Where were you? | Syracusefan.com

Where were you?

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
5 years ago tonight I was in the Hilton O'Hare preparing for a early morning flight home after a week working with my friends at Sara Lee. I was passing the time watching a nice little basketball game between Syracuse and UConn go through an epic 6 overtimes. Got a call from the front desk and a visit from hotel security at my door because neighboring guests thought something "extremely violent" was going on in my room based on the yelling and banging.

Ahhh... Miss u Big East!

Almost missed my flight the next morning but I did get home in time to swap out luggage and drive to MSG for the WVU and Louisville games

5 years ago tonight I was in the Hilton O'Hare preparing for a early morning flight home after a week working with my friends at Sara Lee. I was passing the time watching a nice little basketball game between Syracuse and UConn go through an epic 6 overtimes. Got a call from the front desk and a visit from hotel security at my door because neighboring guests thought something "extremely violent" was going on in my room based on the yelling and banging.

Ahhh... Miss u Big East!

Almost missed my flight the next morning but I did get home in time to swap out luggage and drive to MSG for the WVU and Louisville games

My wife still hasn't forgiven me for yelling so late into the night.

At my old home in N. Syracuse watching the game. Woke my wife up (screaming) when Devo hit the 3 at the end of the game which was called off.

She didn't mind as she stayed up to watch the 6 overtimes with me.

Much Labatt Blue was consumed.

Home on Spring Break my Junior year. Sitting 2 inches from the TV in the livingroom. Woke my parents and little brother up after I screamed that Jeff Adrien missed his put back shot. Instead of getting angry, they like zombies, found their way into the living room and watched the rest of it with me.

Ahhh... Miss u Big East!

I was at a bar about six blocks from MSG, in New York for a work conference. I got out early, could have gone to the game, and decided I'd save my money and voice for the next game. That, it should be said, was a mistake.

At home. My son had fallen asleep about half time and I woke him up at the end of regulation. At the end of the 2nd OT he went and woke up his younger brother (then 9). Wife came down after the 4th OT to not too kindly remind me the kids had school the next day. "But Mom, Syracuse is going into the 5th over time in the Big East Tournament." After a brief glare she says "You guys are crazy." and she went back to bed (hey she's a Bearcat and just doesn't understand). They still wear their Marathon men t-shirts on a regular basis that my Mom sent us.

AT home watching. At the time the extra bedroom upstairs was used as a library/office and sports viewing room for me. I remember holding in screams all night as the kids were sleeping across the hall. I also remember some really late night posting and reading as well as a phone call or two. I did finally get to sleep for about 2 hours and then went to work where most who know how big a fan I am were surprised to see me.

With three of my friends in Orlando, Fl staying at one of my buddy's aunt and uncle's place for spring break of my freshman year.

Watched the game in the living room while drinking beers. Flight was only a few hours after the game ended. Great time. Very hard to stay quiet so you don't wake up aunt and uncle who would catch us underage drinking.

I was working out of town (our firm as out of Syracuse). I was with a coworker working on a client in Stamford, CT and we texted one of the all time walkon greats Jake Presutti in a last minute effort to get tickets. He only texted us back around 7:45 that he had tickets but we were already holed up in a Shelton, CT bar so we didn't make the trek. We wore all orange in a bar decked out with supposed UConn fans. Long story short but the UConn fans all left after the first OT. We steamrolled them by asking them if it was past their bed times or if they had to wake up early to watch the women's game. That was the only PG things we said to them.

The bar closed at Midnight and we refused to leave. Reluctuantly the general manager let us stay and we watched the rest of the game with the entire kitchen and bar staff glued to the game. Lets just say there were shots on the house during those Overtimes. The next day we went to the client an hour late and he laughed and said he didn't expect to see us at all. Ohhh the memories and debotchery of that great night.

Watched the first 40 minutes at home before going to work. By the time I finished loading my bread truck and hit the road, the 3rd OT was just satrting. Made it to my first destination, parking in alley behind a supermarket in the ghetto of Utica just before the final OT started. Within a minute or two of parking, a group of young gentlemen came strolling down the alley and could hear the game blaring from the radio in my truck. They were in shock that the game was still going and asked if I cared that if they stayed and listened to the ending. Also said not to worry, they were not going to harm me(which i was kind of worried about). We then sat there for close to two hours listening to the ending and post game shows. Never did make it to all my stops that day.

At my brother's house. I tackled him onto the couch after Devo hit the three. After the 5th overtime, he went into the bathroom during the TV timeout. He was still in bathroom when Andy, I think, hit the 3 to start the 6th. It was the first lead we had in any overtime. I made my brother stay in the bathroom until the lead was safe with about a minute to go.

I was at home watching. My wife went to bed early that night. She was awoken to a work emergency. There was a bird strike (she does PR for an airline) and she had to handle the crisis.

She came out and I was runing shirtless around the family room in circles after Devo hit the "game winner"

I was drunk

She was not happy... nor was she for the next 2 hours while I kept drinking and the game kept going while she worked.

She was even more not happy when I went to bed and she worked through the night until she went into the office at 6am.

Some had great memories of that game, others did not.

At a friends house with 5 or 6 others. We were all losing our minds as the game wore on late into the night/early morning. I remember it was the one time I literally could not call in sick to work the next day because I was scheduled for a class the entire day and my dept would have been out the signup fee for the class. So I sat through the class that next day. Safe to say I don't remember anything they taught us as I was half asleep from being up so late.

Home in the Philadelphia suburbs watching with my then 13 year old son. Neither of us will ever forget it. Similar to cuseincincy, my wife was annoyed with the noise and how late he was up on a school night. I finally said, "I know you don't understand, but we're watching history here. He's not going to bed until it's over and there will probably be a few more outbursts. We'll try to keep it down."

The "little cheerleader" in my avatar had just turned one...

I was home, in the living room, enjoying a recently purchased flat screen and upgraded-to-HD DirecTV DVR. My wife "retired" to the bedroom early in the game, saying it was "too much to handle". I knew however that she was actually watching in there because I could hear the cheering...

Soon I began to realize that the HD receiver I was watching had a significant time delay (like a second or so) compared to the regular-def in the bedroom and I could predict the outcome of a play by the tone of the yelling from the bedroom. During a break I went and retrieved my wife and "made" her watch the rest of it with me.

My heart is racing now just thinking about that game.