Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

Not with that lackadaisical approach he wasn’t. That’s what JB was trying unsuccessfully to address. Of course, JB only cared about his team.

But, of course, the more sensitive on here views JB’s comments as pure meanness. These are guys that really do like seeing the sausage being made.

If Roberson had half of Battle’s heart, he would be in the NBA.

Townie, I really appreciate your posts. They cause me to reflect on things that sometimes not a single other poster on here does. I'm not saying if anything is right or wrong, but I like being offered a different perspective.

Not with that lackadaisical approach he wasn’t. That’s what JB was trying unsuccessfully to address. Of course, JB only cared about his team.

But, of course, the more sensitive on here views JB’s comments as pure meanness. These are guys that really do like seeing the sausage being made.

If Roberson had half of Battle’s heart, he would be in the NBA.

You have no business presuming to know anything about Tyler Roberson.

But we've been down this road before, and you've showed your true colors, so to speak.

No he wouldn't - still cannot shoot and it's a shooters league at his size.

I watch so few NBA games, I really don’t know. But Roberson could be a lot more like Dennis Rodman than he was or is with more motivation.

You have no business presuming to know anything about Tyler Roberson.

But we've been down this road before, and you've showed your true colors, so to speak.

Was Roberson better or worse or about the same in his senior season versus his junior season?

And my mild attempt at guessing at Roberson’s psychology pales in comparison to what I read on here everyday about JB destroying players confidence by sitting them down and/or not playing them or criticizing them publically.

Theyre usually boring compared to the past when he used to *****slap reporters who didnt give him just softballs like the weaklings have for awhile now, but I actually liked tonight's one more than the game. I guess nowadays you win "NYS writer of the year" just for towing the line.

Well, I don’t know how much meeker the press is at these, but it’s encouraging to see there is some learning on their part that is possible.

JBs opening remarks at all of these pretty completely summarize the game from his perspective. He anticipates and answers most of the legitimate questions about the game a reporter might need to write a straightforward basketball
-oriented story.

But we all know or should know that reporters would very much like to have something sensational to bring back to the editors. Controversy sells newspapers and not dry reporting on details of the game. That’s why there are so many questions about Buddy as reporters try and dig into the dynamics of JB and Buddy’s playing time.

JB gets what the game is and usually won’t play it. By the way, few coaches or public figures will.

Was Roberson better or worse or about the same in his senior season versus his junior season?

And my mild attempt at guessing at Roberson’s psychology pales in comparison to what I read on here everyday about JB destroying players confidence by sitting them down and/or not playing them or criticizing them publically.

Mild.

Mild.PNG

Yeah. Mild. Nothing inappropriate there.

That'll do it for me on this topic today, folks.

Last edited:
Could it be because he makes literally the exact same mistakes every time he gets into the game? Not only that, it's apparently gotten worse as the year has gone on. He basically cannot dribble at all at this point.

every player reacts to that kind of thing differently QUOTE]
THAT is the key point.
What will work for one guy may not for another.
But it doesn't seem that Boeheim has ever really coached that way.
He's been more of "one standard fits all."
Not surprisingly, that has resulted in some successes, some failures and some transfers.

Dennis Rodman is arguably the greatest defensive forward in the history of the sport of basketball.

His athleticism and defensive and rebounding aptitude is severely underrated by too many. And what I mean by that is people who act like rebounding and defense is all just trying hard and there’s no talent to it.

Maybe someone should suggest recruiting players that know how to play point guard. The conversion therapy program is not working.
easier said than done. there are tradeoffs. surely boeheim knows it, it all works backward from the zone. it's all by choice.

john gillon is a fabulous basketball player but look at what happened that year, teams shot right over him

easier said than done. there are tradeoffs. surely boeheim knows it, it all works backward from the zone. it's all by choice.

john gillon is a fabulous basketball player but look at what happened that year, teams shot right over him
he recruits for the zone - we know this. But if it's darn impossible to find long athletic point guards that can also shoot and run the offense, then maybe he shouldn't be wedded to that system. The whole zone thing has become too personal to JB, he forgets it's a business.

5' 9 '" john gillon played 30 mpg as a grad transfer. with 1 year to learn the zone. and played well god bless.

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

But instead, he's more mentally broken than he was prior to the game.
Don't be hard on yourself. You have many career wins in forum posts.

Maybe it’s me but Buddy has had a pretty massive leash lately. If he’s making shots I get it but he was 0/6 from 3 tonight and while he’s a solid passer he can’t create for others and can’t do much off the dribble. I feel if Buddy isn’t making shots then it should be Frank or Jalen in.

what did Frank do to deserve PT last night?

Buddy had a long stretch where he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, but he was given opportunities and then it just clicked and now he’s good. Couldn’t the same happen to Carey?

Jalen is an asset for us that isn’t being utilized enough. He’s an elite athlete who can attack the basket, he just has zero confidence right now.
I kinda agree with you, that JB wrecks confidence in some players before they rebuild it, but maybe Jalen is showing the same problems in practice as he is on the game floor. Maybe Buddy was given the benefit of the doubt when he was missing because practice told a different story. Or, maybe the problem is that Buddy missing shots wasn't considered as much of a problem because, while missing, he was still missing 'in the right way'—a missed shot, taken under the right circumstances and within the scheme, is not a mistake. But, turning the ball over the way Carey has been... that really is a sack full of mistakes.

Yeah, i'd like to see Carey rebuild confidence, because i know he's not as bad as he's been showing, but he really needs to earn it with play and not our hopes. I prolly would have put him out there with the starters when the game was practically out of reach, because losing by 25 instead of 18 is maybe i compromise i'd make if i thought it was a means of developing an important kid a bit quicker. I can't imagine anyone believes Carey has a fragile psyche.

It reminds me of Tyler Roberson when he was so paranoid of being pulled that he looked like a robot trying to play basketball.

Was he paranoid? The kid played for 4 years. He should have figured it out. He may have been tentative, but I’m not blaming JB for that. At some point he has to become confident in his ability. He played 30 mpg his sophomore and junior seasons. He wasn’t getting pulled. The coaches tried everything they could to help him. Sometimes it was his lack of effort, and not just a lack of productivity that got him a seat on the bench. IIRC he would go home to NJ over the Summer so the staff wasn’t able to work with him. Maybe is was his own fault.

5' 9 '" john gillon played 30 mpg as a grad transfer. with 1 year to learn the zone. and played well god bless.

Agree. While we “recruit for the zone” we also recruit basketball players. I’m pretty sure we didn’t recruit Joe Girard for his defense.

Agree. While we “recruit for the zone” we also recruit basketball players. I’m pretty sure we didn’t recruit Joe Girard for his defense.

You can't count stop-gap John Gillon as someone we recruited. We had a desperate need.

As for Girard, that one (to me) feels like one of those have to recruit because he's a local kid and it would look bad if you couldn't get him... I'm probably wrong about that, but that's what I see.

You can't count stop-gap John Gillon as someone we recruited. We had a desperate need.

As for Girard, that one (to me) feels like one of those have to recruit because he's a local kid and it would look bad if you couldn't get him... I'm probably wrong about that, but that's what I see.

Alterique Gilbert, Quade Green, Gmac, we’ve recruited several smaller guards that were not defensive stoppers. We didn’t recruit JG because he’s local. The kid can play. Great shooter.

Alterique Gilbert, Quade Green, Gmac, we’ve recruited several smaller guards that were not defensive stoppers. We didn’t recruit JG because he’s local. The kid can play. Great shooter.

Green's a good callout. I'm not familiar with Gilbert.

I've heard the same thing about Buddy, and he's 6'5". Where does JG play next year? Honestly curious, because he seems like 4th or 5th option now.

Green's a good callout. I'm not familiar with Gilbert.

I've heard the same thing about Buddy, and he's 6'5". Where does JG play next year? Honestly curious, because he seems like 4th or 5th option now.

He's the 4th or 5th option behind Carey/Goodine/Buddy :) and maybe Washington.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom