Who is the 2nd greatest PG ever? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the 2nd greatest PG ever?

If I had to pick one guy to run my offense, at his peak (which I don't believe we've seen yet), it would be LeBron. No, he's not a point guard, but he orchestrates an offense beautifully. Maybe I'd choose the Big O, but I never saw him play, and I don't like to comment on guys I've never seen play.

If (and more likely, when) LeBron gets his second ring, I would put him on my all time first team, along with Magic, Michael, Duncan and Russell.

I think he is going to end up with 5 or 6 MVPs and probably 3 or 4 rings.

If (and more likely, when) LeBron gets his second ring, I would put him on my all time first team, along with Magic, Michael, Duncan and Russell.

I'm not sure I even need the ring to put him there. His game is unprecedented...but I don't think MIA can win multiple titles as currently built. Bosh isn't tough enough and Wade isn't going to hold up.

no wilt?

I think you have all overlooked someone...me!!!

Big O for me without a doubt. I was fortunate to see him play in college several times. He was the first player I ever saw who could completely take over a game almost by himself.
A story is told that he was traded, when Cousy was coaching his NBA team, because Oscar was getting more PR than Cousy.
I can't argue that LeBron running a team wouldn't be able to do some of the same things. 'Certainly stronger than Oscar, but where LBJ can be a tank, Oscar was a Ferrari.

The Big O was LeBron James before LeBron was.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The Big O and I don't think it's even close. He had 181 triple doubles. Magic had 138. In 1962 Robertson averaged a triple double with 31 points 13 rebounds and 11 assists per game.
Absolutely right.
In this case the numbers speak for themselves.
The only thing that might mitigate Oscar's extraordinary accomplishments is that he was so much bigger than most guards of his era.
He was 6-5 & 220 lbs...when a guard was considered "tall" at maybe 6-2.

no wilt?

Wilt wouldn't even be my second team center. That would be Kareem. Wilt had all the tools in the world and didn't win enough to justify a higher ranking. This isn't baseball. Someone at that level, with all the tools to be considered the best player that ever lived, needs to win more rings than he did.

Let me put it this way:

Wilt: 2x NBA champion, 4 time MVP
Kareem: 6x NBA champion, 6x MVP
Russell: 11x NBA champion, 4x MVP

I know this is cherry-picking stats, but for the NBA, where one person can so dominate, these two achievements are of utmost importance.

For someone who some consider to be the greatest of all time, he is at the title / mvp threshold that LBJ can hit THIS year if he duplicates last season's achievements.

My overall top 3 are MJ, Russell and then Kareem. Those three, imo, are the only ones that can be argued for greatest player of all time and the only other person with a shot would be LBJ depending on how his career finishes.

I'm not sure I even need the ring to put him there. His game is unprecedented...but I don't think MIA can win multiple titles as currently built. Bosh isn't tough enough and Wade isn't going to hold up.

I would argue that Bosh is more important to the Heat than Wade. He can space the floor with bigs and hit medium range jump shots which works better with LeBron.

I do agree that Wade is going to continue to get dinged up.

Or Kareem?

Kareem is my overall number 3, but he is my second center behind Russell (who I have ranked 2).

MJ is my number one.

I think they are the only three you can argue to be the greatest of all time.

Kareem is my overall number 3, but he is my second center behind Russell (who I have ranked 2).

MJ is my number one.

I think they are the only three you can argue to be the greatest of all time.

I think that is exactly how Simmons had it, for whatever thats worth. (nothing?)

Kareem's longevity is mind boggling. Even at old as 38 he averaged 23 points per game. (In only 33 minutes a game!) I might put him ahead of Russell. Russell was on the shorter side for a 5 and retired at age 34. I know if i'm drafting Kareem I get a HOF anchor for 16-18 years. Then again Russell won every year...

I think that is exactly how Simmons had it, for whatever thats worth. (nothing?)

Kareem's longevity is mind boggling. Even at old as 38 he averaged 23 points per game. (In only 33 minutes a game!) I might put him ahead of Russell. Russell was on the shorter side for a 5 and retired at age 34. I know if i'm drafting Kareem I get a HOF anchor for 16-18 years. Then again Russell won every year...

Kareem's career, starting in HS, is absolutely amazing. I think you can make a case that he could be the best of all time and I think more people would have that thought if he had a better relationship with fans, media, etc.

Him doing yoga to stay in shape during that time period is absolutely amazing and obviously worked.

Has anyone ever been a better passer out of a double team than LeBron? The play to seal the game last night was a good example. He just waits to crush your soul with a pass, and if you don't double..he's going to the rim.

Lebron James is a coward.

One of my all time fave threads. That was internet gold

Worst/best thread in history. It's amazing what people can/will do irrationally when blinded by unwarranted hate.

First off, Shaq was the probably the 4th best Laker center behind Kareem, Wilt and Mikan (only one I never saw play). Secondly I think the only players that can be considered for great of all-time are MJ and Oscar. I saw many of the greats play as I attended many NBA games in the 70's; Jabbar, Robertson, Frazier, Monroe, Wilt, West, Barry, Hayes. I only saw MJ, Magic, Worthy, Olajuwan, Drexler, Robinson as college players as they came through the Dome. Saw Bird and Isaiah play in the Gahden. Hands down the "best" player I ever saw play the game was Pete Maravich. I know he didn't have the career the others did so I'm not trying to make that argument, but the boy could play. I think you could conservatively add 8-10 points per game to his career totals if they'd had a 3 point line at the beginning of his career. In college he averaged 44.2 points per game for 3 seasons (also averaged 43.6 his freshman season which was not varsity) .

I think you could conservatively add 8-10 points per game to his career totals if they'd had a 3 point line at the beginning of his career. In college he averaged 44.2 points per game for 3 seasons (also averaged 43.6 his freshman season which was not varsity) .

I know this has been debated before but there's no way anyone is going to average 8-10 3's per game. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me. JJ Redick was one of the more prolific 3 point shooters in college history; he made about 3.2 per game. I understand Pistol had the green light to shoot but I dont buy it

I know this has been debated before but there's no way anyone is going to average 8-10 3's per game. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me. JJ Redick was one of the more prolific 3 point shooters in college history; he made about 3.2 per game. I understand Pistol had the green light to shoot but I dont buy it
Slow down Knicks fan...I said 8-10 POINTS per game, not 3's. Using JJ's #'s of 3.2 per game times 3 points that is 9.6 points per game that JJ averaged on 3's...hmmm. Does that smell better? ;)