Who was convinced they were gonna give gtown FTs at end of Reg? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who was convinced they were gonna give gtown FTs at end of Reg?

no it is when the ref thinks the foul happened, the arm is secondary to the whistle as well,

A good ref doesn't call a foul there, because he knows under a couple seconds there's "gotta be blood." It's bad game management to send a guy the length of the floor and give him a chance to score with under a second left, when he had his back to the basket 90 feet away, and no clear control of the ball. On the other hand, the ref may have known what he was doing, and blew the whistle after the clock went to zero just for "control."

no it is when the ref thinks the foul happened, the arm is secondary to the whistle as well,

the rulebook says the clock stops when the whistle blows.

clock stopping has nothing to do with when a foul has been committed except you cant commit a common foul after the whistle. and the arm up is just to help the clock people know that the whistle is blowing. all the arm waving stuff is just fluff, mostly for us fans.

clock stopping has nothing to do with when a foul has been committed except you cant commit a common foul after the whistle. and the arm up is just to help the clock people know that the whistle is blowing. all the arm waving stuff is just fluff, mostly for us fans.

You’ve list me. My single point was the actual foul occurred before the clock struck zero but it didn’t matter because the ref blew his whistle after the clock hit zero.

View attachment 117515

Would have been as bad as this one

But not as bad as this one:

"it" happens at the 9:15 mark of the clip. I didn't realize it was with 4.5 seconds left- i thought it was 1 second. It was Moten who called for the time out, despite what the announcer says. Indiana '87 was the hardest loss but this was a close second. They were the defending national champions.

Whatever happened to Michael Lloyd, anway?

I had to look it up:

I hope he enjoyed being on the USBL's 20th anniversary all-star team.
Michael Lloyd

Before that he played for the Auburn-Montgomery Warhawks, an NAIA team:
Michael Lloyd Player Profile, Auburn-Montgomery, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Game Logs, Awards - RealGM
At least, he was on their roster.

That was a strange SU team, one with a lot of potential and most of the players who played for the title the next season. Yet they only wound up 20-10. They lost their opener in Manley when the Dome was unavailable for some reason, (the game was played on a Wednesday night). We fell way behind a George Washington team that would wind up 18-14. Fans got up and left, which gave Dick Vitale an opportunity to castigate them, especially when Lloyd led a furious comeback to get the game into overtime, where we still lost. Manley Field House remained "closed".

We then won 14 games in a row, only to lose 9 of our last 15. The key was single digit games. After losing to GW, we won our next 7 single digit games, then lost the next 7 in a row. We beat Southern Illinois 96-92 in the first round of the NCAAs. Then came the Arkansas game, making us 8-9 in such games. We were a strong 12-6 in the conference but lost in the first round of the BET to Providence, in another OT game.

The strange behavior of Lawrence Moten in some games stands out. At Pittsburgh on January 14th, we had a 4 point lead with a second left. Pitt was in-bounding near mid-court. All we had to do was nothing. Moten fouled on a three point attempt. It was the only chance Pitt had: make the first two, miss the second and tip it in. They missed the tip in and we won 65-63. I have a vague memory of something similar happening at St. John's on March 1st, except we lost that game 78-82. I think he fouled on a three pointer in the final minute there. In the loss to providence, we had the ball for the last shot in regulation and Moten picked up his dribble and just held the ball frozen with Jim Boeheim, clearly in his vision, begging him to do something with it. The defender came up on him and the ref declared an turnover on the "closely guarded rule". Then he called the time-out we didn't have against Arkansas. JB said afterwards that the players had been reminded that we didn't have on in the time-out before that play. What a strange way to end a career for a player who lived on his basketball instincts.

Syracuse's 1994-95 team was on the verge of greatness (No. 15)

"it" happens at the 9:15 mark of the clip. I didn't realize it was with 4.5 seconds left- i thought it was 1 second. It was Moten who called for the time out, despite what the announcer says. Indiana '87 was the hardest loss but this was a close second. They were the defending national champions.

I remember that one well. I haven’t yet found a word that accurately describes that ending. It was beyond brutal.

Ugh, I was 10 years old and cried myself to sleep that night.

Ugh, I was 10 years old and cried myself to sleep that night.

That's when you know you're a fan.

"From the Mists of Time" was my account of my early days as an SU Hoops fan. On 12/29/66 we played #2 ranked Louisville in the Quaker City Classic in Philadelphia:

"But this SU basketball team was starting to become interesting as well. They didn’t have Bing but they were playing the same style of ball. They won their first five games by an average of 17 points, (there were no gimmies in those days- we didn’t have the clout to import “homecoming” teams), including an 86-63 win over Army, a team coached by a young Bobby Knight. After a loss to nationally ranked Boston College and a win over Manhattan, they went to Philadelphia for the prestigious Quaker City Classic. (Those 8 team Christmas tournaments were great things). After a win over hometown LaSalle, they took on the #2 team in the country, the Louisville Cardinals.

This was the game that got me hooked. Louisville had Wes Unseld at center and Butch Beard as well, giving them two All-America candidates. SU was a bunch of Dave Bing’s spear carriers. This was the first SU game I ever listened to on the radio. All I remember is the pattern of the game- the Cardinals would blow out to a big lead, 15-20 points and it would look like the Orange were going to get humiliated. But we would come back and get it within five or less, only to fall back again by double-figures. Just when it seemed hopeless, SU put on a final rush to get within 2 before losing 71-75. The excitement as they got closer and closer to a huge upset was overwhelming. Mom insisted I go to bed but I secreted a transistor radio under my pillow to hear the ending in the darkness. I cried myself to sleep. The next day I was still disappointed but I was more amazed and proud that this bunch could hang in there with such a team. They were “my” team now. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom