Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job

Fulmer - our version of Paul P. but with a national championship?

If not for a 5th down, it may have been Coach P, our version of Fulmer, but with a national championship.

The Nebraska AD is fired after a few games because the Cornhuskers are having a mediocre season. And, the Nebraska HC will be fired after three years - when the 2017 season ends.

The Florida HC is now getting death threats in his third year because the Gators are not national championship contenders.

The Tennessee HC is clearly gone at the end of this season, his fifth year, because the Vols are not national championship contenders.

Syracuse University does not pay SEC money, but it generally gives its coaches a decent chance to succeed - Shafer I guess being the exception to the rule.

Dino will not make Nick Saban money but he will be given a chance to be HC at Syracuse University for the rest of his career even if he does not win the National Championship or even the ACC Title.

He will end up making a lot more money and will have a far more fulfilling life if he stays in CNY - he will become a community leader and a legendary figure.

Jim Boeheim affords a very valuable lesson.

I don't think the calculus of not being successful ever enters his thought process so I doubt the "longer leash" at SU with lower expectations is something he would ever take into account when making a decision about staying vs going.

I do think that the SEC is desperate to compete with Saban and the Big 10 is desperate to compete with Meyer and the Big 12 is desperate for a final four berth. So, if he does get this things turned all the way around, I have no doubt that some school, and likely more than one, is going to be willing to give him an insane amount of money if they think he is the guy to beat Alabama or Ohio State.

Does he take it? Who knows? Does he think SU can compete for an NC? If not, I think he would go. If he does think that SU has no ceiling with him at the helm, how important is that money to him?

It’s not the money it’s the inconvenience. I’ve been thru a couple of these, they’re the worst. But great when it’s over.

If they’re not worried about the money they spend then why are they worried about resale value? Especially this soon?

I’m trying to picture a scenario where I buy a house for $500k and immediately put $60k into it so I can make sure I can sell it for $500k. I’d probably look at the buyer (in the mirror) and call him an idiot.

His home is only $500k? Sheesh. Cuse real estate is either DIRT cheap, or he has modest accommodation's... Mobile homes on their own land are going for $250k, near me. The renovation could just be something to do..

I would think, more importantly, would be sticking around until their daughter finished school. 20% of 1 years salary is essentially a flop house. Although, if real estate really is that cheap, maybe he can Net more $$ here.

Last edited:
Jim lives so below his means is there anyway he's been saving all that money to pay Dino when the time comes? No? Haha
He does claim to be The Biggest SU Football Fan.

Well said, the pressure here is nothing compared to the top programs...

Bill Snyder at K-State comes to mind but who are the longest tenured coaches in CFB?
Snyder retired they fired his replacement and brought him back.

His home is only $500k? Sheesh. Cuse real estate is either DIRT cheap, or he has modest accommodation's... Mobile homes on their own land are going for $250k, near me. The renovation could just be something to do..

I would think, more importantly, would be sticking around until their daughter finished school. 20% of 1 years salary is essentially a flop house. Although, if real estate really is that cheap, maybe he can Net more $$ here, vs expenses.

Lol $500k in central NY is a top of the line property. With some minor internet sleuthing of public databases, it's not difficult to find pictures of the home he bought.

Lol $500k in central NY is a top of the line property. With some minor internet sleuthing of public databases, it's not difficult to find pictures of the home he bought.
Shhhh... I already creepily did that...(genuinely curious about market diff) $1.2 mil in a wealthier area?

I'm poor, here. Have to get me a few butler's up there.

Maybe he does save some bank here, and can retire to a decent home in Hawaii... After building a Cinderella story in Orange.

Shhhh... I already creepily did that...(genuinely curious about market diff) $1.2 mil in a wealthier area?

Maybe he does save some bank here, and can retire to a decent home in Hawaii... After building a Cinderella story in Orange.
home prices are cheap here because the property taxes are outrageous. I don't know where Dino's house is but on a $500k house he's probably paying $15k in property tax per year

Random...you can buy a really nice lakehouse up in CNY for $200k...you can get a fixer still for $100k on Lake Ontario if you are willing to be 75-90 mins from Syracuse.

home prices are cheap here because the property taxes are outrageous. I don't know where Dino's house is but on a $500k house he's probably paying $15k in property tax per year
Ha!

He probably has a mansion on 20 acres.

I live in a shack on 44square feet and pay 15k in taxes.

His taxes in a real location would likely be around 40k.

I would think, more importantly, would be sticking around until their daughter finished school. 20% of 1 years salary is essentially a flop house. Although, if real estate really is that cheap, maybe he can Net more $$ here.

You can buy a McMansion for $500k in CNY. Houses like that down here closer to NYC would cost double, easily.
Triple in some of the tonier parts of Westchester.

But the property taxes in CNY are like you have a multi-million $ home. :confused:

Everything in cny is cheap. I pay $3k plus for a 1200 sq ft apt in brooklyn. Do you know what i could live in in syracuse for that? I do because ive looked and it makes me want to cry. Dinos comment about the traffic is hilariously true too...

People talk badly about syracuse but the quality of life is excellent, largely because its so affordable. If its going to be cold, i rather have it snow anyways. If the city could just get better economically somehow...

Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes

You guys are funny. Tax rate of $10 per $1000. A dirt cheap $5k on a $500k home. My entire town pays more.

So, houses are shockingly cheap, property taxes are about what we'd pay on a mobile home. (County median income 100k+, median home 7 times income, tax rate approx $25 per 1000)

Dirt cheap for him. Actually, rather amazing it's so cheap.

In a recent article, when asked if he was leaving, he laughed and specifically mentioned his renovation... As in, you think I'm crazy enough to renovate my home, when I'm leaving?

Good enough, for me.

Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes

You guys are funny. Tax rate of $10 per $1000. A dirt cheap $5k on a $500k home. My entire town pays more.

So, houses are shockingly cheap, property taxes are about what we'd pay on a mobile home. (County median income 100k+, median home 7 times income, tax rate approx $25 per 1000)

Dirt cheap for him. Actually, rather amazing it's so cheap.

In a recent article, when asked if he was leaving, he laughed and specifically mentioned his renovation... As in, you think I'm crazy enough to renovate my home, when I'm leaving?

Good enough, for me.

I don't own yet, but i think it's usually the school taxes that add up (plus village taxes if that is where the house is located)

Yeah that total tax rate in Syracuse of 39.06 is 19k on 500k. That is criminal. You guys need some tax reform up there and then a commission to investagate and jail who ever is stealing your tax dollars.

Yeah that total tax rate in Syracuse of 39.06 is 19k on 500k. That is criminal. You guys need some tax reform up there and then a commission to investagate and jail who ever is stealing your tax dollars.
Yeah. But he wasn't foolish enough to buy in poorly run Syracuse. I suspect homes are far cheaper in cuse... His towns rate is $10.117. $5k

It's all relative. Although, the median price would have to be about $130k to match, in cuse.

Either way, dirt cheap living, for his town(and some others in the area).

He can keep more of what's rightfully his, but I don't think he cares about that. He can build a national, Cinderella story , in orange. Can be near his daughter in school.

His own words, are the only thing you really have is your name. The story he can write here, is the stuff legends are made from. The stuff that makes the surname.

So yeah. He has a pretty great job in Syracuse.

I wasn’t really
Yeah. But he wasn't foolish enough to buy in poorly run Syracuse. I suspect homes are far cheaper in cuse... His towns rate is $10.117. $5k

It's all relative. Although, the median price would have to be about $130k to match, in cuse.

Either way, dirt cheap living, for his town(and some others in the area).

He can keep more of what's rightfully his, but I don't think he cares about that. He can build a national, Cinderella story , in orange. Can be near his daughter in school.

His own words, are the only thing you really have is your name. The story he can write here, is the stuff legends are made from. The stuff that makes the surname.

So yeah. He has a pretty great job in Syracuse.
making that point specifically to Dino just more of a general response to those speaking about their tAxes and those out of control rates lol

What's the bigger issue here, that he can live very well for $500k or that some idiots are willing to pay $250k for a garbage mobile home? And Upstate NY isn't the only area in the country with cheap real estate. Pretty much anywhere a good distance from major metro areas have cheaper real estate.

What's the bigger issue here, that he can live very well for $500k or that some idiots are willing to pay $250k for a garbage mobile home? And Upstate NY isn't the only area in the country with cheap real estate. Pretty much anywhere a good distance from major metro areas have cheaper real estate.

Lol. That's the price of a building lot, around here. Already has utilities on site, and mature trees. Put a new home up, and it instantly has more curb appeal than the treeless barrack's of the developments.

Many metro area are like this. Right outside of Syracuse , it's dirt cheap. That's a good thing.

So he can live on pocket change in CNY. Expenses easily triple, in some other metro areas.

Sounds like a great place, to make a good salary.

Yes, THIS. It's absurd. :mad:

DOCTOR Gross and FHCSMFS both sold homes in the $500k range last year, and both had taxes in the ~$25k range.
That's OBSCENE.

Assuming Dino lives in a similar neighborhood like those guys did, and JB does, then I'd assume his taxes would be similar.
If he lives a bit further afield, then sure, I'd imagine his taxes are lower/more reasonable - but then he's further afield.

We've moved from Westchester to Putnam and now to Ulster county.
Taxes in Westchester are insanely high - Putnam and Ulster are about the same, surprisingly.

Property values/costs in Ulster county (well, near New Paltz anyway) are not much cheaper than Putnam.
That's 1.5 hours away from NYC, and typical property and school taxes still total over $10k for most middle-class folks.
Not exactly a bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom