who is responsible for the poor OL play? | Syracusefan.com

who is responsible for the poor OL play?

kcsu

Living Legend
Question. With four returning starters we were supposed to have one of the top OL's in the league. Who is to blame for the total collapse of this unit? Doug? The only change was Doug starting Mac. Doug spent a huge amount of time with this unit. Is it his zone blocking scheme? Who knows but the one unit on either side of the ball with the most experiance was the biggest reason for our failure and our head coach spends more time with this unit than any other. Ok let me have it. Im sure that it has to be the talent...

Question. With four returning starters we were supposed to have one of the top OL's in the league. Who is to blame for the total collapse of this unit? Doug? The only change was Doug starting Mac. Doug spent a huge amount of time with this unit. Is it his zone blocking scheme? Who knows but the one unit on either side of the ball with the most experiance was the biggest reason for our failure and our head coach spends more time with this unit than any other. Ok let me have it. Im sure that it has to be the talent...

Well, Tiller is at best average. Hay, Chibane and Macky are D2 players. So, talent is a real issue. But, the coaches are supposed to recruit better talent.

The offense this year scored more points, gave up less sacks, gained more yards and passed for more yards than last years offense...All of which the OL plays a part in...So I don't see how adding Macky destroyed the OL from last year.

We rushed for less yards than last year..I attribute that to how good Carter was last year and having a pretty good second back in Bailey.

Did Macky beat up one of your kids and steal his lunch money??? You sure seem to like hammering on the least of our offensive line problems. Just curious as to your motivation.

The offense this year scored more points, gave up less sacks, gained more yards and passed for more yards than last years offense...All of which the OL plays a part in...So I don't see how adding Macky destroyed the OL from last year.

We rushed for less yards than last year..I attribute that to how good Carter was last year and having a pretty good second back in Bailey.

Did Macky beat up one of your kids and steal his lunch money??? You sure seem to like hammering on the least of our offensive line problems. Just curious as to your motivation.
My problem with Macky is simple. He isnt a very good D1 center. My second problem with Macky is that Doug has painted himself into a corner on Mack because of this Grandfather. If Trudo doesnt start next year in place of Mack than im pretty sure Doug is playing favorites which is a huge problem. I truly wish that mack would have gone D2 or Ivy as he is a really nice kid with great smarts. He just doesnt have the size and strength needed to play center at this level.

I think the argument is that there are bigger fish to fry on the line than Macky. He has proven to be servicable. Players like Trudo (Guard in HS) could be used to fill far greater holes then Macky. OL has been an achilles heel for a long time and Macky is far from the worst lineman we have had. We will see how much he invests in the offseason in getting better/training. Knowing what we know about him, I am sure he is going to be busting his butt. Although, we know nothing about how good any of the redshirted OL are outside of a few practice reports and what the coaches say. Let me first say I highly doubt it, but Trudo could be a bum with no skills. We just don't know. That being said, I think Trudo is going to have a good career here at SU, and I look forward to the competition in spring ball. Hopefully I can make it to more practices.

Trudo replacing Hay > Trudo replacing Macky

Maybe Dougie is playing favorites. Maybe not...great thing is we will find out in the spring

Maybe Macky was the only one even close to being able to play this year. I'd rather they let Trudo, Alexander, Foy and Christof RS than burn a year on them ALA Ameen-Moore for this crappy year.

Allport was hurt, Lepak ..meh no comment...

Chibane was brutal this year

And the swinging gate, personal foul machine at right tackle was just difficult to watch

I think the argument is that there are bigger fish to fry on the line than Macky. He has proven to be servicable. Players like Trudo (Guard in HS) could be used to fill far greater holes then Macky. OL has been an achilles heel for a long time and Macky is far from the worst lineman we have had. We will see how much he invests in the offseason in getting better/training. Knowing what we know about him, I am sure he is going to be busting his butt. Although, we know nothing about how good any of the redshirted OL are outside of a few practice reports and what the coaches say. Let me first say I highly doubt it, but Trudo could be a bum with no skills. We just don't know. That being said, I think Trudo is going to have a good career here at SU, and I look forward to the competition in spring ball. Hopefully I can make it to more practices.

Trudo replacing Hay > Trudo replacing Macky
When a unit regresses at the level the OL did this year and the only new part is Mack... In addition i have watched each game twice and spent time looking at our OL. Mack is ok when we are in motion because of his speed. He gets destroyed when we try and play power football. I cant begin to tell you how many times he is simply blown up. Man on Man he just doesnt have the size and strength. The fact that he is young helps as he may be able to add size and strength but seeing him in person compared to our other OL players and i have my doubt as his frame is just too small.

When a unit regresses at the level the OL did this year and the only new part is Mack... In addition i have watched each game twice and spent time looking at our OL. Mack is ok when we are in motion because of his speed. He gets destroyed when we try and play power football. I cant begin to tell you how many times he is simply blown up. Man on Man he just doesnt have the size and strength. The fact that he is young helps as he may be able to add size and strength but seeing him in person compared to our other OL players and i have my doubt as his frame is just too small.

I think Macky is a great kid and bleeds orange blood, but I would also love to see a larger center. I also think it is going to be tough for him to add bulk. I don't disagree with you there. What Macky has going for him is he knows football and knows it well (high football IQ). Kid is going to be a coach one day I am sure.

I do think we have had greater problems in the OL then Macky. I think the major problem this year was the same as last year. I am very greatful for those who have played here and tried there best, but we can both agree we have a long ways to go in upgrading our talent at the OL. I do think we have made a great start. Also, Bailey by no means was the back that Carter was. We showed something yesterday when we had a power runner who was willing to go north and south and hit the hole hard.

DM was clear that he likes to cross-train kids at different postions. The question is if Trudo is needed more elsewhere on the line or is it at C. Macky is servicable there, will we have another swinging door player that needs to be replaced by a door stop? Can Macky add the weight? Who else is going to step up? It will be fun to see in spring/summer.

That being said, if Macky starts next year; I don't think it is because of DM being a Homer. I think that was the focus of the orginal post.

I think Macky is a great kid and bleeds orange blood, but I would also love to see a larger center. I also think it is going to be tough for him to add bulk. I don't disagree with you there. What Macky has going for him is he knows football and knows it well (high football IQ). Kid is going to be a coach one day I am sure.

I do think we have had greater problems in the OL then Macky. I think the major problem this year was the same as last year. I am very greatful for those who have played here and tried there best, but we can both agree we have a long ways to go in upgrading our talent at the OL. I do think we have made a great start. Also, Bailey by no means was the back that Carter was. We showed something yesterday when we had a power runner who was willing to go north and south and hit the hole hard.

DM was clear that he likes to cross-train kids at different postions. The question is if Trudo is needed more elsewhere on the line or is it at C. Macky is servicable there, will we have another swinging door player that needs to be replaced by a door stop? Can Macky add the weight? Who else is going to step up? It will be fun to see in spring/summer.

That being said, if Macky starts next year; I don't think it is because of DM being a Homer. I think that was the focus of the orginal post.
Good post i would think that between Trudo, Hickey, Alexander, Robinson we should be in good position to upgrade. Most really good OL's are led by really good centers. I have always loved tough guy centers as i think they set the tone for the entire line.

We forget Mackey has a redshirt year. I'd like to see him sit next year to grow and continue to develop physically. That is considering we will have someone serviceable to replace him as well as a backup.

C'mon.

Were you at the game yesterday?

By the end the OL was consistently and affirmatively moving the Pitt DL off the ball.

The loss was not due to the OL.

It was due to too many turnovers.

C'mon.

By the end the OL was consistently and affirmatively moving the Pitt DL off the ball.

How many yards and 1st Downs has the Offensive line Cost this Team with False Starts and Personel Fouls.
Think of Michael Hay the last 2 years. At least 3 turnovers were caused by the offensive Line .:rolleyes:

C'mon.

h
Orange did you watch the game? If so please focus on the OL next time

team/Penalty yards against SU/TO's
WF 76 1
RI 78 2
USC 65 1
UT 29 1
RU 70 5
TU 40 0
WV 25 0