Where is Upstate New York? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Upstate New York?

This reminds me of when this northwestern PA kid went to SU as a frosh, I met this very nice kid from NYC. I asked him where he was from and he responded "The City". Of course, this rube asked "Which city?" :rolling:
That was my standard reply to anyone who said they were from "the city." I figured they were the rubes, because Rochester was "the city."

Jersey to me...
North jersey=north of the raritan.
Central jersey=south of the raritan to Toms River.
South jersey=everything below Toms River.

Where I grew up in NJ we referred to the area between the Raritan and Tom's River as the DMZ.

Where I grew up in NJ we referred to the area between the Raritan and Tom's River as the DMZ.
I grew up in Bergen County and as far as we were concerned, Bergen, Passaic and Hudson counties were "North Jersey". Everything else was "South Jersey" (yes, even areas northwest of me). "South Jersey" was considered a curse or insult (think of the movie, "Out of the Furnace"). I am now just north of the Raritan, in Union County and while I can't quite bring myself to call it North Jersey, I have embraced the DMZ idea of "Central Jersey" and expanded it to keep me out of what I grew up calling "South Jersey".

That North/South/Central Jersey debate is about as heated as the Taylor Ham/Pork Roll debate down here. Since I'm not a native to NJ, I have no issue calling where I live Central Jersey. Oh, and I've never had Taylor Ham/Pork Roll before. I have seen Springsteen twice though.

That North/South/Central Jersey debate is about as heated as the Taylor Ham/Pork Roll debate down here. Since I'm not a native to NJ, I have no issue calling where I live Central Jersey. Oh, and I've never had Taylor Ham/Pork Roll before. I have seen Springsteen twice though.
Missed opportunities. Get on that Taylor Ham (I’m from the North remember).

I'm with you. I live in Central NJ. My rationale is, if I get BOTH NY and Philly affiliates on my cable system, I am central NJ.

I've also never eaten Taylor Ham (I refuse to use the other name) before.