetown one final time. They were the top 5 and just beat us, 2013.
5) Ryan Blackwell buzzer beater to beat St. Johns 1998

Think about all those great moments . . . nothing will ever beat the Big East tournament in NYC.

NCAA Tourney Games
1) UNC 1987. In my mind this is a program turning point. I remember people losing their minds with happiness.
2) Georgia 1996 . . . love that 96 team.
3) Virginia last night . . . wow.
4) Kansas 1996 . . . man I loved that 96 team.
5) OSU huge comeback with the press, GMac started hitting 3's once he got bloody in 2003. In my mind I liked this slightly more than dominating 1 seeds Oklahoma and Texas that year and Indiana in 2013.

2003 Championship has to be in a class by itself. It was a few minutes of joy when GMac hit the threes and then an hour and a half of agony waiting for the buzzer to sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom