Why can't we run a real offense? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't we run a real offense?

They are at the top the ACC every year. Bennet is one of the best younger coaches in the business. I guess people around here don't respect what he has built at Virginia or his national championship. Again, how are you supposed to get a new offensive unit together in game 1 against such a tough D and team? That is why teams like to play an easy OOC to work some things out.
There’s not an excuse in the world to cover what we did offensively.

You must be a very selective post reader if you think anyone here has anything but the highest respect for Bennett.
In my book, they are the no,1 overall program in the country. They would have probably made a deep run 2 years ago but lost Hunter. They are much better than their 11 ranking and their defense shuts down Duke and UNC scoring all the time. It was a very, very bad opening game matchup for this SU team.

There’s not an excuse in the world to cover what we did offensively.
You just won't except the rationale because your of the group of people who think things will be so much better if JB is gone.

They will improve. Carey is a 2 guard. No question about it. I think he can be a good one without the burden of running the offense. We hold the ball too much and make perimeter passes which don’t lead to offensive opportunities. Girard is decisive and confident and keeps the ball moving. We need that and to get into transition. We are collectively like screaming kids on a roller coaster. Coach has greater knowledge of the game than any of us. I am confident in that assertion. I am shocked to be saying this but, JG3 is our best option at the 1. We will go through growing pains, but will be fine in the end.

You must be a very selective post reader if you think anyone here has anything but the highest respect for Bennett.
He's amazing. Love to have him here when JB retires. Class act and success has been undeniable. UVA's been first in the ACC 4 of the last 6 years, all 30+ win seasons. Bennett had one down year in 2016-17 after losing Hunter, Tobey and Gill. But no worries - just reload with Huff, Diakite, Jerome and Guy and plug them into the machine: hellacious defense with a tall center, uber athletic forward and a couple guards that can shoot, distribute and penetrate. If there's a better lesson in the conference about how to build an offense without one/dones ... I haven't seen it.

He's amazing. Love to have him here when JB retires. Class act and success has been undeniable. UVA's been first in the ACC 4 of the last 6 years, all 30+ win seasons. Bennett had one down year in 2016-17 after losing Hunter, Tobey and Gill. But no worries - just reload with Huff, Diakite, Jerome and Guy and plug them into the machine: hellacious defense with a tall center, uber athletic forward and a couple guards that can shoot, distribute and penetrate. If there's a better lesson in the conference about how to build an offense ... I haven't seen it.
That's some logic. Now we have to play this team first game of the season and having lost Battle, OB and Frankie, the 3 guys who can make their own shot leaving us with just perimeter shooters from last year and some new kids who are going to have to get some run before they can do much of anything.That's how we end up with 34 points.

the don's play the princeton tigers tonite. you know where bennett's heart still is.

I fully expect us to win 19-21 overall games, 10-12 games in conference and to be constantly checking the board in February and March for jncuse ’s bracket matrix updates.

I mean, that IS improvement!

I fully expect us to win 19-21 overall games, 10-12 games in conference and to be constantly checking the board in February and March for jncuse ’s bracket matrix updates.

Pretty much; it's been the same regular season, give or take, for the last 5 or 6 years

I’d sign up for that right now for this season. Is it too much to ask that in our 13 losses, it’s more of the 80-72 type scores than the 60-52? That’s all I ask.

Stop pushing the "Hop was pushed out" BS.

It. Is. Not. True.

I think people have debated whether Hop was pushed out enough times.

Was he pushed out? Did JB not want to retire? JB didn't want to turn the key over? Buddy wanting to play changed JB's mind? Hop decided to go on his own?

The thing is, life is never just black and white, it's gray. ALL of the above could be true, at the same time, to varying degrees.

It's no secret JB didn't like having the retirement timeline set FOR him. But he has said several times he will stick by that timeline and I do not see any reason why he wouldn't have stepped down as he said. The times he were asked at interviews about his retirement he wasn't pleased and gave answers to throw back on the interviewers.

The job didn't suddenly, out of the blue, fall onto Hop's lap unexpectedly. He was looking. He's been looking for a while, he was considered for the USC job, that fell through, then he signed an agent at IMG, I think the agent is an ex-cuse too. So he has already telegraphed that he is looking elsewhere while he was a coach in waiting. It could be that (A) he got tired of waiting, or (B) he wanted to branch out and do something on his own. However, it could also be that (C) he didn't want to be the person nudging JB off to retirement. You know what, it could be 25% of A, 30% of B, 15% of C and 30% of everything else.

That JB didn't want to retire could be true, but he would have stepped down as planned. He may not like it and felt he could still coach on forever, but it wouldn't have mattered. There is also another angle, which is he wanted a chance to bring the program back to the top, out of the sanctions, then hand it over to Hopkins, instead of him inheriting a mess that's seemingly crippled by the sanctions.

There is also the question of money. How much do you think Hopkins would make if he had stay and become HC at cuse? Now if you look at the top 10 D1 college basketball coach salary today in ranks:

1 Kentucky John Calipari $7,950,000
2 Duke Mike Krzyzewski $7,048,206
3 Michigan St Tom Izzo $3,732,562
4 Virginia Tony Bennett $4,150,000
5 Kansas Bill Self $3,881,857
6 Louisville Chris Mack $4,007,494
7 North Carolina Roy Williams $2,281,778
8 Villanova Jay Wright $3,878,768
9 West Virginia Bob Huggins $3,850,000
10 Michigan John Beilein $3,800,000

these are just base salaries, not counting any bonuses, endorsements etc...actually Pitino the year he was fired from Louisville he was the highest, at that time he was close to 9M even higher than K and Calipari. JB is a HOF coach, you would think a HOF coach would be in the top ten somewhere but no JB is ranked #32 at $2.6M! I think the year Hop left he was around only 2.1M. Obviously his pay is low because he is giving a hometown loyalty discount. Now if JB was making 2.1M how much do you think they would have paid Hop as a HC? Would they have expected a discount too? Washington's package to Hop was similar to JB's at the time, then they extended him for six years for 17.5M, so that's an average of 2.92M, he is already making more than JB now, compared to whatever the number SU was going to pay him if he were to take over, no way SU would pay him more or even the same as JB's.

I think no one pushed Hop out, but Hop realized the best thing for him AND JB was for him to land something somewhere else. He had to have a talk with JB before he signed an agent to look, he must have gotten a blessing from JB, and that's that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom