Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job

So he can live on pocket change in CNY. Expenses easily triple, in some other metro areas.

Sounds like a great place, to make a good salary.

If some SEC/Big 10/Big 12/Pac 10 AD thinks Dino Babers can take them to promised land, the offer he will get will make 60K less than a week's pay...

You can live really well ANYWHERE on the planet for 5-10MM a year...

Yeah. But he wasn't foolish enough to buy in poorly run Syracuse. I suspect homes are far cheaper in cuse... His towns rate is $10.117. $5k

He lives in DeWitt, where the school tax rate is another 23+ on top of that (climbing every year to pay for maintenance of those dead-end streets developers have been building for 3 decades). And they've got ridiculous library taxes, private trash hauling, and so on. Nickel-diming in the land of limited municipal services.

I've got a much better value in a nice neighborhood (walkable and with those mature trees you talk about) in Syracuse.

Everything in cny is cheap. I pay $3k plus for a 1200 sq ft apt in brooklyn. Do you know what i could live in in syracuse for that? I do because ive looked and it makes me want to cry. Dinos comment about the traffic is hilariously true too...

People talk badly about syracuse but the quality of life is excellent, largely because its so affordable. If its going to be cold, i rather have it snow anyways. If the city could just get better economically somehow...
My favorite line for syracuse is its the best place to live in the country 7-8 months out of the year, and the other 4-5 months keeps the riff raff out! Translation keeps the population down. And with whatever's going on with the climate this fall pseudo summer is lasting until November where we were swimming, hanging on the beach and paddleboarding just this past weekend up on Lake Ontario, and it's gonna be approaching the 70's again this weekend!

And add the following into the mix with things like this that continue the show how the reality really is:

Finger Lakes Tops List of “World’s Best Lakeside Retreats” | NY Malpractice Attorney | New York Lawyer

As someone who has lived and traveled all around the nation (and world for that matter) and is originally from NYC I can say with an objective eye there's no where else I'd rather be.

And you can get a lake house with a view like this for in the $100k's:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For gods sake my two mortgages (together!), taxess included, are still less than people pay in rent for some of these new apartments in downtown syracuse let alone a big city. Let's see that anywhere else.

And the taxes themselves aren't as bad as people make them out to be either when taken in complete context where as for example in Camillus they collect your trash and virtually everything else you put out front, have the best road maintance I've seen anywhere, etc.

Every time I see one of those dopes on another teams message board disparage the Cuse I'm tempted to write this response there, but then I think nah why let the riff raff know what we got up here!

Last edited:
Yes, THIS. It's absurd. :mad:

DOCTOR Gross and FHCSMFS both sold homes in the $500k range last year, and both had taxes in the ~$25k range.
That's OBSCENE.

Assuming Dino lives in a similar neighborhood like those guys did, and JB does, then I'd assume his taxes would be similar.
If he lives a bit further afield, then sure, I'd imagine his taxes are lower/more reasonable - but then he's further afield.

We've moved from Westchester to Putnam and now to Ulster county.
Taxes in Westchester are insanely high - Putnam and Ulster are about the same, surprisingly.

Property values/costs in Ulster county (well, near New Paltz anyway) are not much cheaper than Putnam.
That's 1.5 hours away from NYC, and typical property and school taxes still total over $10k for most middle-class folks.
Not exactly a bargain.
Again. His town, $500k =5k tax. Dirt cheap.

I also thought cuse tax rate of 39.06 was beyond criminal. However, Zillow says the median home price is a mere $81k. Sounds like 1980...Don't buy an expensive home in cuse.

Babers set himself up proper, and is getting way more bang for his buck, than he would in many other places.

Last edited:
Again. His town, $500k =5k tax. Dirt cheap.

I also thought cuse tax rate of 39.06 was beyond criminal. However, Zillow says the median home price is a mere $81k. Sounds like 1980...Don't buy an expensive home in cuse.

Babers set himself up proper, and is getting way more bang for his buck, than he would in many other places.

Taxes on houses that size in his neighborhood run between $15,000 and $25,000/year. Not sure where you are getting $5,000.

If some SEC/Big 10/Big 12/Pac 10 AD thinks Dino Babers can take them to promised land, the offer he will get will make 60K less than a week's pay...

You can live really well ANYWHERE on the planet for 5-10MM a year...

$60k is 1.25 week’s pay right now.

It’s not about the $60k.

Taxes on houses that size in his neighborhood run between $15,000 and $25,000/year. Not sure where you are getting $5,000.
I stand corrected. I got the tax rate of 10.117 from the county(5k). I just looked up the property, and the total tax was $19,600 in 2015...

It's creepy that everyone can do that. My apologies.

My favorite line for syracuse is its the best place to live in the country 7-8 months out of the year, and the other 4-5 months keeps the riff raff out! Translation keeps the population down. And with whatever's going on with the climate summer is lasting until November and we were swimming, hanging on the beach and paddleboarding just this past weekend up on Lake Ontario.

And add the following into the mix with things like this that continue the show how the reality really is:

Finger Lakes Tops List of “World’s Best Lakeside Retreats” | NY Malpractice Attorney | New York Lawyer

As someone who has lived and traveled all around the nation (and world for that matter) and is originally from NYC I can say with an objective eye there's no where else I'd rather be.

And you can get a lake house with a view like this for in the $100k's:
View attachment 113647 View attachment 113648 View attachment 113649
For gods sake my two mortgages (together!),maxes included are still less than people pay in rent for these new apartments in downtown syracuse let alone a big city. Let's see that anywhere else.

And the taxes themselves aren't as bad as people make them out to be either with taken in complete context where as for example in Camillus they collect your trash and virtually everything else you put out front, have the best road maintance I've seen anywhere, etc.

Every time I see one of those dopes on another teams message board disparage the Cuse I'm tempted to write this response there, but then I think nah why let the riff raff know what we got up here!
Holy crap!!!!! Congrats. Wish it was like that around here... 1 -2 million for basic water front. Seen the nicer ones go in the teens...You are a bazillionaire in other parts of the country.

Indeed. CNY has some perks that are unbelievable.

(Reminder to self: tell wife we are, basically, bazillionaire's... Not my fault that everyone else around here has eleventy seven gazillion ...)

Last edited:
Don’t you guys in New York also pay state income tax and a pretty high sales tax?

Don’t you guys in New York also pay state income tax and a pretty high sales tax?
yes and an extra gas tax, someone has to pay for the multi billion dollar new Tappan Zee Bridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom