Where were you? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where were you?

sabach said:
At my brother's house. I tackled him onto the couch after Devo hit the three. After the 5th overtime, he went into the bathroom during the TV timeout. He was still in bathroom when Andy, I think, hit the 3 to start the 6th. It was the first lead we had in any overtime. I made my brother stay in the bathroom until the lead was safe with about a minute to go.

I've missed some great moments in the bathroom, including Andy's 3 to open the 6th OT. Heard the crowd cheer and everyone in the bathroom was like "what the f*** happened?"

Also missed Brisly's punt return at the end of the Texas Bowl because I angrily went to the bathroom cursing that the game was over.

longtimefan said:
Sect. 115, Row B, MSG. Don't think I could have handled it on the tube.

On a side note, I am suffering from BET withdrawal pains this week.

The last few years with the afternoon games I've always had to finagle a way to get out of work and get to MSG without having to take a day off. Last year was really hard with 2 days to worry about.

Four days in a row last year. Friends telling me the part of Manhattan where they work are filled with Syracuse fans. Seeing Orange everywhere. And the fun of a week long bender. Interestingly, if we were playing in day games this year there is no way I would be able to make them.

The Big East Tournament was special.

what's funny was a year later they showed the replay on T.V. near philly and a bunch of Rebels on the job the next day talked about what a great game that was,and they were convinced they watched it live and not a replay.

Saying why would a sports channel show a replay from a year ago.:):noidea:

Last edited:
5 years ago tonight I was in the Hilton O'Hare preparing for a early morning flight home after a week working with my friends at Sara Lee. I was passing the time watching a nice little basketball game between Syracuse and UConn go through an epic 6 overtimes. Got a call from the front desk and a visit from hotel security at my door because neighboring guests thought something "extremely violent" was going on in my room based on the yelling and banging.

Ahhh... Miss u Big East!

Almost missed my flight the next morning but I did get home in time to swap out luggage and drive to MSG for the WVU and Louisville games
Watched by myself at home without any fanfare...but it was cool that the game stretching past midnight made it end on my birthday.

My wife and I were actually in Hawaii, which worked out well from a time of day standpoint for that game. We were at the beachside bar at our hotel and a group of us paid the bartender to keep the bar open for us. Those other guys that all pitched in as well??? They were 5 SU fans that we met and they were all decked out in Orange, as were we. It was a memorable night for sure and outside of being at the Garden for the game I can't think of a more perfect place to watch the game. Orange nation truly is everywhere!

I was in Denver Colorado, going through some really tough times. My car had been totalled(but was still drivable), and then got towed to impound a couple of days later because someone reported it as abandoned on the street. First time I ever heard a Police Officer profusely apologize(took off my impound charges, I had CTO mojo that day!!)

My friend helped me get the car out of impound and drive it to a mechanic/body guy to have a look at it the next day. Now I didn't have cable or maybe even a tv then, and I can't remember if I got streamed games that often, but long story short, I treated my friend to dinner and drinks for driving me up to my car and I had no idea the game was on. It was like God or karma or something rewarded us as it was just starting not long after we got there(Club 404). My memory isnt the best, but I dont remember if anyone else other than us was into the game, as it wasnt a sports bar and there weren't a lot of patrons anyhow. Even though it was 2 hours earlier here, my friend who I converted into a semi-fan, left after maybe the 2nd OT. But I stayed there alone, cheering on my team while others were probably wondering that was so interesting(it wasnt a large TV).

What a feeling, and due to my circumstances at the time, I would have never seen the game if my car wasnt totaled and impounded, and if I hadn't decided to treat my friend to dinner and drinks for helping me get the car started and to a body shop.

PS I teed this entire thread. Your memories are special, as is this thread. Actually, today is my friend Matthew's birthday, and I want to give him a shout out for watching most of that game with me and helping with the car-ma. Thank you for this thread!!!

At Sadle Ranch(now closed) in old town Scottsdale with friends. They changed the inside tv's to the Suns/Cavs game and I went ballistic! They at least put the outside patio ones on. By the 3rd overtime most of the people came outside to watch it over the Suns game. Had a Cuse shirt on so most were rooting with me. Fun times.

Last edited:
Gannon97 said:
My wife and I were actually in Hawaii, which worked out well from a time of day standpoint for that game. We were at the beachside bar at our hotel and a group of us paid the bartender to keep the bar open for us. Those other guys that all pitched in as well???

Sounds familiar. Watched the 2009 tourney from the beach bar at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Not MSG but not a bad venue.

In my garage finishing off an 18 pack of Coors Light and devising a story (to tell my boss) about why I wasn't going to be able to make it to work the next day. I remember actually getting up the next morning at 6am like I was going to work to only jump back in bed as my wife pulled out of the driveway to go to work. I woke back up around 1pm and had some greasy lunch along with a couple Bloody Mary's. That was a very special, memorable night and next day.

AT MSG with nycfan, who was dividing time between our seats and where his Dad was. When Devo hit the apparent game winner, Freddy came running back to our seats and took out a row attempting to leap over it.

LOL, I do tend to get excited now and then... But seriously Ed, thanks again for the ticket hookup that night---it was one for the ages. In fact, to take that one step further, it was definitely one of the top 2 or 3 games that I have ever attended. I was at the '03 Final Four as well, so obviously have to put the Kanas game #1 (my lifelong dream finally coming to fruition). The great debate is whether to put the Texas Semi-Final game 2nd or the UCONN game 2nd (the main reason Texas is in the conversation is that they were a 1-seed, and on top of that, Carmelo had possibly the best all-around game of his SU career). But silly to debate two phenomenal games--let's call it a tie!

On a related side note, it's a bit sad not attending the Big East Tourney this year. Had been to all 31 held at MSG (even used to take Wed/Thurs off from work and go regardless of whether SU was playing), so definitely having some withdrawal! But looking at the bright side---I now I have 2 extra vacation days in case I need to plan a trip to Dallas :)

Spring break. My buddies and I shotgunned a beer at the start and at halftime. When it went to OT, we said screw it, we'll shotgun one for overtime as well. And then it kept going into additional overtimes...and we kept shotgunning additional beers. Fun night.

Spring break. My buddies and I shotgunned a beer at the start and at halftime. When it went to OT, we said screw it, we'll shotgun one for overtime as well. And then it kept going into additional overtimes...and we kept shotgunning additional beers. Fun night.
Remind me... which ACC team do you root for?

Law school - sadly, with a bunch of Illini and other assorted fans of other schools who weren't being appreciative enough of the history that was unfolding...I only had two eject two people from the living room as the night went along though (i'm kind of well known in my circle of friends for ejecting ppl when i decide they're a jynx - mostly just with Syracuse bball, and Yankees postseason games). Finished with a bunch of us rooting for the Cuse though - so it was fun. Really couldn't believe what was happening...still don't. Such a phenomenal game.

Watched the first 40 minutes at home before going to work. By the time I finished loading my bread truck and hit the road, the 3rd OT was just satrting. Made it to my first destination, parking in alley behind a supermarket in the ghetto of Utica just before the final OT started. Within a minute or two of parking, a group of young gentlemen came strolling down the alley and could hear the game blaring from the radio in my truck. They were in shock that the game was still going and asked if I cared that if they stayed and listened to the ending. Also said not to worry, they were not going to harm me(which i was kind of worried about). We then sat there for close to two hours listening to the ending and post game shows. Never did make it to all my stops that day.

That is amazing. I mean it really is... think about it.

Sports (specifically talking Syracuse) brings people from all walks of lives together and is an instantaneous bond. You were probably pretty nervous when they first walked up... and probably for good reason... enough for them to even say - hey we're gonna be cool if you're gonna be cool.

I'll never forget the Texas game in 2003. I was in the 200 level right around basket level (same side that hak blocked the shot on 2 nights later, i honestly think i had the best seat in the house for that block).

Back to my story...

When Josh Pace had the fast break dunk and we knew we were going to win, I was in the aisle jumping with 4 or 5 of the most random men... 1 looked like a homeless guy with very little teeth. I was hugging him. After a minute or 2 of that, I took a step back and thought to myself... this is so cool. Most of the times that people come together are limited to tragedies. This is everyone coming together in a celebratory way. That feeling is what living is all about.

I started drinking early to mid-way through the 2nd half when i was convinced we were going to lose. We immediately started playing well.

So I had to keep drinking the entire way. And it worked to perfection.

You're welcome.

Remind me... which ACC team do you root for?

Carolina...but I was pulling for 'Cuse during that game hardcore, they were (and still are) my favorite collegiate team other than UNC.

I was living at my parents house at the time as that was while I was going through some pretty bad health issues. But it was great to be able to watch the game with my dad. The next morning I went into work at my normal time at 7:30 pm. Of course my boss knew I was a big Syracuse fan (everybody that knows me knows that) and he looked at me like "How the heck did you make it in so early after that?" Pretty sure it was just adrenaline. Once that wore off, I was pretty much dead that afternoon.

@ MSG. Was in NY on a well-scheduled business trip, with a business associate who was one of the captains of the last Duke Football team to win an ACC Championship (either '86 or '87--can't remember--under the tutelage of Steve Spurrier).

We sat in section 334--which I considered a good omen because 34 was my jersey number in both high school and college (I played one uninspired year as a 6th man in DIII before transferring to SU). Our flight was supposed to leave that afternoon, but I promised him that I would pay for the tickets and the rental car back to 'Cuse if we went to the game. He reluctantly obliged. We pre-gamed at the Blarney, which is funny, because I still have never met a single member of this board, and yet remember SO MANY posts from people who were there that evening. It remains one of life's great mysteries to me--I rarely post here, yet I've "known" so many of you for more than maybe 15-20 years.

We obviously enjoyed the game immensely. My Duke buddy, like some Duke fans, spent a good portion of the pre-game busting my balls about the ACC powers-that-be, and then busted my balls as our second-half lead wilted away. What we witnessed over the course of the next 6 overtimes transformed us. I realized after Rautins' 3 that it didn't matter who won the game--I was witnessing something bigger than I had ever seen before. And changed our friendship forever, for the better. When it was over, Bubba turned to me, gave me a hug like only a lineman could, and thanked me for forcing him to go to the greatest game he had ever seen...

We took a cab to our hotel, picked up our bags, and then took another cab to LaGurdia, where we picked up our rental car. I don't remember clearly, but sometime around 4:30 in the morning, I called my wife (from Rt. 17) and told her not to send my four sons to school at SRE in Liverpool the next day. We watched it together on ESPN classic at some point that day--the boys were so young that I remember thinking they were watching it live.

The next year, at Christmas, I received the second-most prized gift in my SU collection (right after my signed photo of "The Block")--the tickets from that night in a frame, along with a picture of me engaging Bubba in a full-on headlock with the scoreboard in the background. This year, Bubba secured tickets to the game at Cameron for the two of us--it was the most touching gift that someone who is not a member of my immediate family has ever given to me. I plan on returning the tickets to him--at Christmas, of course.

God, I love Syracuse Basketball.