Why do you hate? | Syracusefan.com

Why do you hate?

GooseMutt

All Conference
There are teams out there like UConn, Georgetown, Duke, Rutgers etc that Cuse fans seem to find despicable.

Is it rivalry games we’ve been in and unfairly lost?
Is it the coaches we play against?
Is it jealousy (ie Duke recruiting)?
Is it the disposition and ire of opposing fans?
For me it’s the fans and their comments and conduct. Duke tops list for me!

There are teams out there like UConn, Georgetown, Duke, Rutgers etc that Cuse fans seem to find despicable.

I'll take a stab.

Perhaps in regards to UConn & Duke it's because they have 4 & 5 national titles respectively compared to our uno. And, Duke getting so many blue chippers over the years and all the national attention that came with it and winning...think Dallas Cowboys of yesteryear type sentiment.

Georgetown is obvious, as during our hay-day in the BE, they were our fiercest rivalry, the fights, altercations, etc. and them seemingly getting the better of us in stretches when we were both highly ranked. I recall the year we went to the national championship in '87, we were Georgetown's bitch for 3 games (including losing to them in the BE finals). Ironically, we went to the FF as they lost to Pitino's Providence team with Billy Donovan in the Great 8 I believe and then we beat the Fryers in the national semis. They only have one national championship ('84) but arguably should have at least 2 if not for one of the greatest upsets tourney history in '85 to an inferior opponent in 'Nova.

Rutgers for sure is perplexing and the seemingly obsession the board here has. Perhaps it's due to their greatest rise/achievements in football came in the BE when we were heading in the opposite direction? Otherwise, I really don't get it because they have not been a program (football or hoops) that went back and forth in winning against us over any prolonged period of our history that I recall. We have historically owned them.

Duke fans are the worst that they live in upstate NY and don’t know where Durham is...Georgetown has no fans...UConn fans are ignorant...Rutgers...meh
Duke fans have an elitist air about them and most have never touched a basketball in their lives. UConn fans are most street and abashing

Uconn are the most despicable and vile and I have no hesitation in saying that. Anyone who disagrees has never been to a Big East tournament. Duke are just annoying because they’re local bandwagon fans.
Ever observe fist fights? Hope not

For me it always starts with the coaches and how they teach their players to supposedly play. Thompson,Holland,Pitino and especially Dixon. Then add in the fair weather obnoxious fans they have and it becomes hatred. In a few cases it's not so much jealousy (Duke, Mich St,, Kentucky) as it is the home cooking they get even on the road and the nonstop blabbering by the announcers that helps them on signing day. S*** on Pitt.

For me as someone that doesn't live in New York and interact with any opposing fans, it's all about past games. I'm like JB, unfortunately I seem to remember and be bothered much more by the games we lose than the games we win. I can't stand UConn & Georgetown even if we don't play them as much anymore.

For me it always starts with the coaches and how they teach their players to supposedly play. Thompson,Holland,Pitino and especially Dixon. Then add in the fair weather obnoxious fans they have and it becomes hatred. In a few cases it's not so much jealousy (Duke, Mich St,, Kentucky) as it is the home cooking they get even on the road and the nonstop blabbering by the announcers that helps them on signing day. S*** on Pitt.
In Dukes case I hate the way the media guys revere them constantly

I wouldn't consider it hate. For Duke, UConn, Pitt and to a lesser extent Georgetown I always felt a sense of respect for well coached basketball teams that could play. Yeah, I hated when we would lose to them (still do) but that sense of bad blood came with a respect one should reserve for a worthy opponent.

The hate is reserved for Rutgers. And it's that kind of playa-hatin' get outta my kitchen you skankity-skank-scalawag never has-been never will-be a playa if you had a penny to buy a pimp a shoe-shine kinda hate...they talk alot of smack but never back it up. Got nothing but hate.

I thought this thread was going to be about why we are so hateful to each other!

Duke is currently #1 in my current most hated things in sports power rankings. They have held the spot for 764 weeks in a row.

The Astros tried to make a hard run at it recently but still came well short. Coach K makes Jeff Luhnow look like a saint.

Duke fans are to basketball what notre Dame is to football. My sister-in-law's brother is a dook fan. He's lived in Albany his whole life, didn't go to dook, decided he'd become a dook fan in his mid 20's, never been to a single game at Cameron and hates syracuse, and boeheim in particular.

He tries to goad me about hoops at family events. My response is always some version of "don't care what you say - ur not a real fan, so your opinion is meaningless." Some times I ask him to give me his depth at chart at (pick any position). He only knows the starters and can't. "Well that's why I don't consider you a real fan." It gets him really bent out of shape, yet he always seeks me out to try and goad me and he always gets the short end of the stick and gets pissed. Annoying as F, he is.

Uconn fans are generally classless . Hating them is natural.

G-Town... So many dirty, obnoxious players cycled thru there under towel-biter back in the day and the obvious history between both teams... Another natural hate.

Rutgers... Johnny-come-lately fan base with hefty helpings of stoopid and gold-chained, roided, Vito from Jersey Shore. Obnoxious and dumb. Another natural.

Last edited:
The Rutgers thing is lame. They had an ok football team when we had a bad one. Georgetown is historic, their fans are ok people outside of their limited knowledge of hoop (which comes from watching one game a year). UConn is some bad MSG history and they are bitter, with pretty good reason.

Duke is the measuring stick, the national fanbase, the relationship b/t the two coaches, the whole show.

I'm conflicted... I'm married to a dook fan. :(

Actually I'm not (conflicted that is). Dook is the worst. The absolute worst. My in-laws are okay, but when it comes to dook, they're intolerable. Once Coach K leaves, many won't know what to do. Dook has such a hypocritical, elitist, arrogant fan base. Bring up the potential of cheating, they look to Kentucky cause no way they need to cheat. Everyone wants to go to dook. They get beat, it's because every team plays gets up for them or they got screwed by the refs. When they're disliked by opposing fans, it's because they're the best program in the country and everyone else is just jealous. Mention a rivalry outside of UNC, no other team is worthy. They all secretly have pics of Laettner under their pillow - I caught my wife with one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom