Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner?

Dungey was hurt, even if not badly. Look at the post game pic someone posted. Babers knows what Dungey means to the team. He gambled not wanting Dungey to further hurt his shoulder. But it got to a point that he just had to let him go and not worry about further injury. He waited one, possibly two series too long. Not sure why post game Babers didn’t want to mention Dungey got dinged, bruised, whatever with the throwing shoulder.

If Dungey is really dinged up, would have no issue if didn't play against Wagner.

And then ED had his foot hurt as well. I look at it as having a pitcher and taking him out with a big lead to save his arm.

The OL did nothing to help Devito and that disappointed me way more than anything TD did.

Agree. DeVito wasn't great but he wasn't given the best opportunity. Then again who does ever get that.

TD looked like AJ Long out there running for his life. I'm sure he may have misread a thing or two or when he looked the WR was covered short which would be the smart move by the D. Still...it seemed like Babers put out the 2nd team OL at the same time.

If they had lost that game after leading 34-7 because they wanted to get a backup QB some reps, it would have been the end of the season, the end of Babers grace period from criticism, and a colossal set back for the program. That doesn't seem like a smart decision.

Babers is a day always be a riverboat gambler. He takes chances. Just the way it is.

I get the plan to put TD in and am not against it. However, why not do it at the beginning of the 2nd half? By putting him in just prior to halftime, WMU had an opportunity to adjust to having TD in over the halftime break instead of on the fly. Gotta think scheming for ED is MUCH different than TD.

LOL at people questioning Babers football IQ...It's like the 400 lb couch potatoes saying that Slayton's squat at 600 + lbs was not that great.
NO ONE on this board even comes close to Babers football IQ, by saying it's not good makes you look foolish.
Babers is stubborn and will never attempt he is wrong or hey maybe he wasn't wrong?

Dungey was hurt, even if not badly. Look at the post game pic someone posted. Babers knows what Dungey means to the team. He gambled not wanting Dungey to further hurt his shoulder. But it got to a point that he just had to let him go and not worry about further injury. He waited one, possibly two series too long. Not sure why post game Babers didn’t want to mention Dungey got dinged, bruised, whatever with the throwing shoulder.
^^^This...exactly

This whole discussion around "34-7 wasn't a big enough lead we should have waited to put DeVito in until the game was REALLY wrapped up" is some hilarious goal post moving.

Our offense was steam rolling, our defense had one leaky drive, there was zero reason to anticipate that the offense would completely go in the tank and the defense would become Swiss cheese like that. None at all.

With a 4 score lead you kinda have to have confidence in your team. I mean, getting out to that lead earns it.

Agree. Thought this was pretty obvious.

Very surprised this isn’t the common interpretation.

Guys, Dino is NEVER going to tell us the real reason in a presser. He doesn’t care that his stupid response (wanting team to dig out with DeVito) May make him look bad. He is protecting the truth (Dungey already dinged up)

Agree. Thought this was pretty obvious.

Very surprised this isn’t the common interpretation.

Guys, Dino is NEVER going to tell us the real reason in a presser. He doesn’t care that his stupid response (wanting team to dig out with DeVito) May make him look bad. He is protecting the truth (Dungey already dinged up)

Sure he got dinged, but it was very apparent it was nothing serious. If anything I think it was another case of being overly cautious when it wasn't warranted. I am totally fine with giving TD that last drive before the half. Give ED the rest of the quarter and all of halftime to recover, get taped up, and then start the 3rd quarter. There was absolutely no reason to keep him out starting the 3rd. If he was that hurt he wouldn't have went back in. You can tell Dungey knew he wasn't hurt. He was pleading to go back in. I'm not buying he was hurt one bit.

Dino in game decisions and second half struggles are a growing red flag. And there has to be more to the story or I hope there is because the decision was baffling.
Adjustments at half and after half (to respond to WMU’s change in game plan) are certainly issues to pay attention to in the future.

This whole discussion around "34-7 wasn't a big enough lead we should have waited to put DeVito in until the game was REALLY wrapped up" is some hilarious goal post moving.

Our offense was steam rolling, our defense had one leaky drive, there was zero reason to anticipate that the offense would completely go in the tank and the defense would become Swiss cheese like that. None at all.

With a 4 score lead you kinda have to have confidence in your team. I mean, getting out to that lead earns it.

I'll give you the 34-7 lead ok go ahead and put in TD. 34-21 and you send him back out there after WM scored two quick TDs? NUTS!!!!

Agree 100%. Especially since he dinged up his shoulder on that TD run.

He didn't hurt his shoulder on the TD run. It was on a sack he took a little later. It was a direct hit on his throwing shoulder. He hesitated on the ground. You could tell it was a good stinger. Surprised the not many people saw it. Dungey got up but you could tell his shoulder was hurting after the hit.

Sure he got dinged, but it was very apparent it was nothing serious. If anything I think it was another case of being overly cautious when it wasn't warranted. I am totally fine with giving TD that last drive before the half. Give ED the rest of the quarter and all of halftime to recover, get taped up, and then start the 3rd quarter. There was absolutely no reason to keep him out starting the 3rd. If he was that hurt he wouldn't have went back in. You can tell Dungey knew he wasn't hurt. He was pleading to go back in. I'm not buying he was hurt one bit.
It's because Dungey won't protect himself.

At this point i've just accepted that he's going to do what he does. I'm over wishing he protected himself more. I've resigned myself to just holding my breathe and hoping he gets up.
Right. I think Babers has too.

That's why once Babers thought the game was won he pulled Dungey to ensure he would live to fight another day.

8F4370C0-74C0-458F-A8F8-1D07F6D0DF9F.jpeg

Right. I think Babers has too.

That's why once Babers thought the game was won he pulled Dungey to ensure he would live to fight another day.

While collapsing to that extent was shocking, I refuse to believe he thought the game was won before halftime. College football gets way too crazy for that.

So he had ice on his shoulder? Everybody has ice all over their bodies. This picture doesn't tell a thing.

he hurt his shoulder.

While collapsing to that extent was shocking, I refuse to believe he thought the game was won before halftime. College football gets way too crazy for that.
We were getting the ball back, had been unstoppable, and the defense stonewalled them except for one drive.

If there was a time to believe it was safe to call it, that was pretty much it.

Some people want to defend Dino at all costs. I get it. People think he’s the last great hope for the program - and he probably is - but last night was one of the DUMBEST coaching moves I’ve seen in my life. Between this and those onsides kicks last year his style of game management is concerning.

You wanna get the frosh some non-garbage time game experience - go for it, but at least rotate possessions between the QB’s. Don’t let the kid shiz his pants 5 possessions in row and have it in his head that he’s single-handedly blowing the game.

Football is a game of momentum and Dino’s stubbornness allowed the other team to completely flip the momentum. WMU was playing fast and loose and our guys were tight and overthinking. And if it wasn’t for Dungey’s Rhode Island sized stones and overall badass-ness, we would have lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom