Who else was considered... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who else was considered...

Didn’t he leave USC to be OC of the Titans not long after?
Chow wanted the job for what I was told.
Gross didn’t want him. He listened to Pete Carroll.
I remember after P was fired the old Syrfan on rivals was named the Chow Line.

We all thought he was going to be the guy. Gross didn’t though. Who knows if Chow would have worked but I think our 2005 offense is better and their was talent on D.
I watched GRob’s first game on YouTube and man our offense couldn’t get plays in fast enough and the d was forcing turnovers and making plays.

If we had a decent offense in 2005 I imagine it’s a 5 to 7 win team.

Didn’t he leave USC to be OC of the Titans not long after?

Chow was a casual consideration at a party.

This quote from the article is interesting.

"He's already laid out his formula," Carroll said after USC's second workout in South Florida in preparation for the Orange Bowl. "It sounds like he's looking for a defensive guy. He likes the way we did it here."

CHOW SAYS HE'S NOT PURSUING SYRACUSE JOB

Didn’t Orgeron lobby for the job?
He lobbied after Marrone I believe. That was right after he wasn't given USC and became the DC at LSU.

I work with a player who was on the team as the transition from P to Grob happened. He said the players were all hoping Skip Holtz would get an interview, and that none of them felt good about Grob. He said the chaos that went on behind the scenes during the Grob era deserves a 30 for 30.

I would love to hear the inside story from the players from those years.

I would love to hear the inside story from the players from those years.
I've heard a few good ones...but I'm not sharing;)
Unless another player could also vouch for the stories, it would just be gossip.

i think Orgeron would have been a flaming dumpster fire here. I know he is doing "OK" at LSU, but we arent LSU, we dont have the resources of an LSU.

Speaking of Orgeron, how great was this clip circulating the web today...

i think Orgeron would have been a flaming dumpster fire here. I know he is doing "OK" at LSU, but we arent LSU, we dont have the resources of an LSU.

Speaking of Orgeron, how great was this clip circulating the web today...

I love coach o. The story about him giving a pregame talk while having a worm in his mouth cracks me up everytime i see him.

I've heard a few good ones...but I'm not sharing;)
Unless another player could also vouch for the stories, it would just be gossip.
I do know that for P's last game, the play book was 90 pages, and a total of ZERO offensive adjustments were made at halftime.
I also know that the staff was so miserable the last year, that there was active unrecruiting by host players, and many on the team said they would rather be 1-10 with GRob than win with P. It was toxic at the end.

I mean in addition to that list the other two names I remember getting bounced around were Norm Chow and Bo Pellini.

lol
Chow was hot then and the USC connection....

I do know that for P's last game, the play book was 90 pages, and a total of ZERO offensive adjustments were made at halftime.
I also know that the staff was so miserable the last year, that there was active unrecruiting by host players, and many on the team said they would rather be 1-10 with GRob than win with P. It was toxic at the end.

Sounds like real sound scholar athletes in that group!

Gross offered it to Lane Kiffin. He turned it down.

Edit: Wait. That may have been after GRob was fired.

Coach P had one year left on his contract.

We would have faced Urban Meyer's Utah squad in the Fiesta Bowl, and they probably would have hung 50 on us anyways.

IMO Coach P would have coached in 2005, and depending on how the season went, he may or may not have been extended after that.

The options were extend or fire. You can't have a lame duck coach in D1 football. Any kid with options isn't signing on for a team where the coaching staff could be gone by the time the kid gets there. It also puts the potential new coach in a hole. Also if they were going to fire P it should have been before the bowl game.

The options were extend or fire. You can't have a lame duck coach in D1 football. Any kid with options isn't signing on for a team where the coaching staff could be gone by the time the kid gets there. It also puts the potential new coach in a hole. Also if they were going to fire P it should have been before the bowl game.

If we beat Temple and were headed to the Fiesta Bowl, P doesn't get fired beforehand.

Buyouts weren't too big back then. They should have extended for 3 years and gave him one more so Gross could do his due diligence.

Of the three major brands he didn't really touch two of them. With football he screwed up the one he made the decision on. His relationship with Marrone was not great and contributed to the early departure.

He was deeply involved in the whole Fab Melo mess.

Q was a good hire. He gave Gary Gait a nice payday.

Soccer and track improved immensely. He did okay on the non brand stuff. On what the Dept. is measured on he was a C- at best.

One thing on football is that he did help turn around the facilities issues. Scrapping track at the Dome and putting in field turf was an immediate correction of one issue that dominated negative recruiting. Unfortunately his head coach choice created a new negative recruiting problem.

If we beat Temple and were headed to the Fiesta Bowl, P doesn't get fired beforehand.

I realize that and he probably gets extended in that scenario. SU royally screwed up by not doing the AD switch either the prior summer or the next summer.

I realize that and he probably gets extended in that scenario. SU royally screwed up by not doing the AD switch either the prior summer or the next summer.
Jake C said he would quit if the Big East 16 team hybrid happened.
When it happened he quit. If he could have waited one year it all would have been different.

Too bad the team didn’t know about “Ding Dong Ditch”. They could have kidnapped P and dropped him off on on some AD’s front porch and ring the door bell

Merry Christmas everyone

If that is the case, there really wasn't much of a decision. The question is why? Was it an atmosphere created by P? Were players and coaches down because of the slide they had experienced since 2001?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom