Who else was considered... | Syracusefan.com

Who else was considered...

corpjet

Board Prophet
When Daryl Gross made the bone head move to hire Greg Robinson?

Were one week away from our 10th win of the season and the program is headed to levels we haven’t seen since Coach McPherson however I thought this might be some good chatter.

I tried to find some links going back but was unsuccessful. Who else was on our short list after we fired PP?

Were one week away from our 10th win of the season and the program is headed to levels we haven’t seen since Coach McPherson however I thought this might be some good chatter.

I tried to find some links going back but was unsuccessful. Who else was on our short list after we fired PP?

I have no idea what you’re talking about? Greg Robinson?

Neuralizer1.jpg.cf.jpg

jerry gray
tim lewis
Donnie henderson
grob

final 2 were gray and grob

Oh god we were doomed

gross wanted to follow the same model that worked at usc with pete carroll, a coach with an nfl defensive background. grob, Henderson (jets), gray (bills) and lewis (giants) were the 4 to get formal interviews.

Well I totally disagree that we haven’t seen these levels since Coach MAC. I know people trashed him but Coach be had plenty of seasons at least as good if not better over his tenure. Seems like a little bit of rewriting history to not acknowledge that. I would even say he was better than Mac and if not for the N.C. right up there with coach Ben. Let’s give credit where it’s due.

Well I totally disagree that we haven’t seen these levels since Coach MAC. I know people trashed him but Coach be had plenty of seasons at least as good if not better over his tenure. Seems like a little bit of rewriting history to not acknowledge that. I would even say he was better than Mac and if not for the N.C. right up there with coach Ben. Let’s give credit where it’s due.

It’s not a coincidence that D joined the program in 86 and P in 87 and things took off. There’s a reason Jake made the decision he did when Mac left.

Last edited:
jerry gray
tim lewis
Donnie henderson
grob

final 2 were gray and grob
Dr Gross did some good things and was a very nice guy. But that has to be the worst list of finalists for a major coaching position ever.

GRob was arguably the worst hire in the history of college athletics.

Donnie Henderson is the DC for something called the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance for American football. That is his first DC job since 2006.

Tim Lewis got fired from the Giants and never held a DC position again. Finally got a HC position this year, with the Birmingham Iron, also of the Alliance for American football. I have never heard of this alliance before.

Jerry Gray was fired as the Packers DC, and has spent the years since coaching DBs, except for a 3 year block as DC of the Titans.

You would think that with his love of flash, Daryl would have gone after an offensive oriented HC. The success with Carroll robbed him of any reason.

The process that ended up with Carroll becoming the HC at USC BTW was a series of bad moves and missteps. He was at best their 4th choice, probably considerably lower than that.

For Pete's Sake, USC, Why Did You Do It?
The Making of Pete Carroll :: The man at the helm of USC's streak finds a home in L.A.
USC Hires Carroll

and? they talked, but the 4 I listed were the final 4 and grob and gray the final 2. I could, but wont, even tell you where the interviews took place.
Weren’t they in some bar at the Newark airport??

Done on a layover??

Context is key. DG wasn't going to fire P. Remember the press conference that P was staying. However, his hand was forced by the BoT after the bowl game. So now, to new hire candidates, Gross looks like he can't be trusted, and that he mistreated a well regarded coach. Plus, by then, everybody of consequence was tied up. TGD was swimming in a shallow pool to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom