Who is the 2nd greatest PG ever? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the 2nd greatest PG ever?

It's amazing what people can/will do irrationally when blinded by unwarranted hate.

Says " There's really not much to teach in zone" guy.

Your shtick sucks.

Maravich was a completely unique player. He could shoot. He could finish and boy could he pass. He could just do crazy on the court. Wonder what his pro career would have looked like on a quality team in a major media market.

First off, Shaq was the probably the 4th best Laker center behind Kareem, Wilt and Mikan (only one I never saw play). Secondly I think the only players that can be considered for great of all-time are MJ and Oscar. I saw many of the greats play as I attended many NBA games in the 70's; Jabbar, Robertson, Frazier, Monroe, Wilt, West, Barry, Hayes. I only saw MJ, Magic, Worthy, Olajuwan, Drexler, Robinson as college players as they came through the Dome. Saw Bird and Isaiah play in the Gahden. Hands down the "best" player I ever saw play the game was Pete Maravich. I know he didn't have the career the others did so I'm not trying to make that argument, but the boy could play. I think you could conservatively add 8-10 points per game to his career totals if they'd had a 3 point line at the beginning of his career. In college he averaged 44.2 points per game for 3 seasons (also averaged 43.6 his freshman season which was not varsity) .

Says " There's really not much to teach in zone" guy.

Your shtick sucks.

It was relevant to the discussion at hand. IMO there is not much to teach with defense, regardless the style. Is there more than man? Probably. But defense is about buying into whatever style a coach chooses to play, and displaying 110% effort very possession. These kids played zone and man and 1-3-1 presses and triangle twos etc etc at some point in their basketball career. What do they all have in common? They require effort.

Sorry you felt the need to come out of the mud to take a jab at me. Let's talk basketball. I'd love to educate you.

Slow down Knicks fan...I said 8-10 POINTS per game, not 3's. Using JJ's #'s of 3.2 per game times 3 points that is 9.6 points per game that JJ averaged on 3's...hmmm. Does that smell better? ;)

Right but that doesn't make sense. Are you saying Pistol would have taken even more shots if there were a 3 point line?

Those 3's you're giving him aren't coming out of nowhere; they are coming from his field goals, which are worth 2 points already. In college he made 17 field goals per game and 11 foul shots (rounding up on both) for 45 points per game. If you give him 3 3 pointers a game, then he makes 14 2 pointers (28 points), 11 free throws (11 pts) and 3 3's (9 points) for a total of 48 points, or 3 additional points.

Like I said, unless you're saying he's going to shoot even more with the 3 point line, then it doesn't add up.

The only active point guard I'd rather have ahead of Rondo is a 100% healthy Derrick Rose.

Saw Oscar Robertson play. The other guys are not even close. Was a man among boys in his time. Not sure if Jerry West would be considered a point guard, but he was pretty special too.

First off, Shaq was the probably the 4th best Laker center behind Kareem, Wilt and Mikan (only one I never saw play). Secondly I think the only players that can be considered for great of all-time are MJ and Oscar. I saw many of the greats play as I attended many NBA games in the 70's; Jabbar, Robertson, Frazier, Monroe, Wilt, West, Barry, Hayes. I only saw MJ, Magic, Worthy, Olajuwan, Drexler, Robinson as college players as they came through the Dome. Saw Bird and Isaiah play in the Gahden. Hands down the "best" player I ever saw play the game was Pete Maravich. I know he didn't have the career the others did so I'm not trying to make that argument, but the boy could play. I think you could conservatively add 8-10 points per game to his career totals if they'd had a 3 point line at the beginning of his career. In college he averaged 44.2 points per game for 3 seasons (also averaged 43.6 his freshman season which was not varsity) .

Not sure how Mikan comes ahead of Shaq. Probably none of us have seen him play, but...c'mon. I know the game was a lot different, but he shot 40% from the field in his career, and was 6'10 245.

At his peak, Shaq dominated... in a much more advanced and competitive era.

I know this has been debated before but there's no way anyone is going to average 8-10 3's per game. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me. JJ Redick was one of the more prolific 3 point shooters in college history; he made about 3.2 per game. I understand Pistol had the green light to shoot but I dont buy it

All due respect, but JJ Redick shouldn't be mentioned in the same galaxy as Pistol Pete, who was one of the best shooters, passers, and ball-handler's in basketball history.
Redick was a one-dimensional player who's had to develop a more well-rounded game just to stick as a journeyman in the pros.
I remember a Pistol Pete commercial in the 70's where he dribbled and twirled the ball on his finger (first time I'd seen that as a kid), and the man was a magician.
JJ Redick...seriously?
OHDAMNLOL.gif

Saw Oscar Robertson play. The other guys are not even close. Was a man among boys in his time. Not sure if Jerry West would be considered a point guard, but he was pretty special too.
I was thinking the same thing when I said Oscar was my choice. Zeke from Cabin Creek was one special player as well. It's no accident that the NBA player profile icon is of Jerry West.

All due respect, but JJ Redick shouldn't be mentioned in the same galaxy as Pistol Pete, who was one of the best shooters, passers, and ball-handler's in basketball history.
Redick was a one-dimensional player who's had to develop a more well-rounded game just to stick as a journeyman in the pros.
I remember a Pistol Pete commercial in the 70's where he dribbled and twirled the ball on his finger (first time I'd seen that as a kid), and the man was a magician.
JJ Redick...seriously?
View attachment 1697

My point was just in trying to estimate how many 3's per game Pistol could make. Maravich is obviously a better player than Redick by a mile.

For me, it's John Stockton. I think he's the best pure point guard to ever play the game.

Clyde Frazier was my favorite guy growing up. Assists, defense and great shooter. At one point held the record for guards for career FG %.

The Big O and I don't think it's even close. He had 181 triple doubles. Magic had 138. In 1962 Robertson averaged a triple double with 31 points 13 rebounds and 11 assists per game.

Statistically, Magic + Michael = The Big O.

I think that is exactly how Simmons had it, for whatever thats worth. (nothing?)

Kareem's longevity is mind boggling. Even at old as 38 he averaged 23 points per game. (In only 33 minutes a game!) I might put him ahead of Russell. Russell was on the shorter side for a 5 and retired at age 34. I know if i'm drafting Kareem I get a HOF anchor for 16-18 years. Then again Russell won every year...
Russell the player was so good he enabled Russell the coach to win 2 championships.

I think there's a pretty good consensus amongst sports fans that Magic Johnson is the greatest PG of all-time. Who, in your opinion, is #2? Meaning, what guy in their prime would you want running your offense if Magic wasn't available, all other things being equal.

John Stockton? Bob Cousy? Oscar Robertson? Jason Kidd? Steve Nash? Rajon Rondo? Isiah Thomas? Gary Payton? Someone else?
Jumping in on this late...but a good question. I always answer these in terms of the best I ever saw, which excludes Cousy and Oscar. So...the 2nd best PG I ever saw...hmm... Nash no way - never even made it to a finals despite playing with great teammates - prime Dirk, Amare before he hurt his knee, etc. Stockton...really great. Top 5 no doubt. But...not sure I'd put him #2. I guess I'd go with Isiah. Two titles, three finals appearances, great #'s, clutch player. People could maybe argue he wasn't a pure point but I thought he struck a good balance between playmaking and scoring when his team needed him to.