Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

Not with that lackadaisical approach he wasn’t. That’s what JB was trying unsuccessfully to address. Of course, JB only cared about his team.

But, of course, the more sensitive on here views JB’s comments as pure meanness. These are guys that really do like seeing the sausage being made.

If Roberson had half of Battle’s heart, he would be in the NBA.

Actually; however, I do think he played with a lot of heart till JB messed with his head. IMHO, one of JB's worst coaching jobs ever in terms of handling a particular kid.

In terms of NBA skills - he could not shoot, his rebounding was erractic, he had no semblence of an NBA handle for a SF, and he did not have NBA size for a PF. How was he going to play in the NBA ?

Actually; however, I do think he played with a lot of heart till JB messed with his head. IMHO, one of JB's worst coaching jobs ever in terms of handling a particular kid.

Just curious but how exactly did JB mess with his head? And how did that effect his play? I see it the other way. Boeheim gave Roberson every opportunity to play and get better. I think there were a lot of nights Roberson didn’t play hard and wasn’t productive despite every effort to light a fire under the kid.

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

But instead, he's more mentally broken than he was prior to the game.
he can't handle the ball. It isn't just one mistake. It's almost every time he handles the ball.

he can't handle the ball. It isn't just one mistake. It's almost every time he handles the ball.

Exactly. Even when he's not turning the ball over, he's not someone that inspires confidence in me in the way that he dribbles. It's spastic, high and appears completely unskilled. Until he gets that corrected, he's not going to have a meaningful impact.

Then why do we give basketball scholarships to guards who can't handle the ball, big men who can't post their man up and make very fundamental big man moves, etc.?

Then why do we give basketball scholarships to guards who can't handle the ball, big men who can't post their man up and make very fundamental big man moves, etc.?
because good shot blockers who can post up and have good fundamentals are hard to land just like tall point guards who can shoot

The coaches see something in a kid that says this kid can get better.

Carey was excellent in the EYBL last year. I am surprised he is struggling this much. His handle did not look like much of a concern against the best high school prospects last year.

Carey was excellent in the EYBL last year. I am surprised he is struggling this much. His handle did not look like much of a concern against the best high school prospects last year.

Which is why it has to be a mental thing, right? Could be easily fixed or he could end up like Markelle Fultz looking like he's never shot a basketball before.

Exactly. Even when he's not turning the ball over, he's not someone that inspires confidence in me in the way that he dribbles. It's spastic, high and appears completely unskilled. Until he gets that corrected, he's not going to have a meaningful impact.

Eh, idk. Kaleb had a handle I would describe like that. Carey is not in the same universe of bad ballhandling as Kaleb, imo.

The ACC is a step up from High School.

Eh, idk. Kaleb had a handle I would describe like that. Carey is not in the same universe of bad ballhandling as Kaleb, imo.

Wish I could agree with that, but so far what I'm seeing from him doesn't match that take. He has a quicker handle than Kaleb, I'll give you that. But it means nothing when you can't control it.

Wish I could agree with that, but so far what I'm seeing from him doesn't match that take. He has a quicker handle than Kaleb, I'll give you that. But it means nothing when you can't control it.

He gets out of control at times. Kaleb was out of control all the time. Carey's good times are as good as any we've had in recent years.

He gets out of control at times. Kaleb was out of control all the time. Carey's good times are as good as any we've had in recent years.

I don't understand the basis for that take. Is it based on two games at MSG? Because he has done almost literally nothing in any other game.

I don't understand the basis for that take. Is it based on two games at MSG? Because he has done almost literally nothing in any other game.

He's hardly played outside of that. 5 minutes in a game is basically zero minutes.

Go on back and look at my post detailing the games he has had 15+ minutes of playing time since MSG. Plenty of opportunities to make an impact and yet he has not.

Go on back and look at my post detailing the games he has had 15+ minutes of playing time since MSG. Plenty of opportunities to make an impact and yet he has not.

Morehead State, G'town, and maybe St. Bonaventure are his bad games and only Morehead is truly bad. His shooting numbers aren't good but the volume is so low it's hard to reach any conclusion on that.

Did I miss one?

We better hope Battle comes back next year to play point guard because there is no one on the roster this or next year to play the position. It’s scary to think who will handle ball pressure next year.

We better hope Battle comes back next year to play point guard because there is no one on the roster this or next year to play the position. It’s scary to think who will handle ball pressure next year.

I disagree whole heartedly.

It’s not his handle..it’s his head. Typical freshman nerves. He’ll be fine once he truly settles in

Washington is a PG. Goodine is a PG.

How do you know that?

I'll never understand these people who make such authoritative statements with absolutely no reason or evidence to back up their claim.

I would love to see Howard Washington playing this year. Dude made me feel calm when he had the ball, I imagine it does the same for his teammates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom