Who Will Be At MSG This Weekend? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who Will Be At MSG This Weekend?

Wow, that's like asking about one of the Wonders of the World. It's an SU-friendly dive bar near MSG, where SU fans go for pre and post-game. It's gets very crowded, so get there early. I don't have the exact address, but someone will shortly. It's not to be confused with the Blarney Stone, that (used to be?) up the street from the Blarney Rock. Most people who can't get into the Blarney, head to Stout next year, which usually hosts the SU Alumni NYC chapter.
Not of age yet... smh... was hoping It was like a sports bar where I could still slip in and get a bite

KaiserUEO said:
In the days of my youth when Robert Plant was telling me what it is to be a man, the drinking age on the NYC Avenues was 21, on the Streets...16, if that. The Blarney was the perfect 'street' bar, close to MSG, had cheap suds and a couple of grainy 24" tvs turned to the sporting event du jour. It catered to the working class man and young kids looking to get their drink on before concerts and games. It was nestled between a couple of peep shows and was the only pub on the street. In other words, it was perfect. Over time as its legend grew and 33rd St became an 'Avenue', crowded and commercial...the blarney stuck to its guns and remained the quintessential dive bar (until it put that fancy rooftop bar in, but I digress). The early bird still gets the worm, but now getting in the Blarney is a skill. Its like a 7' center knocking down a couple of 3s or a Syracuse guard making free throws, it doesn't happen very often...but when it does...it's majestic.

Truly a special place. If i had a buck for every beer i have had there. Whoo.

Theres nothing like a lets go orange chant in the blarney rock

Not of age yet... smh... was hoping It was like a sports bar where I could still slip in and get a bite

When I was underage I used to go to Jack Dempsey's before the games. They never carded, though it might be a mob scene depending on what the soccer games are that morning.

Got tickets, but this damn storm is gonna be a problem for those commuting into the city. I got snowed out of going to this game in 07, hoping to avoid a repeat.

Go to Brother Jimmy's on 31st and 8th. Right next to the garden, they have a bar and you can grab a bite

I like Brother Jimmy's, underrated place. Tir Na Nog is a good irish bar...I think it's on like 34th beween 8th and 9th.

Got tickets, but this damn storm is gonna be a problem for those commuting into the city. I got snowed out of going to this game in 07, hoping to avoid a repeat.

I heard it was supposed to be fine on Sunday, unless you mean commuting from out of town on Saturday?

I heard it was supposed to be fine on Sunday, unless you mean commuting from out of town on Saturday?
How are you getting in? I was thinking of driving in, but might bus it into port authority.

I like Brother Jimmy's, underrated place. Tir Na Nog is a good irish bar...I think it's on like 34th beween 8th and 9th.
Tir na nog is on 33rd and 8th right on the corner. It's alright. Local West is great too, right across the street. Another great bar near MSG is the thirsty fan (formerly Irish Times) on 31st between 7th and 8th.

How are you getting in? I was thinking of driving in, but might bus it into port authority.

My wife and I are taking NJ Transit (Midtown direct train) right to Penn Station. I thought it was gong to be fine on Sunday, has that forecast changed again?

Tir na nog is on 33rd and 8th right on the corner. It's alright. Local West is great too, right across the street. Another great bar near MSG is the thirsty fan (formerly Irish Times) on 31st between 7th and 8th.

Never heard
of The Thirsty Fan (Or Irish Times, for that matter).

Last edited:
Just watched NYC NBC4 Weather report on the noon news.

Snow starting Saturday afternoon. 4-5 inches expected in the city, more to the NW. Changing to rain at midnight. Sunday calls for no precip and just cloudy by tip.

Sack it up, Nancys.

Last edited:
Never head of The Thirsty fan (Or Irish Times, for that matter).
It's right next door to Brother Jimmy's. I rarely go but a major perk is that the music is actually at a volume where you can have a conversation with someone without yelling.

My wife and I are taking NJ Transit (Midtown direct train) right to Penn Station. I thought it was gong to be fine on Sunday, has that forecast changed again?
Still Saturday, 6-8 inches by us but accumulations going into Saturday night could affect early Sunday morning. Almost definitely bussing it now, maybe even park at closest train station and cruise into Penn Station.

I mean Sunday. Storm will be worse north of the city (for folks like me), snow should be done before the game but cleanup may still be in progress. Last report I've read has storm watch ending 6 am Sunday.

Still Saturday, 6-8 inches by us but accumulations going into Saturday night could affect early Sunday morning. Almost definitely bussing it now, maybe even park at closest train station and cruise into Penn Station.

I take the Summit train to Penn. Very good hub and trains run from NYC every hour at :11 after the hour on weekends. Very convenient for me but obviously you have closer options.

It's right next door to Brother Jimmy's. I rarely go but a major perk is that the music is actually at a volume where you can have a conversation with someone without yelling.

That's weird that I didn't notice it. Maybe I went there and didn't take notice of the generic name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom