Which conference gets the most teams to this weekend? | Syracusefan.com

Which conference gets the most teams to this weekend?

SBU72

All Conference
I was very surprised by the B10 getting the most schools in. Thinking the ACC gets most there. Of course they have the advantage of have 3 #1's

No surprise that they had the most -- I have been predicting this before conference play started due to the fact that they had the best conference metrics prior to December 31. It was only made better by the fact that they had 20 games in conference giving them even more Q1/2 win opportunities.

The ACC is not a great conference this year. Great, great at the top. But some really bad teams that were a drag to teams in the middle of the pack that were fighting for bids. Those extra bad teams draw down the conference metrics which drive bids.

No surprise that they had the most -- I have been predicting this before conference play started due to the fact that they had the best conference metrics prior to December 31. It was only made better by the fact that they had 20 games in conference giving them even more Q1/2 win opportunities.

The ACC is not a great conference this year. Great, great at the top. But some really bad teams that were a drag to teams in the middle of the pack that were fighting for bids. Those extra bad teams draw down the conference metrics which drive bids.
Yeah the current system values the first half of the season too highly - in NCAA - with constant roster churn and new players every season - the second half of the season should be given more weight. Teams don't often become "themselves" until March and the most successful teams often improve/gel considerably in FEB/MARCH/APR...its the norm for teams to evolve considerably over 4 or 5 months...

As is, the first half of the season seems to lock in the range of what can happen with the rankings too narrowly, imo. I prefer a recency bias to game weight - but I can see why some don't...by highly valuing the non-conference it makes all of the games more important...and gives teams a chance to rise above being in a weaker conf. (in theory anyway)

My problem with that is that it seems like a conference that does well early can just ride the coattails of that all year - like the big10 - i refuse to believe they are the best conference - not even close imo...it might be more fair to value the non-conference but it isn't as predictive.

Yeah the current system values the first half of the season too highly - in NCAA - with constant roster churn and new players every season - the second half of the season should be given more weight. Teams don't often become "themselves" until March and the most successful teams often improve/gel considerably in FEB/MARCH/APR...its the norm for teams to evolve considerably over 4 or 5 months...

As is, the first half of the season seems to lock in the range of what can happen with the rankings too narrowly, imo. I prefer a recency bias to game weight - but I can see why some don't...by highly valuing the non-conference it makes all of the games more important...and gives teams a chance to rise above being in a weaker conf. (in theory anyway)

My problem with that is that it seems like a conference that does well early can just ride the coattails of that all year - like the big10 - i refuse to believe they are the best conference - not even close imo...it might be more fair to value the non-conference but it isn't as predictive.
If you discount the first part of the season (mostly pre-conference play) and overweight the 2nd half ... you disincent teams to play good teams in the pre conference. It's not what the NCAA or TV nets want. They want more top teams playing each other, not less.

If you discount the first part of the season (mostly pre-conference play) and overweight the 2nd half ... you disincent teams to play good teams in the pre conference. It's not what the NCAA or TV nets want. They want more top teams playing each other, not less.
If you discount the first half oh the season then the ACC playing a conference game to open the season discounts it. Also the conference challenge made for tv games lose value. Also heavily weighting the the last 10 (old system) really hurts when the conferences back load the schedule like ACC does. SU would never get in facing Duke, UNC, Virginia 5 or 6 times during that span.

Did 20 big ten games hurt Indiana?

The big ten is probably the the closest packed top to bottom. Their best is not as good as the ACC's and their worst are better than the bottom of the ACC. What defines the quality of the conference? I'm not entirely sure. When we were in the Big East and the ACC was Duke, UNC, and everyone else, we would say depth and the ACC fans would point to the success of their best teams. I would say the ACC this year probably resembled those days. The B1G probably wasn't as strong as those Big East days, but they probably had more mediocre teams worthy of getting in the tourney than the ACC did this year.

The big ten is probably the the closest packed top to bottom. Their best is not as good as the ACC's and their worst are better than the bottom of the ACC. What defines the quality of the conference? I'm not entirely sure. When we were in the Big East and the ACC was Duke, UNC, and everyone else, we would say depth and the ACC fans would point to the success of their best teams. I would say the ACC this year probably resembled those days. The B1G probably wasn't as strong as those Big East days, but they probably had more mediocre teams worthy of getting in the tourney than the ACC did this year.

I suspect a lot of the B1G profile is marketing. I didn't watch a single B1G game this year, despite that there were many games on the tube. If ESPN and the other talking heads out there were to report what boring defensive slugfests their games are, people would eventually tune out. But there are a lot of loyal fans and alumni bases that follow their schools, and that translates into a lot of money. Like I always say, it's the illusions that make the reality tolerable.

Last edited:
Not to start anything here, but doesn't this statement make your opinion on the B1G kinda moot?

Fair question if you didn't notice I said "this year." The truth is I have watched those games during previous seasons, and found them dreadful. But, different strokes ...
noidea.gif

Fair question if you didn't notice I said "this year." The truth is I have watched those games during previous seasons, and found them dreadful. But, different strokes ... View attachment 156740

I tend to agree with you, although maybe not to the extreme you go. I think Mich is entertaining, and I like watching Ethan Happ play (when he's not at the foul line), but yeah... I have switched away from a fair share of Minn/Ind/Iowa games.

I suspect a lot of the B1G profile is marketing. I didn't watch a single B1G game this year, despite that there were many games on the tube. If ESPN and the other talking heads out there were to report what boring defensive slugfests their games are, people would eventually tune out. But there are a lot of loyal fans and alimni bases that follow their schools, and that translates into a lot of money. Like I always say, it's the illusions that make the reality tolerable.
Just because they're boring doesn't mean they can't be good. I suppose we at least get a glimpse during the tournament. This is why I hate how everyone keeps expanding conference games and reducing the nonconference. A late non conference game between good teams used to be fun and gave a little perspective on how teams from different conferences were developing throughout the year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom