Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

I think there is usually a Frank interview video in the pinned thread, I was eager to see it tonight, but there wasnt one. Was hoping to get some sort of answers...

At least JB hasnt been pulling a Roberson...I think he's been relatively mild in the pressers.
I wouldn't know bud I don't listen to them that much anymore

I wouldn't know bud I don't listen to them that much anymore

Theyre usually boring compared to the past when he used to *****slap reporters who didnt give him just softballs like the weaklings have for awhile now, but I actually liked tonight's one more than the game. I guess nowadays you win "NYS writer of the year" just for towing the line.

Buddy had a long stretch where he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, but he was given opportunities and then it just clicked and now he’s good. Couldn’t the same happen to Carey?

Jalen is an asset for us that isn’t being utilized enough. He’s an elite athlete who can attack the basket, he just has zero confidence right now.
I must be watching a different Carey. The one I see is a PG who regularly gets the ball taken right out of this dribble.

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

But instead, he's more mentally broken than he was prior to the game.
He just hasn't played well at all. He looks out of control, scared and just plain not good right now. I am good with him riding the pine like he is. I think if he played well in practice he'd get a few minutes, but he isn't good there either. I do hope he gets much better for his and our sake.

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

He looks like another out of control fast guy that doesn't really know how to play point guard. edwards, thues, joseph. boeheim's trying to win. carey is a mess. he'll need to figure it out in the off season

Right now basically the only tool in our toolbox is jump shots. We have no post presence, not much attacking the basket and not much of a transition game. I guess my point is that Carey could be someone to help us mix it up a little bit when shots aren’t falling and/or Frank takes a sabbatical.

Buddy looked like a freshman Ron Patterson for the first half of the year, but suddenly he got his mojo with opportunities. Is there some reason Carey can’t do the same?

Buddy is finding ways to contribute more when he isn't hitting the 3, but the more he is out there when not hot, the diminishing returns escalate. I think JB has a tough conversation with Frank and maybe a tough call on his PT moving forward. We need to change something up at the start of games. Problem is sitting Frank did not seem to be a motivator last night. I can live with his lack of guard skills but his lack of effort and his total nonchalance is unacceptable.

I'd like to find him a few minutes in the first half but he's a turnover machine right now and this team has to value possessions.

Right now basically the only tool in our toolbox is jump shots. We have no post presence, not much attacking the basket and not much of a transition game. I guess my point is that Carey could be someone to help us mix it up a little bit when shots aren’t falling and/or Frank takes a sabbatical.

Buddy looked like a freshman Ron Patterson for the first half of the year, but suddenly he got his mojo with opportunities. Is there some reason Carey can’t do the same?
because boeheim's a role player

the guy who has the ball all the time cant be a role player

Carey has played exactly 3 less minutes on the season than Buddy. He was playing more than him up until the Duke game. The game before that he had 4 turnovers again start Tech. It's only been recently that the playing time has been reversed.

Last edited:

Carey made a dumb, dumb, dumb play - it wasn't that he turned the ball over carelessly, but that he did so without a purpose, driving diagonally from the wing to the other side of the lane, away from the hoop.

And I'll disagree further with the observation: at that moment, I said 'that's the end of his night, if not his season,' but then SU went to timeout, Boeheim calmly coached Carey for about a quarter of the timeout, and then he stayed in the game. He subbed out about a minute later. If that's not letting him play through the mistake, I don't know what is.

That being said, I don't know why he was glued to the bench for the rest of the game. And I don't know what could be going through Carey's head while Buddy is playing heavy and totally ineffective minutes (how Syracuse fans can praise that kid's defense I don't know - watch who's been drawn into the lane on nearly every top-of-the-key three when he's in the game).

But I will throw Boeheim credit - that looked like baby-steps toward a more patient and instructive approach when Carey made his horrible turnover.

Carey is still by far a better defender than Buddy or Frank. I wish that alone earned him some minutes in the 2nd half.

Carey is more of the same of our guards and doesn't really present a different look.

It's why Buddy kept getting chances when he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He was brought in to shoot and that dynamic is sorely needed on this team and it's why the best line-up has tended to be Battle-Boeheim-Hughes-Brissett-Dolezaj/Chukwu for offense. If Buddy did not start hitting shots in ACC play, you would likely have seen Carey more as the 3rd guard.

Tyus is going to play 40 minutes a game if Cuse doesn't need to press from the middle of the first half on. So, you are essentially talking about 40 minutes worth of PT between Howard/Boeheim/Carey.

Carey is going to start next year, IMO. Just this year is the nature of having a player return instead of going pro in Tyus making it hard for him to break into the rotation.

I'm a Boeheim fan for the most part, I just don't like this aspect of his coaching. What happened to Roberson was a damn shame, really was. I still feel bad for that young guy.

Not me. I always took JB’s skewering him in the Press as sign that every other attempt at motivation had failed.

Roberson’s inability to match even his Junior season’s level had a lot to do with effort.

I feel bad for Roberson too, but not because of JB’s attempt to light a fire under his ass. Wasted potential is not a good thing. Last I heard, Roberson was languishing in the basketball minor leagues. That’s the sad part.

Languishing? He is/was playing professional basketball in Greece. That sounds pretty awesome to me.

So you think he’s played up to his potential?

So you think he’s played up to his potential?

He's getting 13 minutes and putting up 6 points for a better division team in Athens.

We ran this trap some time ago - Euro average salaries are around 100k assuming the checks clear. Don't know what TR is pulling down. Likely a step up from the G-League draw last year.

Professionally yes. Roberson was never going to the NBA.

Not with that lackadaisical approach he wasn’t. That’s what JB was trying unsuccessfully to address. Of course, JB only cared about his team.

But, of course, the more sensitive on here views JB’s comments as pure meanness. These are guys that really do like seeing the sausage being made.

If Roberson had half of Battle’s heart, he would be in the NBA.

He looks like another out of control fast guy that doesn't really know how to play point guard. edwards, thues, joseph. boeheim's trying to win..
Maybe someone should suggest recruiting players that know how to play point guard. The conversion therapy program is not working.

Not with that lackadaisical approach he wasn’t. That’s what JB was trying unsuccessfully to address. Of course, JB only cared about his team.

But, of course, the more sensitive on here views JB’s comments as pure meanness. These are guys that really do like seeing the sausage being made.

If Roberson had half of Battle’s heart, he would be in the NBA.

No he wouldn't - still cannot shoot and it's a shooters league at his size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom