Why do so many poster use "then" when they should use "than"?. | Syracusefan.com

Why do so many poster use "then" when they should use "than"?.

jvbj01

All Conference
The use of "then" vs "than".... I like pickles better then squash.

Not to judge people, but it makes them appear like they missed middle school English Class.

What are some of your pet peeves?

Momento vs Memento...drives me crazy when I hear someone giving a momento to someone else.

I can't spell or type so as long as I can understand it . . . . . . . . .

Not to judge people, but it makes them appear like they missed middle school English Class.

I go completely insane and want to flip over cars when people type "your" instead of "you're"

I don't understand how people can screw up lose vs. loose. But I see it at least once a week. Drives me batty

hmmmmm...use of...that is a killer...but from a comical perspective...this is a fun board...and why should we care unless it is not understandable...for example, there are posts that in or out of context make no sense so then I go crazy:bat:

People who screw up they're, their, and there.

People who say "he'll be dominate"... It's dominant

The one that drive me most nuts is when a poster says something is rediculous. It is ridiculous to call something rediculous!

The one that drive me most nuts is when a poster says something is rediculous. It is ridiculous to call something rediculous!

I blame texting for this one. Kids type "redic" for short instead of "ridic" so they probably assume it's "rediculous"

I don't understand how people can screw up lose vs. loose. But I see it at least once a week. Drives me batty

Because in British English it is "loose" whereas iin US English it is "lose". Some people are British or Canadian. And some Americans choose the first English listed in their language settings, which happens to be "English (Australia)", which also follows British English rules.

because some people like me just figured out recently how to use them properly, kind of :)

easy, irregardless. I hear it all the time. Chris matthews on tv. John Tompson. It's not a word!!

I have a list as long as my arm with common mistakes made using the English language. I teach a graduate seminar on Scientific Technical Writing; here are some of my top pet peeves.

that, which
ensure, insure, assure
effect, affect
farther, further
sit, set
lay, lie
between, among
capital, capitol
imply, infer
coarse, course
purposely, purposefully
illusion, allusion
accept, except
cite, site, sight
compliment, complement
lose, loose
its, it's
less, fewer

the toughest ones are who vs. whom and whoever vs. whomever

one more:

When the national anthem is sung at sporting events, I listen for the pronunciation of the word "perilous." A performer that sings "paraliss" should be embarrassed.

You guys proof and spell check your posts??? Damn, I am way out of my class here.

You guys proof and spell check your posts??? Damn, I am way out of my class here.

nope, i think some people spend wayyyyy to much time on a post worried about what the community will think if its not PC.

I go completely insane and want to flip over cars when people type "your" instead of "you're"
you, i and deutsch have something in common on this one.

also, "it's" when it's supposed to be "its" and "judgement" drive me a little meshuga

also like this one

"Dave and me went to the game"

"We was sitting there"

Mine is to and too. Some people seem to go out of there way to use the wrong one.

How about using "are" for "our?
This one gets my vote as well. How are these words even close?

"Once again <Media Person X> is hating on are team, how our we going to respond?" Are you kidding me?!?!

I don't know jvbj01 -

If you're going to correct grammar, get your post title correct:

Why do so many poster use "then" when they should use "than"?.

It should be POSTERS (plural) and you put a period and a question mark at the end of your sentence. ;)

I was an English major, have worked many years in the past as a writer and an editor, and have learned to TRY to let it go. And don't think that I don't make stupid mistakes. Happens all the time. When I was just out of SU, I was a medical writer, and those of us in the editorial department used to proofread each other's work. All of these seasoned, professional writers always had an error or two. I'd like to say it's just a message board, but I fear that if we say that, things can only get worse from that practice.

Then again, I certainly didn't proofread this. Fire away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom