Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner? | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner?

1 I wouldn't have taken out Dungey until mid 3rd or end. 2 He should have brought him back in when it got to 2 scores not 1 at minimum.

Not smart tonight in game management.
I don't see an issue with letting TD in at the end of the 2nd quarter. 34-7, no biggie to pull him out.
Should have brought him back after the 1st score though in the 2nd half after 2 non-scoring drives.

Could have cost them the game. Way too early to take the foot off of the gas and WMU was close to taking the momentum permanently.

We played a flawless first half... Much to my surprise, I filled expected some first game bumps in the road. Those bumps manifested in the second half. We are fine. Butler needs to catch a damn ball and we need N. Johnson back. Outside that, I expected some growing pains.

You have to question Babers football IQ here. Has he never seen a football game were a team, a home team at that, is stumbling around and getting beat bad and then gets a few positive plays and makes a furious comeback?

Get what you're saying but think the decision was very intelligent. Devito's drives went awry, but this was critical game experience.

Get what you're saying but think the decision was very intelligent. Devito's drives went awry, but this was critical game experience.
This wasn't a scrimmage and the game was almost lost except Eric wasn't about to let that happen. If Devito is as good as a lot of people say he is, he should be able to come in if ED is injured and perform without being spoonfed.

This wasn't a scrimmage and the game was almost lost except Eric wasn't about to let that happen. If Devito is as good as a lot of people say he is, he should be able to come in if ED is injured and perform without being spoonfed.

Devito's drives were atrocious. I have no idea if he's as good as "reports" are. Dungey saved the game. However, think it was necessary game time for him.

Devito's drives were atrocious. I have no idea if he's as good as "reports" are. Dungey saved the game. However, think it was necessary game time for him.
If they had lost that game after leading 34-7 because they wanted to get a backup QB some reps, it would have been the end of the season, the end of Babers grace period from criticism, and a colossal set back for the program. That doesn't seem like a smart decision.

Dino in game decisions and second half struggles are a growing red flag. And there has to be more to the story or I hope there is because the decision was baffling.

If they had lost that game after leading 34-7 because they wanted to get a backup QB some reps, it would have been the end of the season, the end of Babers grace period from criticism, and a colossal set back for the program. That doesn't seem like a smart decision.

The idea is to not have a November swoon. Let's agree to disagree. Get your point.

Dungey has never finished a season, so I have NO problem with this as long as we won, we did. If we had lost this would have been absolutely stupid. Let's be realistic though, we have to get TD ready and id rather do it early in August with Dungey still available, then late in November when we have no other options because Dungey is done for the season.

The Shafer people are going for the jugular.
Give me last nights stupid over anything from the SS era.

Dino was stubborn but he won so oh well. He wouldn’t have done this if it’s was an ACC opponent.
DeVito will be fine that was the first time he played and it was on the road against a decent MAC team.
Dungey actually looks better after DeVito struggled.

If he didn’t have Robinson and Shafer as 2 of our last 4 coaches then last night would have been crazy.

Dungey was hurt, even if not badly. Look at the post game pic someone posted. Babers knows what Dungey means to the team. He gambled not wanting Dungey to further hurt his shoulder. But it got to a point that he just had to let him go and not worry about further injury. He waited one, possibly two series too long. Not sure why post game Babers didn’t want to mention Dungey got dinged, bruised, whatever with the throwing shoulder.

Dungey has never finished a season, so I have NO problem with this as long as we won, we did. If we had lost this would have been absolutely stupid. Let's be realistic though, we have to get TD ready and id rather do it early in August with Dungey still available, then late in November when we have no other options because Dungey is done for the season.
Agree 100%. Especially since he dinged up his shoulder on that TD run.

We have a top 20-30 QB in the country - why are we taking him out at all? It was the second quarter against a legit team. Unless Dino is thinking this is going to be some QB rotation, which is insane, I can’t fathom the decision. Get up by 50 and get Devito some reps in the 4th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom