Where is Upstate New York? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Upstate New York?

Central NY still exists. So does Western NY and the southern tier. Everything after Amsterdam just feels like the Midwest.

Take pop for example. That's a Midwest thing. Apparently it's common in Rochester. You would never hear that in Albany or anywhere East. Or anywhere near NYC.

So the Midwest should start in Roch as they say pop, Central NY says soda.

So the Midwest should start in Roch as they say pop, Central NY says soda.
Yes, the pop line appears to correlate to the Zweigle/Hoffman line. It is somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse. I think it runs just west of Lyons, which is JB country, and therefore, Syracuse country. JB would never say 'pop' when referring to soda.

upstate NY pop line.jpg

softdrinksmap.png

Central NY still exists. So does Western NY and the southern tier. Everything after Amsterdam just feels like the Midwest.

Take pop for example. That's a Midwest thing. Apparently it's common in Rochester. You would never hear that in Albany or anywhere East. Or anywhere near NYC.
ok. I thought you meant "Midwest NY"/Amsterdam is nearly Western NY.

Last edited:
Maybe city folk look at it differently than upstaters. I've always thought that upstate was anything north of Westchester and Rockland counties.
View attachment 127362

My opinion as well. Having lived down there for 20 years, and being a Syracuse native, I think I have standing to offer my two cents. Upstate starts when you get north of Westchester and Rockland counties. On the other side of those borders, you are either in the Catskills or the Hudson Valley. Neither of those is "Downstate".

Yes, the pop line appears to correlate to the Zweigle/Hoffman line. It is somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse. I think it runs just west of Lyons, which is JB country, and therefore, Syracuse country. JB would never say 'pop' when referring to soda.

View attachment 127366

softdrinksmap.png
I'm from just west of Lyons so I'd say your line is pretty much dead on.

My opinion as well. Having lived down there for 20 years, and being a Syracuse native, I think I have standing to offer my two cents. Upstate starts when you get north of Westchester and Rockland counties. On the other side of those borders, you are either in the Catskills or the Hudson Valley. Neither of those is "Downstate".
I always considered it the Catskills as the dividing line...north of it is definitely upstate, south of it is definitely downstate IMHO

The Catskills in my mind is a transition zone...

Yep. I've lived between Rensselaer and Rhinebeck on the east side of the Hudson River for the past 38 years. People in my area say they live in the Hudson Valley.

Yep. I've lived between Rensselaer and Rhinebeck on the east side of the Hudson River for the past 38 years. People in my area say they live in the Hudson Valley.
So if you are out of state (like Florida)...would you say you live in the Hudson Valley or Upstate NY?

Yeah, that's reasonable. If I'm going to Dutchess County for the weekend from my home in Syracuse, I'm going Downstate. If I'm going to Dutchess County from my relatives in Brooklyn, I'm going Upstate.
But that's direction, not location. lol. I could "head North" from Rochester and not even reach the Lake. Anyway, to me "upstate" is anything north of westchester county.

So if you are out of state (like Florida)...would you say you live in the Hudson Valley or Upstate NY?

When we travel we generally say we live in the Hudson Valley. We'll employ the "Upstate" moniker only if we encounter the real thick-headed ones who can't get it into their head that the IRT doesn't run the full length of the Hudson River.

IRT is that the NYC subway?

BTW, I always say Upstate NY...then I might explain more correctly CNY. It is amazing the number of people in flyover country who have no idea what Central NY means...many think it is literally the center of NYC.

IRT is that the NYC subway?

BTW, I always say Upstate NY...then I might explain more correctly CNY. It is amazing the number of people in flyover country who have no idea what Central NY means...many think it is literally the center of NYC.

LOL. That’s why I’d just say Syracuse, or Upstate NY.

I'd say that hand drawn map is about right. I know people who commute to NYC from the Poughkeepsie Metro-North train station. I can't square regularly commuting to NYC from "upstate", so the line is probably right around there.

My observations are most people in NYC area or LI don't venture much past Orange County, if that far, and consider the entire area from the Bronx to there as Upstate. Everything after that is, "Oh, way upstate" or "Oh that's way, way, upstate".

I've had people thinking Central NY was in Manhattan (like around midtown)

Its simple, north of the tappanzee bridge is upstate. Thats the catskills, Adirondacks, West to Amsterdam ( the gateway to the Adirondacks) to utica and tomato pie to cuse hoops and the home of ED;) to the sloppy plates of Rochester and the great sports and food town of buffalo. The downstate folks need an education. I spend alot of time in lake George in the summer and downstaters loooove the area. NY's charm is north of the Tappanzee.

Yeah, that's reasonable. If I'm going to Dutchess County for the weekend from my home in Syracuse, I'm going Downstate. If I'm going to Dutchess County from my relatives in Brooklyn, I'm going Upstate.

But in general I agree with the Ithaca mayor or the Post's commuting rule.

And then there's these goofballs who argue that they're not in Upstate, they're in Central New York (or Western New York, which I've heard from some Rochester people). S---, you idiot, that's like saying "I'm not in North America, I'm in the United States."

Wow, just had this same argument on a Step Out Buffalo Facebook post this week. These people in Buffalo take it as a personal insult if you say they are in Upstate New York. You can be both in Upstate New York and Western New York at the same time you dolts.

Wow, just had this same argument on a Step Out Buffalo Facebook post this week. These people in Buffalo take it as a personal insult if you say they are in Upstate New York. You can be both in Upstate New York and Western New York at the same time you dolts.

What the hand drawn map calls "Upstate NY", I call it the "Capital District" or the "Albany Area". Upstate NY includes everything north of about Orange County...everything including WNY

Personally, I consider upstate as anything beyond Albany. I like taking trains, so that’s a major hub going north.

Buffalo is for weirdos and crummy ex gfs. :confused: