Who should start at RB? | Syracusefan.com

Who should start at RB?

Whichever back the coaching staff deems should start.

No offense to anyone in this thread, but they are both different, capable backs. Their roles might vary from game-to-game, but for anyone to suggest that one is going to start / play more meaningful time than the other is probably not making an accurate prediction.

I expect both to play--a lot.

Tell me what the first play is. They have different roles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

One game. I'd really to see them both in there at the same time but I think they will continue to alternate, making "who starts" basically irrelevant. We may see some Brolyd at running back as the season goes on and we'll surely see some of Ameen-Moore. Maybe they will try to reshirt Morris and McFarlane.

Seems to me that PTG fits this offense better. I am sure there wil be rb by committee but RTG might be the better feature back so to speak. I think he will wind up on top of the depth chart.

Technically, they both started against NW. Both were out there for the first offensive snap.

Watching the replay on tv I thought Smith looked better than I thought he did live. We are not going to get 95 plays vs USC so each possession is going to be more valuable or efficient. Hopefully one of them will step up and make some plays to help SU win.

Another thing to look at, which back is better at blocking? USC is a 180 degree turn from NW on defense and if SU does want to go to the air more often the better blocker or dump off guy might be the best choice. I hope the O-Line takes this challenge and pass and runs blocks well. They are the ones that will determine who our back will be.

PTG - I think the running game has a much better chance at balancing our attack if PTG is the starter...I realize it's a small sample size, but he has the big play ability and seemed more effective, let alone the mental mistakes/quit I saw in Smith - I want a RB who will finish EVERY play, and that may be enough to create the separation HCDM was looking for... and as other posts noted, you add any combination of smith, broyld, morris - depending on particular defenses -to that and I think it's a recipe for getting a worthwhile running game that you can mold to the matchups

Obviously, PTG is more dynamic than JS and it showed against NW. JS will do well against some of the BE teams that have bigger fronts. If PTG continues to show improvement, he might have 60+ receptions this year. I love Hack's use of the LOS screens, and it seems our blockers understand their roles in getting out in front during those plays.

With that being said, I'd like to see both PTG and JS start the game against USC. I think we need to keep USC's LBs true to the run, and hopefully catch them offguard on a few playactions.

I do NOT want to see Nassib running the ball as much.

I'd look at the USC films and see what type of back they had problems with, if any, and add that to the equation. We stuffed their starting back last year and struggled with their second guy.

Obviously, PTG is more dynamic than JS and it showed against NW. JS will do well against some of the BE teams that have bigger fronts. If PTG continues to show improvement, he might have 60+ receptions this year. I love Hack's use of the LOS screens, and it seems our blockers understand their roles in getting out in front during those plays.

With that being said, I'd like to see both PTG and JS start the game against USC. I think we need to keep USC's LBs true to the run, and hopefully catch them offguard on a few playactions.

I do NOT want to see Nassib running the ball as much.

Yeah, the USC D linemen with their ears pinned back would not be a good thing.

Nassib does have to keep them honest on the play fakes via running or play action but yes I agree, not too many runs unless of course he's getting a lot of yardage out of it. Ryan kind of looked like he had his shoes tied together on some of those runs. Having a tall Stevens to dump to might help as well, a little box out and catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom