Who Plays Third Attack Spot? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who Plays Third Attack Spot?

What Is Best Option For The Third Attack Spot?

• Griffin Cook

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Brendan Curry

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Tucker Dordevic

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Owen Seebold/Other

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wondering how people see the man-up unit shaping up? Last year SU just went with their standard starting lineup, which I don't remember them ever doing before. They finished at 49% which is about what you are looking for, and much better than '18's 38%. Solomon led the unit with 7 man up goals, followed by Trimboli and Voigt with 6 each.

Four members of the unit return (Trimboli, Lipka, Rhefuss and Curry) and obviously I think it's a lock to say that Scanlan will fill one of the two open spots. Which leaves one spot open. I'd say the two leading candidates are Dordevic and Buttermore, but I wonder if it would be strange to have so many midfielders on a man-up unit?

Also, I think Scanlan would easily replace Solomon on the right hand side, but that leaves the left side wide open. Dordevic is a righty while I think Buttermore is a lefty. But again it feels like you'd want someone comfortable playing around GLE. Maybe this is an opportunity for Aburn or Donnely, or even Seebold (who I believe is a lefty, not really sure about the other two).

Lastly, with Dordevic coming back it obviously could get a little awkward as Lipka is also a returning starter. Unless he moves to attack Dordevic is likely taking Lipka's starting spot on the midfield. Does he also take his man-up spot too? Even before Dordevic got hurt, I thought Lipka could be a good addition to the man-up unit, but with that said, he didn't score a man-up goal last year. You could solve this problem by just replacing Voigt with Dordevic and keeping both happy, but I don't know if that would throw the balance of the unit off.

I highly doubt Lipka is going anywhere on man-up, despite not actually scoring any goals. He was on a unit of 6 that was third best in the nation and I doubt Desko will get rid of any of the guys who contributed to that. I like the idea of Buttermore getting involved since we will need a guy who can shoot lefty to replace Voigt. Also if they rotate around and he ends up as the guy with the open shot from 12+ yards out we know he can take care of business from there with either hand (gotta love the Buttermore). Not sure he can mimic voigts ability to finish at low angles/in tight spaces. Owen Hill is a lefty I believe and has the box background. Maybe he is also considered for man up.

Scanlan replacing Solomon on the other hand seems like a perfectly obvious choice and we can almost guarantee that will be what happens next year.

Losing Voigt will be tough but you would anticipate his replacement will be a better overall attackmen. As good as Voigt was last year his complete inability to dodge was a liability in some games. Wont be able to replicate his finishing ability but it will be a lot harder to double pole the midfield now

Always respect your vantages but gonna disagree here JC

Voigt's talents are in the MLL doing his thing so no, Im not anticipating our 3rd attackman this year being a better overall player or having a better overall impact .

There is dodging and then there is continual movement with purpose by a dangerous shooter that influences. The first gets mention plenty as a limitation, the second doesn't. (For the record, he played hurt from 1q on in Loyola game that greatly restricted his movement) .

We continue to underestimate what BV brought. Putting aside accurate shot and creativity, it was his continual movement, great hands in traffic, quickness of release and underrated passing .D's couldn't give him a inch of space of open space without paying a price and that affects defenses in several ways . What also wont be replaced this year is his developed synergy with Refhuss

Appreciated Solomon but Scanlan should replace. Replacing Voigt's impact will be more difficult

Wondering how people see the man-up unit shaping up? Last year SU just went with their standard starting lineup, which I don't remember them ever doing before. They finished at 49% which is about what you are looking for, and much better than '18's 38%. Solomon led the unit with 7 man up goals, followed by Trimboli and Voigt with 6 each.

Four members of the unit return (Trimboli, Lipka, Rhefuss and Curry) and obviously I think it's a lock to say that Scanlan will fill one of the two open spots. Which leaves one spot open. I'd say the two leading candidates are Dordevic and Buttermore, but I wonder if it would be strange to have so many midfielders on a man-up unit?

Also, I think Scanlan would easily replace Solomon on the right hand side, but that leaves the left side wide open. Dordevic is a righty while I think Buttermore is a lefty. But again it feels like you'd want someone comfortable playing around GLE. Maybe this is an opportunity for Aburn or Donnely, or even Seebold (who I believe is a lefty, not really sure about the other two).

Lastly, with Dordevic coming back it obviously could get a little awkward as Lipka is also a returning starter. Unless he moves to attack Dordevic is likely taking Lipka's starting spot on the midfield. Does he also take his man-up spot too? Even before Dordevic got hurt, I thought Lipka could be a good addition to the man-up unit, but with that said, he didn't score a man-up goal last year. You could solve this problem by just replacing Voigt with Dordevic and keeping both happy, but I don't know if that would throw the balance of the unit off.
Ill add Quin for consideration since he has a cannon in space from up top. Kim also can rip

Solomon was great on man up and so was Scanlan for Loyola so that's a natural.

Not sure if Desko juggles and carves out roles but Aburn is opportunistic around gle and has good hands and passing skills as well to move ball

I wonder if shooting percentages matter in determining man up lineup. Curry and Lipka can't hit the broad side of a barn more than about 30% of the time. I don't think both should wind up on the EMO.

I wonder if shooting percentages matter in determining man up lineup. Curry and Lipka can't hit the broad side of a barn more than about 30% of the time. I don't think both should wind up on the EMO.

I would agree with you if the unit wasn't so effective as a whole. Despite their known struggles with shooting percentage the man up unit was third best in the nation last year. Clearly the two of them are doing something right when it counts, whether that's good ball movement, knowing how to attack a man down defense, good chemistry, etc. Overall I think Buttermore is a better shooter than both of them but something was clearly clicking with the unit last year and you know what they say about something that ain't broke.

I would agree with you if the unit wasn't so effective as a whole. Despite their known struggles with shooting percentage the man up unit was third best in the nation last year. Clearly the two of them are doing something right when it counts, whether that's good ball movement, knowing how to attack a man down defense, good chemistry, etc. Overall I think Buttermore is a better shooter than both of them but something was clearly clicking with the unit last year and you know what they say about something that ain't broke.

Sorry, I should have pointed out that man-up assists aren't a stat that is tracked (at least by SU) and I think Lipka is a pretty good passer, as evidenced by his 10 helpers last year. Rhefuss has only 2 man-up goal in the past two years, but I imagine he contributed a number of man-up assists. Even though I brought it up, I think I have to side with Lexus and say keeping Lipka on the unit is a good idea.

Sorry, I should have pointed out that man-up assists aren't a stat that is tracked (at least by SU) and I think Lipka is a pretty good passer, as evidenced by his 10 helpers last year. Rhefuss has only 2 man-up goal in the past two years, but I imagine he contributed a number of man-up assists. Even though I brought it up, I think I have to side with Lexus and say keeping Lipka on the unit is a good idea.
Usually SU has 1 or 2 lefties on the field for man up. Last year and the year before it was Rehfuss and Voigt. Some years they have 3 lefties on man up. With Voigt gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lefty slide in to replace him. I could see a formation (the moves as the ball and MDD moves) like this:

Dordevic Goal Rehfuss

Trimboli Scanlan Buttermore

Curry

Edit: Sorry the placement of the players didn't come through i my post, but you can imagine Curry top center with Buttermore and Trimboli on the wings, Scanlan on the crease or lower righty spot, Rehfuss at the lower lefty spot.

I think from a man-up perspective they are going to be excellent. No shortage of guys that can light it up out top. Expect Curry, Trimboli and Buttermore, with Rehfuss, Scanlan (probably on crease rotating out down to GLE when they rotate) and mix in the 3rd attack or maybe another lefty.

The man up play that Desko developed back when he was an assistant, the rotating triangles, that bad boy is timeless and almost always results in looks as long as you don't turn the ball over. When I coached at Broome CC that was our "Omaha" when our main plays broke down, or for any penalty over 30 seconds it would be what we ran after the initial set or two. Worked great.

As for the 3rd attack spot, I only covered the two most obvious choices. I think Cook and Dordevic are the two top options based on their past experience.

I also ate a lot of turds in the FanLax forum "because I didn't cover up and coming kids". Well no crap haha. This video was already 25 minutes long. I covered the guys that have the best chance of playing and that put up the most stats in 2020. I had to decide somehow who to talk about and who not to. I thank you all for not lighting me up quite so badly over here haha.

The reality with how Desko plays midfielders, the chance that more than 1 or 2 up and comers ever see the field is slim to none. 6 mids will eat 90% of the burn and a 4th attack may see a few minutes a game. On the defensive side it's shored up for the most part, but there are a couple of opportunities for guys to "play into time".

Fan of Lipka and aggressive players who press action .He can pass, dodge into the teeth of defenses and rip on the run with either hand, modest production but always a threat. . Maybe rosy view but not bothered by low sog% of he and Curry, both apply pressure and dont play catch with goalie. Shots can be wild at times but Cuse O best moments last year was when they were buzzing around and peppering. Bulk of misfires retained possessions. Believe Ryan Powell commented that he'd rather see difficult shots that went wide then higher sog% from more saveable shots

I would add about Curry's and Lipka's shooting % that both had scoring slumps. I believe that Lipka was "off" at the start of the season. Curry slumped during the middle. Remember Curry went 1-11 against Duke, his 10th shot rung off the crossbar and his 11th was the game winner in OT. The 2019 team had some issues, but EMO wasn't one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom