Why can't SU recruit guards who can shoot? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't SU recruit guards who can shoot?

Millhouse

Living Legend
SU's insistence on recruiting guards who can't shoot makes everything hinge on finding an all American small forward who can. I'm so tired of it.

Find short players who can shoot already, not that difficult

Last edited:
What's funny is Malachi is a much better overall player than expected. We'd almost be better off if he was strictly a long range marksman.

But you know, actually hit his deep shots.

It's truly ridiculous.

We recruit players for the zone.

We can't teach players to play the zone.

Millhouse said:
looks like uproxx was wrong FIVE YEARS AGO

It answered your question. We recruited one of the best pure shooters on that class. Did the same with Richardson.

iommi said:
That site is the voice of record on recruiting. Dime magazine.:rolleyes: Malachi will become an asset as a shooter when/ if he figures out good shots from bad.

Dime magazine put him on the US team? Or picked him as best shooter at the LeBron camp?

SU's insistence on recruiting guards who can't shoot makes everything hinge on finding an all American small forward who can. I'm so tired of it.

Find short players who can shoot already, not that difficult

Especially at point guard. College basketball is so guard driven, that not having a difference maker is a huge liability.

I get that we recruit for zone, but I think we should forego that "profile" philosophy and start bringing in lead guards who are studs.

How good would this team look with Monte Morris or Ja'Quan Newton running the point? Frustrating.

Cooney was recruited as a shooter. Yes, he hasn't been the sniper we hoped he'd be, but all of the multiple D1 schools going after him were recruiting a 4-star shooter. Nobody can argue G can't shoot. Malachi is a guard and he can shoot, despite his recent slump. The jury is still out on Frank Howard. Considering Battle is expected to be a decent 3-point shooter, that means we play three guards this year who can shoot and will play two guards next year (Battle and Richardson) who can shoot. So what's the argument about Syracuse not recruiting guards who can shoot?

Dime magazine put him on the US team? Or picked him as best shooter at the LeBron camp?

I doubt our coach had any influence on the US team slot. :confused:

Cooney had a hot shooting streak at a camp. Yippee.

I think I'd prefer he'd shoot the ball in Syracuse University basketball games. That's why he's on scholarship.

He played very well in Atlantis but like most of the rest of his teammates, has not played well since those games. His defense today was putrid.

And Cooneyhas not been a great shooter in a Syracuse uniform and it is not even close. He just takes a lot of shots, so he's compiled a lot of made three point shots and points. He's streaky and he has no conscience.

I hope the player who was solid in Atlantis re-emerges for a while, but even so, that will be fleeting...because Cooney is streaky.

Cooney was recruited as a shooter. Yes, he hasn't been the sniper we hoped he'd be, but all of the multiple D1 schools going after him were recruiting a 4-star shooter. Nobody can argue G can't shoot. Malachi is a guard and he can shoot, despite his recent slump. The jury is still out on Frank Howard. Considering Battle is expected to be a decent 3-point shooter, that means we play three guards this year who can shoot and will play two guards next year (Battle and Richardson) who can shoot. So what's the argument about Syracuse not recruiting guards who can shoot?
cooney can't shoot. tyler ennis can't shoot. michael carter williams can't shoot. caleb joseph can't shoot. patterson couldn't shoot. triche couldn't shoot.

i'm tired of praying for a guard who can shoot as well as scoop jardine who is now roughly 47 years old and was never actually all that good a shooter

I doubt our coach had any influence on the US team slot. :confused:

He had a hot shooting streak at a camp. Yippee.

I think I'd prefer he'd shoot the ball great in Syracuse University basketball games. That's why he's on scholarship.

He played very well in Atlantis but like most of the rest of his teammates, has not played well since those games. His defense today was putrid.

And he has not been a great shooter in a Syracuse uniform. He just takes a lot of shots, so he's compiled a lot of made three point shots and points. He's streaky and he has no conscience.

cooney can't shoot. tyler ennis can't shoot. michael carter williams can't shoot. caleb joseph can't shoot. patterson couldn't shoot. triche couldn't shoot.

i'm tired of praying for a guard who can shoot as well as scoop jardine who is now roughly 47 years old and was never actually all that good a shooter
Cooney shot almost 40% from 3 in HS. What were we supposed to base our recruiting on if not his HS stats?

iommi said:
I doubt our coach had any influence on the US team slot. :confused: Cooney had a hot shooting streak at a camp. Yippee. I think I'd prefer he'd shoot the ball in Syracuse University basketball games. That's why he's on scholarship. He played very well in Atlantis but like most of the rest of his teammates, has not played well since those games. His defense today was putrid. And Cooneyhas not been a great shooter in a Syracuse uniform and it is not even close. He just takes a lot of shots, so he's compiled a lot of made three point shots and points. He's streaky and he has no conscience. I hope the player who was solid in Atlantis re-emerges for a while, but even so, that will be fleeting...because Cooney is streaky.

Except none of that has anything to do with the OP or my replies. We recruited a kid that could shoot. Only what he did before he got here is valid in answering the question.

Cooney shot almost 40% from 3 in HS. What were we supposed to base our recruiting on if not his HS stats?
any bozo can look up high school stats. their job is to project. and it's not just cooney.

Except none of that has anything to do with the OP or my replies. We recruited a kid that could shoot. Only what he did before he got here is valid in answering the question.

That's fair but Cooney's high school competition was suspect, so I'm not sure we had proof he was a kid who could shoot. Malachi, on the other hand, was a proven high school shooter against legit competition.

iommi said:
That's fair but Cooney's high school competition was suspect, so I'm not sure we were sure he was a kid who could shoot. Malachi, on the other hand, was a proven high school shooter against legit competition.

He didn't just play HS teams. AAU, the US team, the James camp and other opportunities were a lot different than HS talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom