Who Will Be At MSG This Weekend? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who Will Be At MSG This Weekend?

On another note, appears weather could be a little dicey this weekend in NYC. Timing will be key. We shall see.

Can't be any dicier (??) than for our game in Feb 06 at MSG on a Sunday afternoon. The E train was not running from Jamaica so the few SJU fans that there are weren't even there. The Blarney was packed, though..

Can't be any dicier (??) than for our game in Feb 06 at MSG on a Sunday afternoon. The E train was not running from Jamaica so the few SJU fans that there are weren't even there. The Blarney was packed, though..

Remember it well. Possibly the first time in the history of American sports that weather problems caused the home team's fans to stay home while the visiting team's fans showed up in droves.

phillydad said:

Remember that well. Saw Billy Joel the night prior and stayed in the city. Otherwise not sure I would have made it back in for the game. Horrific storm.

Remember it well. Possibly the first time in the history of American sports that weather problems caused the home team's fans to stay home while the visiting team's fans showed up in droves.
The buses from Scranton got there just fine. The St John's fans ... didn't. Crazy weather day in NYC!

that was great.

there was about 4k people there, 3750 were Syracuse fans.

walked from 1st & 72nd as the 4, 5 & 6 werent running that day either.

on a personal note, had a blast when i got back to the UES as apparently everybody decided that the snow was a good reason to go to brunch and then stay out and get bombed.

that was great.

there was about 4k people there, 3750 were Syracuse fans.

walked from 1st & 72nd as the 4, 5 & 6 werent running that day either.

on a personal note, had a blast when i got back to the UES as apparently everybody decided that the snow was a good reason to go to brunch and then stay out and get bombed.

40-50 block walk in the snow? Impressive...I bet you were thirsty when you arrived at the Blarney.

Didn't think about this. What's the cell signal coverage at MSG? I can't quite remember, which makes me think it's okay for setting fantasy lineups at halftime

It is the reason I went to the BET every season. A truly magic elixir.

tomcat...I'm sorry for my ignorance, but does your famed ginger ale drink contain alcohol in it? I've been enjoying Captain and Gingers lately. Is the ginger ale you're referring to at the Blarney a mixed drink or is it just really tasty ginger ale? Here come the flames for these questions...:eek::noidea:

Last edited:
Didn't think about this. What's the cell signal coverage at MSG? I can't quite remember, which makes me think it's okay for setting fantasy lineups at halftime

Not sure but I got into a ridiculous argument with my wife last year at MSG during that dreaded Temple game. She was checking facebook or some sort of nonsense and I superstitiously blamed her for doing so during the game and igniting Temple's run against us.:crazy: My wife is a saint for putting up with my insanity. Anyway...I can't speak for the cell coverage but it had to be good enough for my wife last year.:)

Last edited:
tomcat...I'm sorry for my ignorance, but does your famed ginger ale drink contain alcohol in it? I've been enjoying Captain and Gingers lately. Is the ginger ale you're referring to at the Blarney a mixed drink or is it just really tasty ginger ale? Here come the flames for these questions...:eek::noidea:
It's just straight ginger ale. Although Tom might allow us to think it's just ginger ale and then he spikes it after he gets it!

LGO!!!! IM GOING TO BE THERE! Dad is coming up and we got third row seats from the court. So pumped and stoked that I don't have a game this weekend... What's blarney rock?

LGO!!!! IM GOING TO BE THERE! Dad is coming up and we got third row seats from the court. So pumped and stoked that I don't have a game this weekend... What's blarney rock?

Wow, that's like asking about one of the Wonders of the World. It's an SU-friendly dive bar near MSG, where SU fans go for pre and post-game. It gets very crowded, so get there early. I don't have the exact address, but someone will shortly. It's not to be confused with the Blarney Stone, that (used to be?) up the street from the Blarney Rock. Most people who can't get into the Blarney, head to Stout next year, which usually hosts the SU Alumni NYC chapter.

Last edited:

I believe he drinks his ginger ale on the rocks.

Blarney:

It's at 137 West 33rd (between 6th & 7th)...I doubt I'll be able to make the Blarney but it will be jam packed all morning with 'Cuse fans. The bar itself is a dive with a bathroom that is so small it barely contains a toilet but it does bring a huge Orange contingent.

In the days of my youth when Robert Plant was telling me what it is to be a man, the drinking age on the NYC Avenues was 21, on the Streets...16, if that.

The Blarney was the perfect 'street' bar, close to MSG, had cheap suds and a couple of grainy 24" tvs turned to the sporting event du jour. It catered to the working class man and young kids looking to get their drink on before concerts and games. It was nestled between a couple of peep shows and was the only pub on the street. In other words, it was perfect.

Over time as its legend grew and 33rd St became an 'Avenue', crowded and commercial...the blarney stuck to its guns and remained the quintessential dive bar (until it put that fancy rooftop bar in, but I digress).

The early bird still gets the worm, but now getting in the Blarney is a skill. Its like a 7' center knocking down a couple of 3s or a Syracuse guard making free throws, it doesn't happen very often...but when it does...it's majestic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom