Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why Dino Babers Has a Great Job

Regardless, that has nothing to do with how invested they may or may not be in staying in CNY. $60,000 is a drop in the bucket for a guy making 42 times that per year. It's the equivalent of the average person repaving their driveway. Could be necessary updates to increase the resale value of the home.

It’s not the money it’s the inconvenience. I’ve been thru a couple of these, they’re the worst. But great when it’s over.

If they’re not worried about the money they spend then why are they worried about resale value? Especially this soon?

I’m trying to picture a scenario where I buy a house for $500k and immediately put $60k into it so I can make sure I can sell it for $500k. I’d probably look at the buyer (in the mirror) and call him an idiot.

I'm getting ready to enjoy Babers teams on the Hill for the next 15 years or so. That said, this staff will leave and filter away for greener pastures not because a school pays more but because it's a promotion and well earned. As long as that is a slowish process and he has quality to replace the ones leaving SU is in and going to be in fantastic shape. Babers being the HC will always be the rock needed to build from and he'll be able to recruit assistants as well as he does players. The key to this whole thing to me is obviously Babers but to also pay the staff well enough for them to turn equal types of jobs down.

As for the house, you make improvements to fit your needs or to sell to leave or to sell and upgrade to another home in your area.

I would assume Dino was playing close attention when we played in a hurricane last year at Wake and played on a Chia Pet field this year at Miami. 6 games every year in a climate controlled Dome with field turf should be very appealing.

She’s putting $60k of renovations into their home. I know I wouldn’t live thru that if I wasn’t going to stay and enjoy it for awhile.

This guy makes 2.5mm (at least) and we think 60k improvement is gonna move the needle to whether he stays or goes. He probably is just doing what needs to be done to modernize the house he bought. 60k is a new kitchen.

I do agree w the wife sentiment. If she isn't feeling CNY then i could see the push to leave. Based on his resume, she's a football widow/gypsy. He moves every 2-3 years so she's probably feeling weird about being in the same place for so long.

This guy makes 2.5mm (at least) and we think 60k improvement is gonna move the needle to whether he stays or goes. He probably is just doing what needs to be done to modernize the house he bought. 60k is a new kitchen.

I do agree w the wife sentiment. If she isn't feeling CNY then i could see the push to leave. Based on his resume, she's a football widow/gypsy. He moves every 2-3 years so she's probably feeling weird about being in the same place for so long.

I took this off on an HGTV tangent, so it's my fault. And I'll stop. But some of you guys are caught up in the money and have no idea what I'm trying to say.

I took this off on an HGTV tangent, so it's my fault. And I'll stop. But some of you guys are caught up in the money and have no idea what I'm trying to say.

I think it's pretty clear what you're trying to say, I just happen to have the opinion that it's a rather insignificant sign of the intentions of the Babers family in regards to how long they are going to stay in CNY. They might be here 3 years or they might be here 20. Spending money to improve their living situation has no bearing on that, imho.

I think it's pretty clear what you're trying to say, I just happen to have the opinion that it's a rather insignificant sign of the intentions of the Babers family in regards to how long they are going to stay in CNY. They might be here 3 years or they might be here 20. Spending money to improve their living situation has no bearing on that, imho.

When they're making the decision on working on their house based on how the football team is currently doing - I would say it's more significant than you think.

He has a great job because he's arguably in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences in CFB. In theory, this provides him with the opportunity to win a national championship, the ultimate goal of all college football coaches. All he has to do is win the ACC and he then is likely to get into the CFB playoff. Again, let me state, in theory.

Dino is presently 2 years into a rebuild where he has made great progress. He knows the lay of the land, and I imagine has a sense of what kind of support he will receive from the administration in the future. I believe he knows what he can do here. We witnessed the beginning of it against Clemson. Going anywhere else, is very likely to put him back to square one.

So the question as he nears 60 is - am I closer to my goal where I am now 2 years into a rebuild, or do I want to start the process all over again somewhere new?

As far as pay goes, money can change a lot of things, but to some money is not the only thing.

Can I ask a question? Bill Snyder since 2009? Did he leave and come back? Where was he before? I picture him as the coach in the Michael Bishop years, am I wrong?

* so looked it up. He’s been there all but three or fours years of the last 28 years. He got rehired in 1999.

Can I ask a question? Bill Snyder since 2009? Did he leave and come back? Where was he before? I picture him as the coach in the Michael Bishop years, am I wrong?

Yes, he was there from 1989 until he retired in 2005. He then came back out of retirement in 2009.

When they're making the decision on working on their house based on how the football team is currently doing - I would say it's more significant than you think.

Seems like an odd thing to disclose to a contractor (and who knows if it was said in jest or not), but it's obviously not a bad thing.

That's fair. If someone comes along with $5M per year, I don't think she's going to say, but the granite countertops are almost in! So I get that.

They've been on a 2 year cycle of moving, and finally have the 7 figure salary, and if rumors are correct a guaranteed $15M+ (most certainly more $ if he's successful as he expects to be). So I just wonder if they both decided that it's time to settle in somewhere, which led to make this house what you want it to be.

Whether that's 3 years, 5 years, who knows. Really I just hope I'm right because I don't want him to go anywhere.

That's fair. If someone comes along with $5M per year, I don't think she's going to say, but the granite countertops are almost in! So I get that.

They've been on a 2 year cycle of moving, and finally have the 7 figure salary, and if rumors are correct a guaranteed $15M+ (most certainly more $ if he's successful as he expects to be). So I just wonder if they both decided that it's time to settle in somewhere, which led to make this house what you want it to be.

Whether that's 3 years, 5 years, who knows. Really I just hope I'm right because I don't want him to go anywhere.

Ditto

He has a great job because he's arguably in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences in CFB. In theory, this provides him with the opportunity to win a national championship, the ultimate goal of all college football coaches. All he has to do is win the ACC and he then is likely to get into the CFB playoff. Again, let me state, in theory.

Dino is presently 2 years into a rebuild where he has made great progress. He knows the lay of the land, and I imagine has a sense of what kind of support he will receive from the administration in the future. I believe he knows what he can do here. We witnessed the beginning of it against Clemson. Going anywhere else, is very likely to put him back to square one.

So the question as he nears 60 is - am I closer to my goal where I am now 2 years into a rebuild, or do I want to start the process all over again somewhere new?

As far as pay goes, money can change a lot of things, but to some money is not the only thing.
This^^^
After Clemson, its obvious that the sky is the limit for this program. Build a consistent winner here with a built-in homefield advantage like no other, take care of business in road games, and sure enough we'd be realistically looking at the CFP...and who knows what could happen there.
We're in a P5 conference to get us there, and if things fall right, theres no reason to think he can't win a NC here. I think Dino saw this before anyone else, and its why he took the gig.

As Dino himself said at his opening PC "Why not Syracuse"?
Why not is right.

He has already shown he can beat 1 of the big boys of the ACC in vpi and now he's shown he can beat 1 of the big boys in all of college in Clemson.

Once he gets all of his talent here and it's running on diesel and not fumes, Syracuse could be 1 of those teams running the table at home and being just 1 win @ Clemson or @ fsu from being undefeated heading into the ACC title game and a spot at the NC.

#indinoitrust

Last edited:
Tennessee has never been the same since Fulmer was fired.

He won an NC and should not have been fired.

The Vols have paid for their impatience and unrealistic expectations.
I'm not sure if it was the right move or not. They could've stuck with him, but I think it would've been a slow erosion. He seemed to be getting lazy and resting on his laurels. They've done a poor job of hiring since then. Kiffin showed promise and if not for the dominoes that fell with Pete Carroll leaving USC, he would've stayed. Dooley was a joke and, initially, Jones seemed to have things going in the right direction but underachieved with a couple veteran teams before this season's disaster. It happens to everyone. How long did Alabama flounder before they struck gold with Saban.

Why not is right.

He has already shown he can beat 1 of the big boys of the ACC in vpi and now he's shown he can beat 1 of the big boys in all of college in Clemson.

Once he gets all of his talent here and it's running on diesel and not fumes, Syracuse could be 1 of those teams running the table at home and being just 1 win @ Clemson or @ fsu from being undefeated heading into the ACC title game and a spot at the NC.

#indinoitrust

K’s optimism makes me uneasy

Lol

Why not is right.

#indinoitrust
I wanna run through a brick wall for you... yes you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom