Why Does SU Women's Basketball not get more support and media coverage? | Syracusefan.com

Why Does SU Women's Basketball not get more support and media coverage?

Dr. Bill

Scout Team
I support Syracuse Women's basketball and have travelled to see more Women's games in the past 5 years, than men's basketball games. Having said that, I wonder why the fan support for the women is what it is? The media coverage borders on high school basketball in some states that I have lived in. There should be tons of articles
on recruiting, and the status of the team in the same way there is for the Men's Program! Coach Jack has done an outstanding job taking over after the trauma and drama of the previous coach. Syracuse Women play an exciting brand of basketball and have one of the best players in all of Women's College Basketball in D. Fair!
The Women's game is growing by leaps and bounds. I live in South Carolina. Dawn Staley and the Women's Program is so popular, you can't even get a ticket to see a game. Now, would be a great time for the Syracuse Community to Show Syracuse women's basketball some love and go out and support the team! Go to some games, bring your family and friends. I am going to call out the Media as well....Start writing some articles about Syracuse Women's basketball. We want to know as much about the Women's team as we do about the Men's team.

I think the key to get more fans, more fan interest, more press coverage, etc. is for the team to start winning consistently.

I think Coach Q was close to breaking through and making women's basketball at Syracuse a big thing. Hopefully Coach Jack can take this team to the next level.

Agree the players deserve more support.

Winning will help!​

Coach FLJ, given time, will bring the team to a nationally ranked program, IMO!
IMG_9249.jpeg

They need our support now! It is easy to jump on the band wagon when you have a program like South Carolina. Let's support these women and help them become great!!
I have no interest in woman's hoop and I never will. It just doesn't interest me in the least. And it's not woman's sports that don't interest me. I love, love, love, woman's softball. I follow it almost as close as I follow men's soccer. And I have been to more soccer games over the past 30 years than men's basketball or football. When the womans' softball team played up here at Ct., I was right there.

MSOC won a National Championship last year.

WROW had their best season ever.

Yet you never see any coverage in the local paper either.

MSOC won a National Championship last year.

WROW had their best season ever.

Yet you never see any coverage in the local paper either.
Quite frankly, the way local newspapers have cut back on their coverage of almost everything, I feel grateful that we get a scoreboard and the standings.

You can only cover what you have the budget to cover. The Post Standard today is not the paper it was 10 years ago. They've cut every corner imaginable.

From today’s paper - maybe they listened.

Having 2 legit bigs to hold down the C spot will be literally huge for this team.

They got bullied inside often last year, so hopefully that ends ASAP.

Hopefully they get sufficient rebounding and 3-pt shooting out of this combination of players.
Those look to be the holes coming into this season.

I always wished they'd play before the men's game. Have a 60-90 min break? Seems like they'd get better crowds and maybe stir up more local interest...I'd like to see more of their games but I wouldn't make the hour drive and January hike up the hill for it

I think the key to get more fans, more fan interest, more press coverage, etc. is for the team to start winning consistently.

I think Coach Q was close to breaking through and making women's basketball at Syracuse a big thing. Hopefully Coach Jack can take this team to the next level.

Agree the players deserve more support.
win, win, win and the seats will gradually fill . and get some local star ( female Starling)

I’m not shocked. It’s not like it’s HUGE but in a handful of places. Even the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA.
I don’t know how you change it. It would be great to.

I may be wrong but only professional women's tennis even comes close to men's in popularity, the rest aren't even close.

The question that Dr. Bill asked remined of a question my wife asked me the other day. "Why is it that basketball and football are the only sports with cheerleaders"? My answer was it was because that's where the most fans are.

It’s kind of like retail. There are certain products you have to sell. Some products virtually no one buys but you have to sell. Those products don’t get advertised, don’t get prime real estate in the store, because there is no ROI.
You’ll never see wegmans advertise hemorrhoid cream, and stock them in bulk on a main aisle end cap.

I’m not shocked. It’s not like it’s HUGE but in a handful of places. Even the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA.
I don’t know how you change it. It would be great to.
I live in CT and have seen the best women's hoops for decades. The team is supportive and many fans follow recruiting and games with equal fervor. Of course it is because the women,s team is always competing for a championship and always has a legit shot to get one. Yes, their men's team has more supporters but the women's team is always well supported, well funded and has the best coaching in the country. Plus the coach is a real personality.

I live in CT and have seen the best women's hoops for decades. The team is supportive and many fans follow recruiting and games with equal fervor. Of course it is because the women,s team is always competing for a championship and always has a legit shot to get one. Yes, their men's team has more supporters but the women's team is always well supported, well funded and has the best coaching in the country. Plus the coach is a real personality.
True. There will always be an exception. Look at the support our soccer team has now with wins.

Winning fixes the popularity issue. Q had a winning team which prompted me to get a ticket for womens bball. I've gone to the ACC tourney a couple of times, Louisville womens bball has a giant following as does Miami. I think we'll get there with FLJ but it's going to take a few more years.

One benefit of some of the games not being televised is that the games seem to flow better. Way less nonsense while waiting around for play to resume than at the men’s games. Being able to pick your own seat is amazing too. Cheap tickets. It’s not a bad day at all.

Winning fixes the popularity issue. Q had a winning team which prompted me to get a ticket for womens bball. I've gone to the ACC tourney a couple of times, Louisville womens bball has a giant following as does Miami. I think we'll get there with FLJ but it's going to take a few more years.
Support them...before they get successful! Maybe, just maybe, a strong show of support and some more love is what they need...NOW!!!

So yesterday I was contacted by one of the sports reporters about something else. We were messaging back and forth. At the end, I mentioned that I was going to be in Las Vegas for the Thanksgiving tournament, and was anyone from the paper going to be there. The response was that they get a very low rate of views for women's basketball and it does not justify spending the money to send someone there.
So make sure you all read any stories about women's basketball, over, and over, and over, and tell all of your friends to click on the stories also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom