Who would you rather see time at WR this year? | Syracusefan.com

Who would you rather see time at WR this year?

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Fortunately, we are very deep this year at WR. We have veterans returning in Estime, Cornelius, West, Broyld etc. Alongside the strong veteran group is a monster recruiting class coming in with Williams, Ishmael, Custis, Winfield and Enoicy.

Obviously PT is always available if a player earns it, however in our veterans we seem to have a core group of capable athletes.

Likely though, one, maybe two of the freshman coming in though will see time at WR.

Which freshman do you think is most likely to see quality time?

I think it's Williams.

Believe it or not, I like the returning core nucleus at WR. Estime and Cornelius showed a lot of playmaking promise, and Broyld is coming off a solid year where he created a lot of mismatches. Estime in particular really flashed speed / playmaking ability. And West can shift back into the 3rd receiver / 4th receiver complimentary role where he thrived in 2012. Paris gained a ton of meaningful experience last year and made important plays for us. And I haven't even brought up someone like Funderburk who might take a step forward this season.

If I had to guess, my expectation is that either Williams or Ismael have the potential to see meaningful snaps as freshman. The question in my mind is: is either of them capable of providing Quinton Spotwood-esque freshman contributions?

I know that the perception is that last year we lacked playmakers. That began to change once Estime emerged, and once Cornelius started to get a bit more run. I'm actually encouraged by the group of returning players we have being better than last year. I'd expect one frosh to get into the rotation, but the others are in a solid position to be redshirted--which is a step in the right direction for a club that has lacked depth for many years, and had to rush players onto the field before many of them were ready.

Last edited:
Alvin "Frozone" Cornelius

Alvin "Yukon" Cornelious.

The options for clips from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer are too great to pass up.

upload_2014-6-17_11-1-31.jpeg

Last edited:
Based on the past 10 years, it is rare for a frosh WR to have impact. The only 3 who played regularly: Mike Williams, Marcus Sales, and Brisley Estime.

Ishmael and Williams have a chance, and Erv Phillips might be a back-up to Estime in the slot. Among the returning WRs, we have a top group (Estime, Broyld, West and maybe Kobena) who will play, and others who have a lot to prove.

Based on the past 10 years, it is rare for a frosh WR to have impact. The only 3 who played regularly: Mike Williams, Marcus Sales, and Brisley Estime.

Ishmael and Williams have a chance, and Erv Phillips might be a back-up to Estime in the slot. Among the returning WRs, we have a top group (Estime, Broyld, West and maybe Kobena) who will play, and others who have a lot to prove.
I don't think we'll see Kobena get much PT, other than special teams, unless/until he proves that he can catch the ball consistently.

I'm really curious to see what happens with AC. Will he be in the rotation or has he been recruited over?

I don't think we'll see Kobena get much PT, other than special teams, unless/until he proves that he can catch the ball consistently.

I'm really curious to see what happens with AC. Will he be in the rotation or has he been recruited over?

Kobena, unlike some others, showed some speed and caught passes in the Spring game. Did Flemming, Funderburk, or Cornelius do anything at all in the Spring game? Pick it up, or the recruits will step ahead.

I expect to see some guys transfer out either in the late summer or before the start of the season, theres just way to many bodies with a lot of eligibility left for everyone to stick around.

Out of the Frosh I think Enoicy and the Other Corey are close to locks to redshirt. I know hes projected as a WR but I think Custis's future is a WR/TE hybrid ala Jimmy Graham so I wouldnt be shocked if he redshirted to. I expect Ishmael to play and I wouldn't be shocked if KJ Williams did to. There the two highest rated guys (Custis is up there to) and I have the feeling Ishmael was promised he would be able to play right away. As for Erv Phillips i think he has to start out at RB, theres a numbers issue there and we have to have him prepared if a few guys go down.

As for the returning guys its hard to see how some guys are going to earn PT. Guys like Flemming, Lewis, and even Avant I just dont see the PT being there. Broyld and Estime are locks to start but after that its a crapshoot. West in my opinion had a disasterous year last Fall and should rebound if either Broyld or Estime can become that #1 option. I know guys are high on Cornelious but with all the bodies there I can't help but think hes been recruited over. Funderburk is a total wild card/ dark horse/ whatever cliche you want to use. I dont think anyone has a clue as to what is going to happen with him this year.

Kobena, Hale, and the rest I don't see much room for PT barring massive defections or injuries. Kobena could become a special teams go to guy and I think could thrive there.

With all this depth I really hope the staff utilizes some different packages and doesn't hesitate to use a large rotation of players to help in wearing defenses down and giving opposing coordinators nightmares with all the different personnel packages and schemes.

What about Corey Cooper?

Kobena, unlike some others, showed some speed and caught passes in the Spring game. Did Flemming, Funderburk, or Cornelius do anything at all in the Spring game? Pick it up, or the recruits will step ahead.
Kobena had two big plays in the spring game but even that didn't hide the fact that he struggles catching the ball. On one of the plays ( I believe when he reversed field for a long TD) he actually juggled an easy sideline pass numerous times before controlling the ball. Hopefully he's working hard to soften his hands.

Alec Lemon was the 2nd leading receiver as a true freshmen.

This isn't the BE anymore. We need physical WRs that can get off the line and beat coverage against teams like Clemson and FSU. Whoever steps up and proves to the coaches that they can do that has my support 100%. The way our WRs were mauled last year was awful.

This isn't the BE anymore. We need physical WRs that can get off the line and beat coverage against teams like Clemson and FSU. Whoever steps up and proves to the coaches that they can do that has my support 100%. The way our WRs were mauled last year was awful.
having watched the SU offenses over the last decade +, we needed those WRs in the Big East as well

How well do these kids block? Everyone just thinks about guys getting open down field. But wide outs have to be able to block if you want to have long runs.

Alec Lemon was the 2nd leading receiver as a true freshmen.
Yes -- how could I forget Lemon. Still, that is only 4 years in the past 10 or 12 when a frosh WR had impact, and we have more returning talent in place than in those 4 years. Lemon put up big numbers in high school; Williams was an outstanding athlete with great size; Sales -- 4 star talent per some; Estime -- no question about his elite quickness. Hope the frosh WRs can match these guys, but it is expecting a lot.

Kobena had two big plays in the spring game but even that didn't hide the fact that he struggles catching the ball. On one of the plays ( I believe when he reversed field for a long TD) he actually juggled an easy sideline pass numerous times before controlling the ball. Hopefully he's working hard to soften his hands.
Sure, but it is a comparison game -- Kobena made a couple of plays, and what did you see from Funderburk or Flemming or Cornelius.

My question is who does Hunt look at first in formations X, Y or Z? If the line can give him time and he can either look off guys or do his progressions I want these wr's to get their butt open as if they were all the first options.

If the offense can get good blocking from the wr's or even the te's out wide, this whole thing could be a lot of fun for us to watch. I'm still not quite sure of long threats yet or even how comfortable Hunt is going long. That said, spread this thing out with good options while putting the wr's in position to succeed is the key to me while putting pressure on the defense without showing a pattern. Put the D on their damn heels and over thinking.

I can see Cornelius carving out a similar role to Van chew. Not that fast but solid route runner with dependable hands. Someone to count on to get the first down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom