Who’s the Point Guard next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who’s the Point Guard next year?

I’m also curious, what player ever missed pretty much their first two years and came back as dominant as people around here think? Never? Rarely? Once? Twice?
I think back to that dude who played at Harvard, transfer possiblity here, went to OSU instead and had like 7 5 years of college basketball due to injuries but couldn't come back. Seth Towns?

ETA: Yes, two medical RSs and didn't finish out his Jr season and didn't play again.

People are suggesting Copeland, have we lost our minds? It has to be a pass-first PG that is a good three-point shooter from the portal.
I liked the post but if roster stays as constructed minus Judah which I hope does not happen. I would give Cope the first shot at it with JJ as the backup. I have been saying that Cope reminds me of Scoop early in his career, lakes both good and bad happen but no denying the talent, the will to win and intangibles. Scoop became very reliable the further he got into his career,

Copeland isn’t a starting PG in my opinion. The #1 trait you want in your PG is to protect the ball. That is definitely not Copeland.
I disagree as last game was a bad one but before that he had 5-6 games where he was solid with the ball. Also that will improve as he plays more and more.

If he isn’t a point guard then I don’t think he really has another position.
His "position" is the same position he is playing this season in Red's system. His skill set is best suited as a hybrid guard/forward and this meshes well in Red's system. His versatility and energy are the key - much more so than what position people think he should play.

FWIW, I do not think Q is a true PG. To give him that role exclusively, and then have other teams scout and defend him that way, will exacerbate the things he doesn't do well.

I disagree as last game was a bad one but before that he had 5-6 games where he was solid with the ball. Also that will improve as he plays more and more.
I don’t think so. That doesn’t appear to be a skill you just magically learn in all my years of watching college hoops. Yes you can incrementally get beater but he’s been really bad at turning the ball over in the 1.5 seasons we’ve watched him. He does have some games where he is decent but all and all he’s bad.

His "position" is the same position he is playing this season in Red's system. His skill set is best suited as a hybrid guard/forward and this meshes well in Red's system. His versatility and energy are the key - much more so than what position people think he should play.

FWIW, I do not think Q is a true PG. To give him that role exclusively, and then have other teams scout and defend him that way, will exacerbate the things he doesn't do well.
Is he hard to defend now?

I think back to that dude who played at Harvard, transfer possiblity here, went to OSU instead and had like 7 5 years of college basketball due to injuries but couldn't come back. Seth Towns?

ETA: Yes, two medical RSs and didn't finish out his Jr season and didn't play again.
Seth Towns is currently avging 15ppg at Howard

Seth Towns is currently avging 15ppg at Howard
Weird how BBref shows them as two different players.

So his career looks like this:
2016-17 - Harvard FR 28 games 689 minutes
2017-18 - Harvard SO 30 games 838 minutes
2018-19 - Harvard RS DNP Injury
2019-20 - Harvard RS DNP Injury
2020-21 - Ohio State JR 25 games 271 minutes
2021-22 - DNP
2022-23 - DNP
2023-24 - Howard SR 17 games 551 minutes

I hope he has his PhD!

Last edited:
I don’t think JJ is it there, but who would it be? Copeland? Westry if he’s back and not rusty? I think this is a more important question than anything else. Our passing outside of Judah is mostly terrible.
Copeland and Westry.

Weird how BBref shows them as two different players.

So his career looks like this:
2016-17 - Harvard FR 28 games 689 minutes
2017-18 - Harvard SO 30 games 838 minutes
2018-19 - Harvard RS DNP Injury
2019-20 - Harvard RS DNP Injury
2020-21 - Ohio State JR 25 games 271 minutes
2021-22 - DNP
2022-23 - DNP
2023-24 - Howard SR 17 games 551 minutes

I hope he has his PhD!
I hope he got his Harvard degree.

Copeland isn’t a starting PG in my opinion. The #1 trait you want in your PG is to protect the ball. That is definitely not Copeland.
I know people here are used to our guards not developing past their sophomore year but there's a new sheriff in town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom