White- "silent scorer" | Syracusefan.com

White- "silent scorer"

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
It seems this guy piles up points very quietly.

Last four games- 27, 24, 28, 23. Has not sat one minute.

When was the last time we had someone score 20+ four straight times?

It's pretty rare at the college level, but especially for Syracuse, right?

I agree. Part of it is he's been overshadowed in these last two games anyway. Gillon and then Battle. In the other two, I'd have to look it up, but Lydon was a standout, I think.

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I root for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.

Last edited:
I agree. Part of it is he's been overshadowed in these last two games anyway. Gillon and then Battle. In the other two, I'd have to look it up, but Lydon was a standout, I think.

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I route for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even if a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.

He'll be as Syracuse as Syracuse gets after he leads us to the National Championship. ;)

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I route for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even if a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.

Good call. It's complicated with this guy, I keep calling him an enigma. White's more talented than most of the guys we've had in recent years, obviously works as hard as anyone, has already improved a ton in matter of months. Phenomenal free-throw sho0ter, even better because we never have someone who can do that. Something seems off about him, honestly - I'd root harder for B.J. Johnson. But it's impossible to find much fault with his play, and we've probably got more wins with him that we'd have without him. Glad he's here and happy to root for someone like that.

Good call. It's complicated with this guy, I keep calling him an enigma. White's more talented than most of the guys we've had in recent years, obviously works as hard as anyone, has already improved a ton in matter of months. Phenomenal free-throw sho0ter, even better because we never have someone who can do that. Something seems off about him, honestly - I'd root harder for B.J. Johnson. But it's impossible to find much fault with his play, and we've probably got more wins with him that we'd have without him. Glad he's here and happy to root for someone like that.

He sort of has a vibe about him--I can't place it-- that I can't warm to. And again, not his fault. I think it's just because he's quiet and new to us. Gillon is new too but feels more likeable. Again, not that White has done anything at all. The kid has done everything right and he is great at what he is. Maybe he needs to go diving into a loose ball pile but then again when have we had one of those guys...Waffles?

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I root for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.

Get used to it I guess... I appreciate what Gillon and White have done ... next year might be the same scenario ... and in some way we need to try to find joy in the uniform and not the players with everyone leaving early anyways ... but as much as I like White it's harder to root for a "mercenary."

Right on brother! You beat me to a post similar to what I had in my head, but being overshadowed lately. His "switch" seems to be on overall for these games, oven if it is off and on for stretches during the game, while he lets/helps others to shine.

And the things he says about the team, about Boeheim, the words are all correct and make me happy to have him.....even if something about the "feel" of the words or the guy in general seems a bit off like the last couple of post imply. I've often been a bit of an "outsider"(even here, obviously), so I can kind of relate and know the "odd" feeling doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the guy. Not all human beings are smooth, especially if in their heads something is preventing them from feeling like a natural fit.

The guy is still evolving, "growing" into the SU mold even though he's played the majority of his 5th season. Even though he had a short time here, I'm glad we got him. After the apparent growth and unity of the team recently, I think both he and they are glad he's here. Although OttoInGrotto is the self-proclaimed arbiter of nicknames, I'm cool with having another guy with "Silent" in his name to replace the beloved "Silent" that has passed on to life beyond the Cuse.

People like to use this "glue" term, so is that what he has recently become, in your folks' opinion?

Get used to it I guess... I appreciate what Gillon and White have done ... next year might be the same scenario ... and in some way we need to try to find joy in the uniform and not the players with everyone leaving early anyways ... but as much as I like White it's harder to root for a "mercenary."

I kinda like the mercenary label in real life. I think it's rather rugged, sexy, mysterious, feared. I'm invoking the name OttoInGrotto so he will see it in his notifications and appear, and convene a meeting of nicknames, which is long overdue.

It was during the Ennis nickname thread(voodoo and such) where OIG annointed me with the responsibility of a heavy yolk. It is time for you to appear OIG, and dispense your powers unto this thread!

Right on brother! You beat me to a post similar to what I had in my head, but being overshadowed lately. His "switch" seems to be on overall for these games, oven if it is off and on for stretches during the game, while he lets/helps others to shine.

And the things he says about the team, about Boeheim, the words are all correct and make me happy to have him...even if something about the "feel" of the words or the guy in general seems a bit off like the last couple of post imply. I've often been a bit of an "outsider"(even here, obviously), so I can kind of relate and know the "odd" feeling doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the guy. Not all human beings are smooth, especially if in their heads something is preventing them from feeling like a natural fit.

The guy is still evolving, "growing" into the SU mold even though he's played the majority of his 5th season. Even though he had a short time here, I'm glad we got him. After the apparent growth and unity of the team recently, I think both he and they are glad he's here. Although OttoInGrotto is the self-proclaimed arbiter of nicknames, I'm cool with having another guy with "Silent" in his name to replace the beloved "Silent" that has passed on to life beyond the Cuse.

People like to use this "glue" term, so is that what he has recently become, in your folks' opinion?

CaptainJ you are a special and unique snowflake.

I think with White, it's just that he's quiet. I don't know that Gillon really ever became "one of ours" for some until that wink he gave the NC State crowd. It's probably just a personality thing. Certainly not a talent issue because the guy is legit.

CaptainJ Good post above but AW3 is not a glue guy. Glue guys are guys that typically don't score a lot but do the little things well that hold a team together: grabbing loose balls, making the extra pass etc. And yes, maybe making a big shot or whatever from time to time. Glue guys are not a primary option. Like on the '03 team, we had a couple glue guys: Duany and Pace.

I think with White, it's just that he's quiet. I don't know that Gillon really ever became "one of ours" for some until that wink he gave the NC State crowd. It's probably just a personality thing. Certainly not a talent issue because the guy is legit.

That's what I meant, yeah. (For the most part)

Captain doesn't think people like him here. I think he's one of our most interesting posters. I mean that wholeheartedly.

U cant like that comment unless u know the reference :) i dont get that feel but ive been mostly a lurker the last 10 yr

Good thread. White just goes about his business. Turning into one deadly shooter. Dialed in and a serious cat on the court. Seems sort of expressionless and not a talker but I think it is mostly focus. He is improving on defense and at putting it on the floor. He also looks like a man and not a kid. Probably a very mature guy off the court. What a stroke. Glad he came to Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom