The OL (2011, 2009, 2004)

and

The *hope* of Cecil Howard

1. Josh Thomas and the 2002 Defensive Line
2. Joe Donnelly
3. Darryl Kennedy
4. Barry Baker
5. JR Johnson

forgot his name but the middle LB who had to give up football because of the clots. Everyone thought that he was a sure 1st team all big east MLB and possibly our best LB since Dan C

I remember there was a FB by the name of Chuck Moss, who was supposed to be unstoppable in practice. He was a Schwartzwalder recruit who Frank Maloney kicked off the team, so I'm guessing it was 1974.

I and my wif
Great, great question.

Mine would be:

The OL (2011, 2009, 2004)

and

The *hope* of Cecil Howard
e went to Hershey PA to see the Bigg 33 game that Cecil Howardwas playing before he got to Syracuse. I know a bit about the game . When I saw him throwing the ball,I knew this kid would never make it as a Div1 QB at Syracuse. Virtually no arm strength at all. In the pre-game drills he was so bad the the coaches just waved him off the field to the sideline . Maybe they were thinking some rest might give him some strength but that was never going to happen. I'll never forget watching Billy Scharr . The kid had a pro arm and Mac tried in vain to make him an option QB. One of the many stupid things that Mac did in his career as the HC. yes he did bring the program back from apparent extinction but I saw too many things from him that I can't and will not ignore.:bat:

forgot his name but the middle LB who had to give up football because of the clots. Everyone thought that he was a sure 1st team all big east MLB and possibly our best LB since Dan C

Jermaine Pierce, first guy I thought of too.

Jermaine Pierce, first guy I thought of too.

That has to be mine too. Not Jermaine's fault it did not work out, obviously. I think he would have been a star.Could you imagine the 2010 team with Pierce, Hogue and Smith as the linebackers. Wow.

Also Joe Fields I thought would be the savior and ended up being a safety...

I remember seeing Polish Joe (Kowalewski) out one night and he was insisting that Joe Fields would be the next McNabb. Says he was tearing it up in practice. Sadly his prediction didn't quite hit the mark.

2. Joe Donnelly
3. Darryl Kennedy
4. Barry Baker
5. JR Johnson
Barry Baker still has a chance though! How many years of eligibility does he have left?

I remember there was a FB by the name of Chuck Moss, who was supposed to be unstoppable in practice. He was a Schwartzwalder recruit who Frank Maloney kicked off the team, so I'm guessing it was 1974.

Do you know why? Maloney was way before my day. Never heard a positive thing about him. (besides he recruited Art Monk and Joe Morris)

2. Joe Donnelly
3. Darryl Kennedy
4. Barry Baker
5. JR Johnson

Great list and I agree, Joe Donnelly that one spring was the second coming... I think he had 3-4 catches the next season

Do you know why? Maloney was way before my day. Never heard a positive thing about him. (besides he recruited Art Monk and Joe Morris)
No, I can't quite remember the details. I do remember that Moss had a brother on the team.
Maloney wasn't a bad coach. He inherited a mess when Ben retired. There wasn't much talent; the facilities were really poor; and there was an anti-football movement within the SU faculty at the time. He didn't have a ton of success, but he did bring in some exciting players and was here when the Carrier Dome was built. He didn't win many friends with his "hunker down" secrecy mentality, though. Maloney was trying to change the culture and many big boosters were upset with their lack of access to the program.

If you really want to time travel - how about Rich Panzisian (spelling all wrong) - he was a QB - given #44 after Floyd. Stupid to have not saved the # for a RB at that time.

There are so many, the Oline the year Grob brought in his friend who had just been let go I think at Minnesota name escapes me, Rice Moss, Tim Lane, Lavar Lobdell (Multiple years), Marcus Sales, and by far Jermaine Pierce what a huge blow. Oh and the LB core we had the year Pierce was medically ruled out, my god that may have been the worst LB core in SU history.

There are so many, the Oline the year Grob brought in his friend who had just been let go I think at Minnesota name escapes me, Rice Moss, Tim Lane, Lavar Lobdell (Multiple years), Marcus Sales, and by far Jermaine Pierce what a huge blow. Oh and the LB core we had the year Pierce was medically ruled out, my god that may have been the worst LB core in SU history.

Mele and Flaherty... Whenever I think of GROB Defenses I just think of them running behind the ball carrier.

Mele and Flaherty... Whenever I think of GROB Defenses I just think of them running behind the ball carrier.

I think that was the Giruzzi, Flaherty, Maljovec lineup, absolutely brutal.

I hesitate to give Maloney credit for "recruiting " Monk and Morris. Sometimes kids just want to go to a particular school and the best thing a coach does ,is not scaring them away.couchburn

Barry Baker and the 2002 defensive line. No offense to Jake, but I specifically remember him writing "nobody will be able to run on us this year". That was the year they all got really, really big but also really, really slow.

I think that was the Giruzzi, Flaherty, Maljovec lineup, absolutely brutal.

Giruzzi was a hell of an athlete prior to the injuries, too bad. Lost a couple of steps for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom