Why do so many poster use "then" when they should use "than"?. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why do so many poster use "then" when they should use "than"?.

And by the way, my biggest pet peeve is when someone says "somewheres" or "nowheres." Yikes.

My wife gives me a hard time for saying acrossed vice across, which is correct.

The use of "then" vs "than".... I like pickles better then squash.

Not to judge people, but it makes them appear like they missed middle school English Class.

What are some of your pet peeves?
I thnk it depends on wear you went to school.

I don't know jvbj01 -

If you're going to correct grammar, get your post title correct:

It should be POSTERS (plural) and you put a period and a question mark at the end of your sentence. ;)

I was an English major, have worked many years in the past as a writer and an editor, and have learned to TRY to let it go. And don't think that I don't make stupid mistakes. Happens all the time. When I was just out of SU, I was a medical writer, and those of us in the editorial department used to proofread each other's work. All of these seasoned, professional writers always had an error or two. I'd like to say it's just a message board, but I fear that if we say that, things can only get worse from that practice.

Then again, I certainly didn't proofread this. Fire away!
Faegan: A compatriot !! I was editor of a scientific journal for 20 years. I cannot read anything without editing it in my head. I edit billboards as I drive past them. It is a terrible disease. On the other hand, I would hate to be afflicted with the inability to use my native language properly.

Possibly all time best is when people refer to our starting shooting guard as Trish. oy vey

Irregardless of how anyone spells teh words, we need to insure we (whose ever) our not being redic about it. Than your a idiot of coarse, and that’s a lose complement.

Their, did I miss anybody?

Irregardless, it shouldn't effect you're understanding of the message.

Nice. I can't stand when I hear people order an "expresso" instead of an espresso.

Pet peeve: when Mike Waters posts a story whose first line reads: "Harvey Grant knows the recruiting scene all to well."

No one affiliated with the Post-Standard should take umbrage to criticism of their work when writers and editors consistently whiff on basic English.

Irregardless of how anyone spells teh words, we need to insure we (whose ever) our not being redic about it. Than your a idiot of coarse, and that’s a lose complement.

Their, did I miss anybody?

Their... or there... or they're..... You hit my favorite one. I think that's the most common error here ... and the most inexcusable one.

next time go to the game alone lol
You either is or you isn't a linguist.:( I know Io ain't of them there fancy talkers . My hero George W slaughtered the use of the language like no other POTUS since Andrew Jackson. I was their to here him.:rolleyes:

My latest pet peeve is a verbal thing: when someone pronounces height as "heith" (like it should rhyme with width).

Then there is the use of "passed" rather than "past".

My latest pet peeve is a verbal thing: when someone pronounces height as "heith" (like it should rhyme with width).

Then there is the use of "passed" rather than "past".
Or the ever popular past pissed.:p

Faegan: A compatriot !! I was editor of a scientific journal for 20 years. I cannot read anything without editing it in my head. I edit billboards as I drive past them. It is a terrible disease. On the other hand, I would hate to be afflicted with the inability to use my native language properly.
Just curious... what journal?

I don't know jvbj01 -

If you're going to correct grammar, get your post title correct:

It should be POSTERS (plural) and you put a period and a question mark at the end of your sentence. ;)

I was an English major, have worked many years in the past as a writer and an editor, and have learned to TRY to let it go. And don't think that I don't make stupid mistakes. Happens all the time. When I was just out of SU, I was a medical writer, and those of us in the editorial department used to proofread each other's work. All of these seasoned, professional writers always had an error or two. I'd like to say it's just a message board, but I fear that if we say that, things can only get worse from that practice.

Then again, I certainly didn't proofread this. Fire away![/quote

That was done purposely. I was curious how many responses would be made before it was pointed out. You win the prize.;)

Honestly it is a matter of trying to type quickly. And not waste any more time than I already am on this board. If peeple want to judge my grammer, than go ahead. It's not like I'm trying to maintain a GPA anymore.

I used to go back and edit stuff, but have decided to F it. It takes way too long. My thoughts come in waves. I often go back to add stuff to sentences, and jump to another sentence mid-stream. This results in participle dangleberries all over the place. If people really want to judge a person by their grammar on the internet, then they need to take some advice from Buzz Shaw.

That said, lose vs loose drives me batty.

one more:

When the national anthem is sung at sporting events, I listen for the pronunciation of the word "perilous." A performer that sings "paraliss" should be embarrassed.

I'll stick up a little for this one. Singers are often taught to over enunciate and so vowels can sometimes sound different.

" For all intensive purposes" instead of " For all intents and purposes."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom