Whitehurst taking Rutgers official... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Whitehurst taking Rutgers official...

It is good to be in the .001 Thanks Bees

Of all the schools we should get a mulligan at Don Bosco...the Toals are connected to Syracuse through marriage. :cool:

You and Tristy man.

I would think we would do better due to that. Tough school.

LOL - of course Marrone has - the easiest one that comes to mind is Gause last year but there are plenty of others. Schiano seems to target the FL kids that SU offers - but SU certainly continues to try to recruit any NYS (and I'm sure any PA and NJ) kid that they think they have a chance to flip or that continues to talk to the SU coaches after they verbal.

Marrone had recruited Gause before he committed to Rutgers. That's a different story. Shinola seems to wait until Marrone gets a verbal before he tries talk to the kids ...to get the kid do de-committ. Do you have examples of Marrone doing that do Rutgers verbals? I think it happened a few times last year where the kid was committed to Rutgers and before signing day, Shinola starts recruiting the kid. All is fair in war but we don't see as much of that with other schools as with Rutgers.

Rob Moore is a great guy, cool cat no doubt, great athlete maybe he just isn't cut out for the recruiting game. Who knows, or maybe the staff is sending him out unprepared. I don't know though, these guys have to come prepared as well.

Is and ex NFL guy really going to want to go in and get on his knees and grab some high school coaches wallet? I wouldn't. Maybe Jersey isn't the spot for him or like I said, he may not be cut out for it. Then again, maybe the Boscoe coach is a complete touchhole and enjoyed busting on Moore. A lot of these HS coaches are real douche bags for sure

What might hurt Rob is he is a real laid back, easy going dude. Not some meathead.

Marrone had recruited Gause before he committed to Rutgers. That's a different story. Shinola seems to wait until Marrone gets a verbal before he tries talk to the kids ...to get the kid do de-committ. Do you have examples of Marrone doing that do Rutgers verbals? I think it happened a few times last year where the kid was committed to Rutgers and before signing day, Shinola starts recruiting the kid. All is fair in war but we don't see as much of that with other schools as with Rutgers.
You realize his name is Schiano, right? Just wondering if this is a joke name like the many others we have for him...

Rob Moore is a great guy, cool cat no doubt, great athlete maybe he just isn't cut out for the recruiting game. Who knows, or maybe the staff is sending him out unprepared. I don't know though, these guys have to come prepared as well.

Is and ex NFL guy really going to want to go in and get on his knees and grab some high school coaches wallet? I wouldn't. Maybe Jersey isn't the spot for him or like I said, he may not be cut out for it. Then again, maybe the Boscoe coach is a complete touchhole and enjoyed busting on Moore. A lot of these HS coaches are real douche bags for sure

What might hurt Rob is he is a real laid back, easy going dude. Not some meathead.

That's what I was trying to say earlier. You truly can't blame a guy for not knowing all of the ins and outs of recruiting if you have no top level recruiting guy showing you how's it done. On the flip side, I worked in the car business for 8 years and there wasn't a chance in hell anyone was going to help me sell cars. I figured everything out myself, sent b-day cards, christmas cards, thank you cards, and built up a real nice business. So maybe he is partially to blame :D

You realize his name is Schiano, right? Just wondering if this is a joke name like the many others we have for him...

Yes, it's a joke name.

Cons
What does it mean?
Consider it pay back for the obscure Gucci Mane Popular culture reference. some more seasoned (and more audically attuned) posters like myself had no idea on that one.

Cons
Consider it pay back for the obscure Gucci Mane Popular culture reference. some more seasoned (and more audically attuned) posters like myself had no idea on that one.
That's fair haha. Guess my age showed a bit

Little things like making your coaches wear shirt and tie when in schools, scheduling your Junior Day before any other school, and being the first to send "offer" letters go much farther than anyone would expect.

Well if what Marrone said is true this won't be as much an issue anymore since now they are getting caught up and looking at 13 and 14 ... at least we hope that is the case ...

According to OE's articles this morning. Used car salesman is up to his old tricks. Too bad we 86ed Neal. Could have another Glashen on our hands
Whitehurst is a big fan of Jerseylicious. Wants to get a first hand look at those big butts.

Sorry to keep moving this thread up on everyone's time lines but work called. I loved this point though. This is the fundamental principal of recruiting.

Little things like making your coaches wear shirt and tie when in schools, scheduling your Junior Day before any other school, and being the first to send "offer" letters go much farther than anyone would expect.

I agree with this, but its not necessarily about impressing the coaches anymore. Most of these kids are extremely superficial and the coaches have less and less sway over them these days. It doesnt change the point about first impressions, its just that i care more about the staff making a good first impression on player x then i do on coach x.

I know I am in the minority here, but I could really give a what Toal and his staff think. Don Bosco hasnt sent anyone to SU since ... well ... ever (?). They want SU to lineup to kiss the ring so they can have a shot at all the kids that didnt go Big 10, SEC, Notre Dame, BC or Rutgers. This pretty much leaves SU with non-qualifiers and mid-major types.

Keep mining NY for raw talent, then go to FLA and GA for their B-listers. Works for me.

Honestly, if Marrone really wants to improve recruiting, he should convince someone at the NYSPHSAA to allow spring football practice and year round lifting. The he should encourage schools like the CBAs, LaSalle, Aquinas, the Buffalo parochial schools to recruit the areas best players like crazy. NY could use its own Don Bosco, Bergan Catholic or St. Peters.

I'm dying for something positive. It's all been bad lately... Why does something we all love so much, give us so much pain??

It sucks to have recruits that other schools are interested in. :confused:

Seriously, I think it's a nice change to have players that other schools want bad. Doesn't due my nerves any good but it's still better than having a team full of guys that other schools have seen, and not deemed worthy. One can't consist only on "diamonds in the rough".

Moore is new to the recruiting game and hopefully will get better. I'm more worried about what he does with the players that get here. Lemon is playing well, West looks solid, Graham is getting better, and after that it's a bunch of unknowns. I'm not holding my breathe on landing ready made WR's like the kid at Clemson or the kids Oklahoma get every year.

If our coaches truly don't use any outside recruiting services then this would be a sign of that and somewhat more acceptable.

Hackett was your boy, what happened?

Hey I still like NH as a person and may eventually grow into a good OC; but I was referring in this case to purely recruiting. Hackett has not proven to be a good recruiter at this point at Syracuse.

in hacket's defense - there have been quite a few players that have mentioned his name and that they liked him. I'm not implying he is a good recruiter at all just stating the fact that players have dropped his name. I remember on the pay board a couple of years ago we were up in arms a few times when players were interviewed about Syracuse and they had no idea the name of the coaches they had even talked to. At least some of the players know his name, it's not like it's a household name like some others on the staff.