Whither Baseball? | Syracusefan.com

Whither Baseball?

SWC75

Bored Historian
I was reading this article about some Mets who were on our Olyumpic baseball teams:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443931404577552894040748890.html

R.A. Dickey says that it's too bad baseball is a "fringe" sport internationally and that the rest of the world wasn't interested enough in it to keep it in the Olympics. I watch the Olympics and there seem to be several sports that few countries really compete in in, (beach volleyball?). I view baseball as an international sport- not to the extent soccer is or basketball has become, but it popular in North and Central America and eastern Asia, basically the Pacific rim. Isn't that enough?

I called Bud and the Manchild and Bud thought it was a matter of expense- you build a baseball stadium in London, what are you going to do with it afterwards? Yes, you could turn it into a soccer filed, but they have plenty of them. I would think a baseball field and grandstand could be converted to other uses ro rather easily torn down, (you wouldn't need to build a concrete edifice). I don't see the problem here.

I do remember when the announcement was made there was specutlation it had more to do with MLB not releasing it's stars to play play in the Olympics like the NHL does or perhaps an anti-American feeling in the wake of the invasion of Iraq. Frankly, that makes more sense to me. But it also seems like the wrong basis for making such decisions.

We have the World Baseball Classic now. The USA hasn't embraced it, but the other nations, particularly in Asia, love it. Inclusion in the olympics is unnecessary in my opinion.

We have the World Baseball Classic now. The USA hasn't embraced it, but the other nations, particularly in Asia, love it. Inclusion in the olympics is unnecessary in my opinion.

All the Olympic sports have World Championships. Nothing hypos a sport more internaitonationaly than inclusion in the Olympics. I'm hoping to see baseball become as popular internationally as soccer and basketball have become and being in the Olympics is the key to that. It matters.

All the Olympic sports have World Championships. Nothing hypos a sport more internaitonationaly than inclusion in the Olympics. I'm hoping to see baseball become as popular internationally as soccer and basketball have become and being in the Olympics is the key to that. It matters.
I don't know the numbers, but I would guess that baseball is nearly as popular as basketball in much of the world; Asia and Latin America in particular.

I don't know the numbers, but I would guess that baseball is nearly as popular as basketball in much of the world; Asia and Latin America in particular.

Basketball is popular on all the continents. Most of the latin ballplayers in the major leagues are from the Dominican Republic or Venezuela, because efforts were made to introduce the sport there years ago. Mexico has a history in it but their players tend to stay home. The rest of Latin America is all about soccer, as well as basketball in Brazil and Argentina. Baseball is popular in Japan, Korea and Taiwan and is played in Austrailia. China has barely heard of it. Efforts are being made to introduce it to Africa. It's never even had a foothold in Europe.

If it were an Olympic sport, that would begin to change and the changes would accelerate as we go on.

I don't think the version of baseball we saw in the Olympics (i.e., college players and minor league free agents), will generate much interest. The world should see the best players and without MLB making an arrangement similar to the NHL's, that won't happen. I don't think MLB will make such an arrangement. They are putting their eggs in the World Baseball Classic, which I think is fine.
Nothing will ever compete with soccer internationally, although ironically, men's soccer seems to be an afterthought in the Olympics. I think baseball has done a great job of making it an international game in the last 20-30 years. It is miles ahead of American Football.
The influx of players from Asia and Latin America has enabled MLB to overcome the loss of inner-city African-Americans. With MLB already on track in growing the sport internationally, I think getting back to the inner-city should be its next focus.

I don't think the version of baseball we saw in the Olympics (i.e., college players and minor league free agents), will generate much interest. The world should see the best players and without MLB making an arrangement similar to the NHL's, that won't happen. I don't think MLB will make such an arrangement. They are putting their eggs in the World Baseball Classic, which I think is fine.
Nothing will ever compete with soccer internationally, although ironically, men's soccer seems to be an afterthought in the Olympics. I think baseball has done a great job of making it an international game in the last 20-30 years. It is miles ahead of American Football.
The influx of players from Asia and Latin America has enabled MLB to overcome the loss of inner-city African-Americans. With MLB already on track in growing the sport internationally, I think getting back to the inner-city should be its next focus.

Football has little international appeal because of it's violence and all the equipment needed. It's also a very regimented sport. To grow internaitonally you have to have a sport poor kids can play in an empty lot. Soccer and basketball passed that test and base has, too, where it's been introduced. Again the Latin American countries the major leagues get their players from are primarily two: the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. The World Baseball Classic has hardly "taken off" yet and the Olympics would make the game much more prominent. I do think the refusal of MLB to make their top players available for a "dream team" was a reason why the IOC booted the sport. If the sport were truly international to the extent soccer or basketball have become, they would never have done that. Basketball is the template for a sport growing from a national to an internaitonal sport through the Olympics and their advantage is that it's a sport playered in the winter that doesn't use the winter so it's part of the Summer Olympics. The baseball owners need to take a page from the NHL and realize that the future of the sport is more important than the narrow focus on the present. But I'm not holding my breath.

The World Baseball Classic has hardly "taken off" yet...
It definitely has in Asia. When Korea and Japan met in the finals it was a very big deal there.

Baby steps

It definitely has in Asia. When Korea and Japan met in the finals it was a very big deal there.

Baby steps

The Olympics would have accelerated it beyond baby steps.

MLB, despite the corporate line that Bud spews, wants little to do with the WBC, let alone the Olympics. Look at the plight of the Israel trying to qualify for the event. They hold the qualifier in September, so they're stuck with using retired MLBer and a bunch of scrubs instead of the people who could actually represent the squad (theoretically Ryan Braun, Youkilis, Kinsler).

Unless MLB agrees to halt their schedule for two weeks, I don't see a return to the Olympics happening.

MLB, despite the corporate line that Bud spews, wants little to do with the WBC, let alone the Olympics. Look at the plight of the Israel trying to qualify for the event. They hold the qualifier in September, so they're stuck with using retired MLBer and a bunch of scrubs instead of the people who could actually represent the squad (theoretically Ryan Braun, Youkilis, Kinsler).

Unless MLB agrees to halt their schedule for two weeks, I don't see a return to the Olympics happening.

They wouldn't have to halt the schedule. They'd just have to release the players on the Olympic team. Baseball is both a team and an individual sport and this is more doable on short notice than the other sports. But as it would imapct the pennant race, they aren't likely to agree to that, either. What it would take is to continue sending amateurs and minor leaguers and have the public get sick of gettong beat in our native sport and demand a "dream team". It would do more good for the sport and for MLB to have a dream team in the long run but baseball's decision makers exist only in the short run. (Unless you're Stephen Strasburg.)

The teams are never going to agree to release their players during the season. Non starter.

What it would take is to continue sending amateurs and minor leaguers and have the public get sick of gettong beat in our native sport and demand a "dream team".

This would be a start. Kinda like in basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom