Who else was considered... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who else was considered...

Yep. Early on there was some interest and holtz met with gross informally

I have to correct my memory. Holtz was interested in SU after we fired Grob not after P.

I have to correct my memory. Holtz was interested in SU after we fired Grob not after P.
Skip Holtz turned down the job and at that point the committee advising Gross took over the search and they chose Marrone. Gross didn’t want Marrone but it was forced on him after GRob and him losing Holtz.
Gross was a good AD but bad at selecting HCs. He was lucky Holtz declined.

In hindsight, it seems like mr two phones shouldve said, “what do i think is the right move” and then do the opposite. Svyerud and wildhack are lightyears better than cantor and gross.

Skip Holtz turned down the job and at that point the committee advising Gross took over the search and they chose Marrone. Gross didn’t want Marrone but it was forced on him after GRob and him losing Holtz.
Gross was a good AD but bad at selecting HCs. He was lucky Holtz declined.

Gross was not a good ad.

Dr Gross did some good things and was a very nice guy. But that has to be the worst list of finalists for a major coaching position ever.

GRob was arguably the worst hire in the history of college athletics.

Donnie Henderson is the DC for something called the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance for American football. That is his first DC job since 2006.

Tim Lewis got fired from the Giants and never held a DC position again. Finally got a HC position this year, with the Birmingham Iron, also of the Alliance for American football. I have never heard of this alliance before.

Jerry Gray was fired as the Packers DC, and has spent the years since coaching DBs, except for a 3 year block as DC of the Titans.

You would think that with his love of flash, Daryl would have gone after an offensive oriented HC. The success with Carroll robbed him of any reason.

The process that ended up with Carroll becoming the HC at USC BTW was a series of bad moves and missteps. He was at best their 4th choice, probably considerably lower than that.

For Pete's Sake, USC, Why Did You Do It?
The Making of Pete Carroll :: The man at the helm of USC's streak finds a home in L.A.
USC Hires Carroll

Isn't the Alliance for American Football where Dave Boller went? It actually could be interesting

Bees, you were close to the situation in 04. If Syracuse had beaten Temple and gotten into the Fiesta bowl that year what would have they done with P at that point? What was his contract. They couldn't fire him, right? I would think the wormhole of "what ifs" becomes very fascinating if the demise of P occurred in say 07-08 when guys like Chip Kelly, Jim Harbough became hot commodities.

Bees, you were close to the situation in 04. If Syracuse had beaten Temple and gotten into the Fiesta bowl that year what would have they done with P at that point? What was his contract. They couldn't fire him, right? I would think the wormhole of "what ifs" becomes very fascinating if the demise of P occurred in say 07-08 when guys like Chip Kelly, Jim Harbough became hot commodities.

Coach P had one year left on his contract.

We would have faced Urban Meyer's Utah squad in the Fiesta Bowl, and they probably would have hung 50 on us anyways.

IMO Coach P would have coached in 2005, and depending on how the season went, he may or may not have been extended after that.

Of the three major brands he didn't really touch two of them. With football he screwed up the one he made the decision on. His relationship with Marrone was not great and contributed to the early departure.

He was deeply involved in the whole Fab Melo mess.

Q was a good hire. He gave Gary Gait a nice payday.

Soccer and track improved immensely. He did okay on the non brand stuff. On what the Dept. is measured on he was a C- at best.

Dr Gross did some good things and was a very nice guy. But that has to be the worst list of finalists for a major coaching position ever.

GRob was arguably the worst hire in the history of college athletics.

Donnie Henderson is the DC for something called the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance for American football. That is his first DC job since 2006.

Tim Lewis got fired from the Giants and never held a DC position again. Finally got a HC position this year, with the Birmingham Iron, also of the Alliance for American football. I have never heard of this alliance before.

Jerry Gray was fired as the Packers DC, and has spent the years since coaching DBs, except for a 3 year block as DC of the Titans.

You would think that with his love of flash, Daryl would have gone after an offensive oriented HC. The success with Carroll robbed him of any reason.

The process that ended up with Carroll becoming the HC at USC BTW was a series of bad moves and missteps. He was at best their 4th choice, probably considerably lower than that.

For Pete's Sake, USC, Why Did You Do It?
The Making of Pete Carroll :: The man at the helm of USC's streak finds a home in L.A.
USC Hires Carroll

The alliance has gotten a ton of huge names. Including our own Dave Boller.

Key Syracuse football talent evaluator leaving to be GM of AAF's San Diego franchise

All of the coaches are HUGE names. Execs include Dick Ebersol, Bill Polian and a ton of former players. Mike Vick is an offensivce coordinator i believe. The QB's are all legit.

It seems to be the new wave of minor leagues.

Norm chow was such a hot commodity there for a minute... i recall so many gd norm chow posts

Your right I forgot all about him, he was a HOT name and if not mistake Ed "100 Handshake" Orgerons name was also tossed around for one of the openings either before or after GROB

Your right I forgot all about him, he was a HOT name and if not mistake Ed "100 Handshake" Orgerons name was also tossed around for one of the openings either before or after GROB
Didn’t Orgeron lobby for the job?

I work with a player who was on the team as the transition from P to Grob happened. He said the players were all hoping Skip Holtz would get an interview, and that none of them felt good about Grob. He said the chaos that went on behind the scenes during the Grob era deserves a 30 for 30.

I work with a player who was on the team as the transition from P to Grob happened. He said the players were all hoping Skip Holtz would get an interview, and that none of them felt good about Grob. He said the chaos that went on behind the scenes during the Grob era deserves a 30 for 30.

Not sure that can be true. Holtz interest came after Grob when we eventually hired Marrone. Never heard holtz mentioned when p got fired. When p was fired, holtz was an asst at S Carolina. Why would his name even come up with SU players?

Fixed.

Overall, to say he was not a good AD in incorrect, IMO.

I disagree, he overspent on coaches in non revenue sports, enabled violations, self reported... people credit him for acc but that wouldve happened anyways.

I disagree, he overspent on coaches in non revenue sports, enabled violations, self reported... people credit him for acc but that wouldve happened anyways.
I guess we'll agree to disagree, then.

We've got a great coach, it's almost Christmas and the New Year and you guys have to talk about the GROB car crash? You're bringing me down.

Talk like this makes us appreciate what we have with HCDB, we needed some filler between now and Tuesday, lol

I mean we can only talk about how bad we are going to beat West Virginia so much!

Not sure that can be true. Holtz interest came after Grob when we eventually hired Marrone. Never heard holtz mentioned when p got fired. When p was fired, holtz was an asst at S Carolina. Why would his name even come up with SU players?
I could have the name wrong that he mentioned. I thought it was Holtz. I just remember him telling me there was 1 candidate that was a possibility that everyone was giddy about, and that person was never even considered by the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom