Where is Upstate New York? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Upstate New York?

What the hand drawn map calls "Upstate NY", I call it the "Capital District" or the "Albany Area". Upstate NY includes everything north of about Orange County...everything including WNY

Yeah exactly. Whoever thought that Upstate New York was specific to the Albany area is a complete moron.

IRT is that the NYC subway?

BTW, I always say Upstate NY...then I might explain more correctly CNY. It is amazing the number of people in flyover country who have no idea what Central NY means...many think it is literally the center of NYC.

There used to be 2 competing subway lines in NYC, Mark - the IRT (Interboro Rapid Transit) and the BMT (Brooklyn - Manhattan Transit). That's why there is one set of subways identified by numbers, and a different set identified by letters.

Yes, the pop line appears to correlate to the Zweigle/Hoffman line. It is somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse. I think it runs just west of Lyons, which is JB country, and therefore, Syracuse country. JB would never say 'pop' when referring to soda.

View attachment 127366

softdrinksmap.png
Newsflash... If you call it soda, google agrees.. So does the dictionary.. Because that's it's definition. Pop comes up with nothing... Mountain dew is not coke... If part of my state wanted to call it bubbly bubbly fizz fizz? I'd want to draw lines, too.

People living West of Montezuma Wildlife Refuge are not to be trusted offering us beef of weck, Zweigles and pop.
In Buffalo, the hot dog of choice is Sahlen’s which are better than Zweigles but below Hofmann.

There used to be 2 competing subway lines in NYC, Mark - the IRT (Interboro Rapid Transit) and the BMT (Brooklyn - Manhattan Transit). That's why there is one set of subways identified by numbers, and a different set identified by letters.
Three. You forgot about the IND.

In Buffalo, the hot dog of choice is Sahlen’s which are better than Zweigles but below Hofmann.
I agree...we get Sahlen's at Publix in Florida (along with Hoffman's). When they have a BOGO on Sahlen's I have purchased some and they are excellent. Much better than Nathan's and Sabrett's. They are comparable to Hoffman German Franks.

Zweigle's are okay...but the White ones are too bland, IMHO.

Its simple, north of the tappanzee bridge is upstate. Thats the catskills, Adirondacks, West to Amsterdam ( the gateway to the Adirondacks) to utica and tomato pie to cuse hoops and the home of ED;) to the sloppy plates of Rochester and the great sports and food town of buffalo. The downstate folks need an education. I spend alot of time in lake George in the summer and downstaters loooove the area. NY's charm is north of the Tappanzee.
There is no Tappanzee

Being from Corning, I always laughed at the term Upstate. I know it refers to NYC but I could be in PA in 20 minutes from my house.

Being from Corning, I always laughed at the term Upstate. I know it refers to NYC but I could be in PA in 20 minutes from my house.

This. Upstate is a NYC/LI term that essentially refers to everything north of Yonkers/Mount Vernon/White Plains.

As a kid, i always considered "Downstate" to begin at Poughkeepsie. That is where the State seemed to get more NYC-centric. Now, I would personally define Upstate generally as everything that is not Westchester and Rockland Counties, NYC and Long Island. Upstate is an amalgamation of many regions including - Hudson Valley, Catskills, Capital District, Northern, Central, and Western. These regions can be further broken down (e.g., Lake Champlain Region, Lake George Region, Adirondacks, Thousand Islands, Finger Lakes, Mohawk Valley, etc.)

We have a similar battle in NJ about where the line is for north/south jersey. We also debate the existence of a central jersey. Either way, no matter what direction you are coming from, you are going “down the shore”

Its simple, north of the tappanzee bridge is upstate. Thats the catskills, Adirondacks, West to Amsterdam ( the gateway to the Adirondacks) to utica and tomato pie to cuse hoops and the home of ED;) to the sloppy plates of Rochester and the great sports and food town of buffalo. The downstate folks need an education. I spend alot of time in lake George in the summer and downstaters loooove the area. NY's charm is north of the Tappanzee.

Uh, NO.

I’ve lived in N Tarrytown (now much more pleasantly renamed Sleepy Hollow), Ossining, Garrison, and now New Paltz.

NONE of these first 3 is “upstate” to anybody other than Lawn Guylanders - although I’d certainly stipulate to folks calling NP upstate, since it’s gotta start somewhere, and that’s a good 90 mins north of NYC.

Route 84 seems like a reasonable dividing line.

I always say “Hudson Valley” to refer to this entire area, particularly from say Peekskill to Kingston.

Yes. Zweigle's is trash IMO. Sahlen's is very good, but not as good as Hoffman's. Also, Sahlen's doesn't do a coney/white hot, so another demerit for them.

We have a similar battle in NJ about where the line is for north/south jersey. We also debate the existence of a central jersey. Either way, no matter what direction you are coming from, you are going “down the shore”

Jersey to me...
North jersey=north of the raritan.
Central jersey=south of the raritan to Toms River.
South jersey=everything below Toms River.

I agree...we get Sahlen's at Publix in Florida (along with Hoffman's). When they have a BOGO on Sahlen's I have purchased some and they are excellent. Much better than Nathan's and Sabrett's. They are comparable to Hoffman German Franks.

Zweigle's are okay...but the White ones are too bland, IMHO.

The reverence Floridians have for Publix is so triggering.

My two cents. I was born and raised in Syracuse, 72 years ago this June. I went to College at SUNY Brockport and did my graduate work at SU. In HS we played football, as our last game, against White Plains, in White Plains, which was considered the border line between upstate and downstate. Everyone I went to college with from downstate agreed with this also.

Now common sense dictates where you live, and not where you work, is the separation from one region to another. Therefore, if you live on one side and work on the other side, where you live determines if you are an upstate or downstate resident. (yes, I went to college with people from White Plains too.)New York City and Long Island has traditionally been what is referred to as downstate. Today, if you consider commuters, then you would have to include New Jersey, Connecticut and Miami, among others and that is just crazy!